Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my 10/22 has recieved it's first mods.

I participated in a fund raising shoot this morning and had a lot of fun, but I did realize that it was time to start working on my 10/22. I thought my groups were pretty good, but after seeing what others were doing with their modified rifles, I decided to do a little work to mine. I figure it couldn't hurt, so I got to work after coming home.

After sitting down and figuring out what I could do without having to order parts, I tore it down. I free floated the barrel, shimmed the receiver good and snug and done a trigger job. I'm anxious to get out tomorrow and see if it did any good or not. The stock was actually putting quite a bit of pressure on the barrel. Hopefully I will see some results.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice! Hope it works out well for you :)

I have a question about free-floating. Is it hard on the receiver to free float the barrel, seeing as the receiver is aluminum and the barrel is steel? (stock barrels are fairly heavy) Or does it not make a difference?

Just curious

·
The Shooterologist
3,992 Posts
Good luck with your mod! Tricking out it 10/22 can sure make one heck of a shooter out of it.
Every now and then one of the top shooters (in our weekly benchrest matches) leaves his competition rifle aside and breaks out his modified 10/22. Their scores are amazing, while they don't win the match, but they shoot in the upper 50%. Since they are competing against Anschutz 54s' and Remington 40xs', to me, this is saying a lot especially a clip fed rifle against a single shot rifle.
Some of these 10/22s will have a volquartsen barrel and some a Kidd barrel, however they are in the hands of top shooters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
polaris 754
Many have found their carbines shoot better without the pressure of the barrel band. Test your 10/22 without the band. If it does better, you can leave it off or file out the inside of the upper part so it doesn't touch the barrel.
This does not eliminate the rest of the stock touching the barrel. Some file out the stock and bed the receiver and first part of the barrel. Others have found supporting the barrel near the end of the stock with a pad from a bicycle inner tube nets improvement.
Non barrel band 10/22 models generally have a bump near the end of the channel in the stock to support the barrel so they are not free floating.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well....Got her out and done some shooting with it today. The mods didn't hurt anything. If anything they made it a little better. I'll try and get some pics up.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I shot two, five shot groups with two different types of ammo @ 45yds though it and here is what kind of results it was giving. The Centurion did the best. The Blazer wasn't a slouch by any means though.

The best group with the Centurion....5 shots, 1/2" outside to outside! :)
The best group with the CCI Blazer.....4 shots 5/8" outside to outside, including flyer, 1" outside to outside

Between the two types of ammo out of four, five shot groups, it averaged 7/8" groups. I would like to go back and sit down with several types of ammo and see what happens. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like you have a good start on putting together a good shooter....remember....shoot straight and shoot often...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts