Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to get my haircut today and since the closest LGS was only 10 minutes away I decided to see if that had gotten in a 10/22 Sporter. Well, they didn't have any but right next to where the keep the Ruger rimfires was this fine looking Marlin Golden 39A vintage 1960 lever action. Nice bluing, no rust, good furniture. They had just taken it in a day ago and the fellow said I was about the 8th person to look at it today. Not knowing much about Marlins, I really didn't think I would buy it. About that time 2 guys are circling around me and this rifle. They both said it looked pretty nice. Finally one of them said that he had quite a few 39A's and he even had a serial # list in his wallet. He told me that it was in very good condition and that his brother had told him it was there and he had actually come to buy it.
There is more but to make a long story short - I took it home. Put 15 rds through it right as it got dark. A fine shooter and I love the action. It has a Redfield 2.75x scope on it and it was just about right on at 25 yds.
I got it for $300. Seemed like a lot, but the "expert" said it was worth more than that. What say you guys??

Maybe I will use it in Div #3 of the Fall Contest.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Today was your lucky day.
the 39A are an excellent lever action. Very smooth & easy to take down.
Looks like an older Denver Colorado Red Field scope. When the were in business they had a room in the back where you could purchase new factory seconds.
They are a smooth shooter.
Nice find. You are right. Those other guys would have bought it. The other eight are sorry they didn't.
I believe that series of rifle was made from 1957 until 1975.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I believe you did considerably well today.
Nice lever gun.
Congratulations, enjoy.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
You may want to go over to MarlinOwners.com and check out the "Reference Library" and the "Rimfires" forums to get a lot more info on that great shooter...

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Can't think of a finer lever gun. My 39A is a '62 vintage, but I've had others. It really is the Cadillac of 22s, as Marlin has advertised it down through the years. Has been my all time favorite squirrel and woods gun.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Great find... I would have pulled the trigger too.....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
There is a Marlin 39A on the auction list for the sale I am attending this weekend. The online- bidding for it is already over $200, so I anticipate it going over $300 at the 'live auction' session. You did well, and the Marlin is a fine 22.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I got it for $300. Seemed like a lot, but the "expert" said it was worth more than that. What say you guys??
At least from the local pricing of 39As (when you can find them), $300 is stealing it.
Great find.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
At least from the local pricing of 39As (when you can find them), $300 is stealing it.
Great find.
I agree. Used, pre-Remington Marlin 39As and especially 39As of that vintage often bring as much as a new 39A, often as much as $500. I didn't pay quite that much for mine, but I did pay more than $300 and felt good about it.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Very nice looking rifle! Had one a long ways back and loved it...wish I still had it. Good luck with it & happy shootin'

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I've never been a lever fan (apart from my yellow boy), but I'd have bought it.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I've never been a lever fan (apart from my yellow boy), but I'd have bought it.
Me neither. I didn't care for lever actions or wheel guns. But they sort of grow on you. Two years ago I had one lever (Henry H001) and one wheel (1943 Nagant). Now I have five levers and six wheels.

·
Registered
91 Posts
the marlin 39A is an excellent rifle...it just isn't as upgradable as a 10/22..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts