Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had every intention of buying the SP101 today but the hammer was ridiculously hard to cock. It felt like I was going to break the hammer off before it would cock. Maybe it was a dud but it was the only one in stock. I know about the Wolff spring kits but it just turned me off.

It may have been a blessing in disguise though because I happened to see a blued revolver in the back corner of the bottom shelf of the display case. It was a Single Six 4.62" barrel with adjustable rear sight. Well, it's now the companion to my GP100 MC. They look like brothers from different mothers but I expect these guys to be around forever. I know the MC isn't going anywhere and my gut feeling is Single Six will be a keeper as well.

The store also had a stainless 5.5 Single Six but I preferred the lighter weight and feel of the blued model with the 4.62 barrel. I also like like the additional 22 mag cylinder as its a cartridge I really enjoy shooting out of my RAR 22 Mag. I gave it a good cleaning when I got home and tested the trigger with a snap cap. It registered about 3.75 lbs. on my cheap Timney scale. I like it!

The plan is to shoot the snot out of it as a plinker with my wife and boys. It will be a fun, slower paced alternative to shooting our Buckmarks.

I plan to hit the range later this week. More to come...

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I believe you did ok.
Congratulations..... ;)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Probably the better choice, the action on those .22 SP101's is ridiculous..........I have one, figure it will make a good "trainer" since I want to get back into some informal "gun games", but I also plan to get a Single Six for "fun" at some point.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Good for you. My husband and I have been on a Single Six tear, this summer, and love ours. The SS is just one of those guns that is never a mistake to buy and shoot.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had my single six for nearly 25 years. It was the first gun I bought. I was shooting it just a few weeks ago. Still fun and accurate.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The Single Six is kind of like the 10/22..........it's been around so long, and been a part of so many people's lives both as children and now, it's become a part of American culture.

Even people who are "not really into guns", during a family barbeque at a house where someone has some property, will usually give in to curiousity and want to fire a cylinder of .22's if a Single Six comes out. Most people just seem fascinated by thumb busters and .22's are fun to shoot.

There's probably not many people who are shooting enthusiasts who didn't grow up with at least either a 10/22, Single Six or Mark I in the house.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Great choice and congrats! I've tried to warm up to the SP101 22LR but I just can't for some reason. I even went to buy one but couldn't do it for some reason.

People always talk about this gun or that gun as the one gun every gun owner should own (1911, 30-30, etc). IMO, if you consider yourself a gun nut and you don't own a Single Six you're missing out on one of the best firearms ever made.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses.

I look forward to putting it through its paces this week. I don't plan to make many changes other than maybe painting the front sight. I did order the Hogue overmolded rubber grip to see how it changes the grip angle and comfort. It looks like it may make the grip a little more like my GP100...which sounds in theory like something I might prefer.

We are looking to buy a weekend recreation property. I can see plinking at cans with CB Shorts from the deck with the Single Six. I love the flexibility of ammo choices. Unless it isn't reliable I can't see how I wont enjoy this revolver.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I look forward to putting it through its paces this week. I don't plan to make many changes other than maybe painting the front sight. I did order the Hogue overmolded rubber grip to see how it changes the grip angle and comfort. It looks like it may make the grip a little more like my GP100...which sounds in theory like something I might prefer.

We are looking to buy a weekend recreation property. I can see plinking at cans with CB Shorts from the deck with the Single Six. I love the flexibility of ammo choices. Unless it isn't reliable I can't see how I wont enjoy this revolver.
I've never heard that phrase uttered in regard to a Ruger single action revolver. Never. I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue. :)

PS: I probably just jinxed you with that statement. Sorry....:eek:

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Can't argue with that 'result'! Congrats on the find!

My first ever revolver purchase was a 1988 6.5" Stainless Single-Six with both cylinders...still have it...still shoot it...still love it!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I love plinking with 22short in my single10. They're about as quite as my airgun and they are incredibly accurate. The cans won't stand a chance...

·
Registered
952 Posts
You did better than me.
Last month I set out to buy a SP101. LGS owner had a used one for $400.
Came home with a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long bed 4x4 for the wife.
A tad more than $400.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was able to get in a quick range session in today. I shot 22 lr, 22 long and 22 short. CCI standard velocity ran the best and is what I used to adjust the sights. The Remington gold bullets (lr and shorts) were all over the place for me. I'm not sure if it was the ammo, the shooter, or both. I have never had good luck with that Remington in any of my 22's. Everything went bang but the cylinder started to stick after 50 rounds. I tried wiping it down with a rag but to no avail. I decided to stop after about 10 more rounds as I didn't want it to freeze up.

I then switched to 22 Mag and ran 18 rounds through it that way. The sights were way off and I decided to call it a day as I was mainly verifying fit and function.

My first observation is it is a whole lot of fun to shoot the 22 lr. The extra 22 mag cylinder is nice to have but I don't see shooting it much unless as a backup when hunting with my RAR 22 Mag. This one's primary purpose is plinking so it's diet will mostly be 22 lr and shorts.

I was a bit surprised that the cylinder begin sticking so quickly. It was one chamber then the neighbor next to it. I gave it a pretty good cleaning prior to going so I wasn't expecting that. Is that normal?

The grip will take some getting used to. It's unlike anything I have ever shot. I think the Hogue overmolded grip may be a nice upgrade but I'm going to continue with this grip for a while to see how I adjust to it.

All in all it was great fun. I look forward to the next range visit so I can get to know it better!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have had my Single Six since my Dad gave it to me in 1974.

I have an early SP101 snub and a more recent SP101 three inch.
I figured it was time for the SP101 .22.........

I ended up trading the SP101 .22. I guess the Single Six is just so familiar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts