Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Count Ursunk
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was born in the fifties,we had 3 channels when we got our first t.v.....12,9,and 4. we got the news,sports,and weather.all i cared about was them sauerdee shootumups.does anyone remember a western where the main characters name was "sugarfoot"?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sure do... 1957...Will Hutchins...see www.fiftyswebtv.com...and I was born in 49 when my grandma had a bw console with radio and hi-fi that worked till she died in 2000...and only two channels for years...then ABC was born and we all got up early and put it on 3 and waited for the test pattern and then the station began broadcasting...that was the big cowboy station around us...oh, hoppy day!!!! and cisco and pancho and rawhide and Tales of Texas Rangers and......many fond memories.....

·
Count Ursunk
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks sheepdog.no one seems to remember that one.cant remember the jingle,but i can see in my memory a glimpse of how the show started.allways liked the rifleman and gene and the boys.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I watched that western too, he always seemed to get into gun play. He never wanted to carry a gun. Always had one but it was in his saddle bag. And he drank saprilla with a dash of cherry, found out later in life it was root beer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'll be 60 next month and I still watch reruns of the old cowboy shows. We have an additional bunch of channels that we access for an extra $11.00 fee each month on our Cable TV package. The entire channel is old cowboy reruns!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Ron, I'd never get any work done...I loved Randolph Scott best of all..and Steve McQueen on Josh Randall, Bounty Hunter....

·
Registered
704 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Ron, I'd never get any work done...I loved Randolph Scott best of all..and Steve McQueen on Josh Randall, Bounty Hunter....
"WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE". I even had the toy rifle and plastic leg rig with the snap ring fast draw retainer. Those were some fun times to be a kid.... :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I did, too...wonder what it'd be worth today...found a small capgun I used to keep 2 of in my front pockets when they were .99 each...paid $15 for it and let my son shoot it some...that night he told me I could get on the internet $59 for it...no way...sell my childhood for $59? Lots of our old toys would have helped us retire....but what do you save???

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm 70 now and still watch the old westerns on cable. Recently been watching the Rifleman, Bat Masterson, Gunsmoke and Bonanza. Just got a New Vaquero to add to my Vaqueros, Blackhawks, Colts and others.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I was already "growed up" before my mom and dad ever got a tv, but I can remember coming
home from work and setting around with dad and watching "Gun Smoke with dad. We both got
hooked on that one. Seemed like that it was the only show he really enjoyed watching.

·
Count Ursunk
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i remember the first set of six guns i got for christmas.i was about 5 yrs old.my oldest brother worked in the kansas wheatfields with mr. newfell(dont know if the spellin is correct for the owner). i pulled them guns on everybody that mornin but they paid me no attention. that changed quickly when my brother showed me how to put that roll of caps in . lol.... i looked just like the cisco kid. you couldnt tell me nothin when i walked down the hall!!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
"Tales of the Texas Rangers!"...darn, Sheepdog, ain't heard that one in a while...believe th' lead was a Ranger character-named Jace Pearson.

N' yeah, I remember Gene n' Roy n' Matt n' Cisco...a little later, Ward Bond and Wagon Train...Oh, and how about Death Valley Days, sponsored by Twenty Mule Team Borax?

Oh..and...remember Sky King and the wholesome, pretty "Penny"?

Talkin' about th' toy guns...my Dad...90 this year..has an old home movie ( 1950 ) of yours truly, complete with Sheriff star and two gun rig. I still get ribbing about knowin' what th' future was to hold!

Those WERE th' days!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Guns every Christmas...guns every birthday...what happened to that great tradition??? Sure don't happen now....Robert Culp...Trackdown...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I still love to watch reruns of Gun Smoke.

My first horse was a buckskin because I loved the color, but especially because Matt Dillon rode one even if he looked bigger than the horse. :)

I always appreciated how when in a fist fight, Matt would always seem to get beat up a bit and be almost out of the fight. Then he would get a second wind and come on like gang busters and whoop the tar out of the bad guy(s) - it didn't matter if there was one bad guy or six, Matt Dillon could take em in the long run.

But I pitied the lame a$$ fool that was stupid enough to draw on Matt. He was the fastest gun in the West. Heck maybe the whole world. :D

And then some of those awful faces he would make when he was hurt... Pure Gold.

Skunk

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Well, boys, I think most of you have a few years on me (i'm 40). But, I loved The Rifleman best of all the TV westerns. Ole Lucas McCain could kick some butt with that Winchester! Most of the TV westerns just did not turn me on like ole John Wane and Clint Eastwood movies.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Required viewing for us was
The Virginian
High Chaparral
Gun Smoke
Bonanaza

·
Registered
156 Posts
Let's not forget the show that brought us Linda Crystal - The Big Valley! And does anyone remember "Fury" and "My Friend Flicka"? And how about Rusty and his trusty dog Rin Tin Tin? How about the later series starring Chuck Connors, after the Rifleman - "Branded"? BTW, did ya know that Mr. Connors played Major League Baseball for the Los Angeles Dodgers? He was an outfielder. "Death Valley Days" was hosted by Ronald Reagan for a time. My alltime favorite was, of course, "Rawhide" starring Gil Hodges and the incomparable Clint Eastwood. And nobody has mentioned ol' Roy and Dale. To bring up the bottom of the list, I absolutely HATED "F Troop". Never did see the humor in it, and there was never any action, only copy cat Gilligan's Island skits. Utterly stupid.

And last but not least, The Wild, Wild West rocked! Robert Conrad at his best.

That's the best of my recollection. Wow, thanks for this thread. Brings back a flood of memories.

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts