Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new set of kitchen knives, want a set of nice knives, I don’t want a cheap set. I would like a quality set of knives that will last and are sharp! Any ideas?

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
My wife has both German Wüsthof and Japanese Global in her large knife block. They are both good enough to last a lifetime. I keep them razor sharp with my Edge Pro system. I only have to touch them up a couple times a year and they get used a LOT. My wife is a hard-core foodie and is in the kitchen much of the day, seven days a week.

Williams Sonoma and Sur la Table are both high end cooking stores that carry good knives. Sur la Table in particular does not carry any junk products.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Zwilling J. A. Henckels are very good knives. They have varying degrees of quality sets but even the less expensive set of them are good.

Just a couple tips..
Look for a forged blade, not stamped... get a good multi grade sharpening stone and if you don't know how, learn to sharpen a blade properly... not with one of those gimmick sharpening tools. Take a honing steel to the blade often between sharpening. Never cut on anything except wood or plastic cutting board and hand wash only, never dishwasher.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Henckels hand down. I have a set of 12 over 25 years old, very easy to maintain sharpness. In fact I just sliced myself last night pealing SC early peaches.

·
Cat Herder
1,491 Posts
I've used Henkels, Wusthof, Chicago, and some other brands. My knife block is just a mix and my wife refuses to let me replace with a set. The Wusthof are probably the nicest and my favorites (and they are among their cheaper lines of knives). The rest are usable but take more sharpening.

When they open back up, check out Sierra Trading Post, they sometimes have nice knife sets for very good prices (part of the TJ Maxx family).

·
Exchequer
4,352 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with Wustof or JA Henckels. But you'll probably pay around $300 for a set with block.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with Wustof or JA Henckels. But you'll probably pay around $300 for a set with block.
Minimum. And that’s for a block with few knives and the cheaper handles. For Wüsthof’s better lineup and more knives, it can be closer to a grand usually, but I see Sur la Table is running some big sales and free shipping.

Here’s a sale price on a good set that’s not too small but room to add more pieces later.

If it were me I’d pick that up on sale and add a santoku knife if you do any vegetable chopping.

I think you’ll be happier with Wüsthof over Henkels, personally, just for a little more blade hardness. Globals and other good Japanese brands are harder yet, but take a little more time to sharpen.

·
Super Moderator
21,082 Posts
I bought a wooden handle set in a block the first couple of years we were married. We will hit 50 this year and the only markings on the knives are the USA on the blades. I think I have seen similar looking sets sold by Chicago Cutlery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 3 best kitchen knives IMO in order would be Wustof, Sabatier and Cutco. Sabatier does have some low end chinese product to stay away from but very little, unlike Henkels. That being said if you were on a tight budget I would say get the Henkels (two man) made in spain knives, they are all forged and come from Toledo Spain and for the price cannot be beat. Wustof's poultry shears are hands down THE best set of poultry shears on the planet.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I agree with everyone above. In our kitchen upstairs (not Mrs. Aqualung's work kitchen downstairs), I have a Henkels set I got as a wedding gift, 25 years ago. It's a great set and they hold up very well. I also have a Chicago knife added in as well, and that's great, too.

However, I want to suggest something else. If you're not up to dropping several hundred on a knife set, I know of an alternative to consider.

Look into finding a restaurant supply house and check into their commercial offerings. They may not be the most attractive knives, with their white, plastic handles, but they sure take a heck of a beating and hold an edge. If they didn't hold up in the commercial kitchens with the constant and hard use, they're not worth a dime, so they're built to take the punishment. Talk with the sellers there and see what they have for quality and durability. Then, you could build your own set for a fraction of the cost of the higher price sets.

Are they the super-duper, precision quality offered by the $1500.00 sets? No. But is your use going to justify the cost?

It kind of goes to the same consideration of whether you want a $3,700.00 Korth revolver or an $800 Ruger GP100

Just another consideration.

Aqualung

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
This coming from an avowed , life long , knife interested person who cooks every day and is tight with a $ ... Check out the kitchen knives by Forschner . These are the kitchen knives made by Victorinox ( Swiss Army Knife fame) the Swiss make good blades .
They make 3 basic block sets ranging in price from $190.00 to $340.00 depending on how large a set you want .
I own many , have used just about all (even Randall Made kitchen knife) and the Forschner are the ones I usually grab . Good value , not just paying for a name.
I sharpen mine with a steel ...a few quick strokes and the edge is razor sharp .
My father and brother were / are butchers and used a steel to sharpen . My brother turned me onto this brand ...it's the brand they use in his meat cutting / butcher shop .
There is a commerical line and they are great value for single knives . Commerical meat cutting knives must perform or they will not be used very long...my brother swears by Forschner and he cuts meat for a living .
Gary

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,754 Posts
I'm not a chef or foodie and can't justify nice kitchen knives but we've had some Chicago Cutlery knives that were a wedding present over 35 years ago and that are still going strong. We finally retired a really cheap set of junk knives and replaced with a set of Chicago Cutlery in a block that is also holding up really well. One piece blade and tang with some kind of phenolic material for handles but they hold an edge well enough for us kitchen hacks and the cost was under $200. I guess when it comes to kitchen knives I'm more of a Hi-Point guy.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If you have the money look into the German manufacturers: Zwilling, Wusthof, and Boker.

If you want something that will last and not break the bank, the Old Hickory knives (Ontario Knife Co.) hold up really well. They just aren't as refined.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies, I am really leaning toward a set of Wüsthof knives, after reading a few articles on line I think I may go with a set of them!

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
If you have the money look into the German manufacturers: Zwilling, Wusthof, and Boker.
I forgot about Böker! Once on a “language immersion” trip when I was studying German, we took a tour of the major Solingen “Manufakturen” and I really fell in love with Bökers. I have some of their pocket knives but forgot they did kitchen cutlery as well.

Yeah if you really wanted a set of knives that were beautiful as well as functional, and not the same brand as everyone else on the block, the walnut handle Damascus Bökers are truly works of art.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
How expensive are they?
Check out their English version of their website. Some of the olive wood / Damascus knives are "only" in the $200s per knife. I'm only seeing the walnut / Damascus ones on their German website in Euro prices. Maybe not available in the USA, but the olive wood is even more attractive.

Böker has always done some funky things with their Damascus like limited runs of knives with layers of steel from antique tanks and battleships. Those are usually beautiful but crazy expensive in the many hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Böker has some serious, sexy style to their Solingen-made knives. They're the Aston Marton of knives, in my opinion.

And for hunting and pocket knives, their "Arbolito" Argentinean-made ones are very good value. I have one of those in a fixed blade hunter / stag handle knife with "good" 440C steel. It's so sharp it cuts through the toughest animal hide like a light sabre through a frozen tauntaun. (Empire Strikes back reference. LOL)

Let me know if there are any other ways I can help you spend your money!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just replaced all of our kitchen knives with Victorinox knives and a set of Victorinox steak knives. Not expensive at all and man o man do they hold a very nice edge. Easy to sharpen as well.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts