Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
[QUOTE="FeralCatKillr, post: 4520454, member:
Let me know if there are any other ways I can help you spend your money!
[/QUOTE]
Will do, thanks!

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,667 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with Wustof or JA Henckels.
My favorites too. Japanese knives are lovely but pricey here, and I am still using 20+ year-old Cutcos, too. I built my set like my gun collection, a piece at a time as I found ones that fit my grip and needs.

I cook a lot, and did before the pandemic. They all work well If you keep them sharp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for a new set of kitchen knives, want a set of nice knives, I don’t want a cheap set. I would like a quality set of knives that will last and are sharp! Any ideas?
I have bought many knives over the years but about a year and a half ago I saw an ad online for four ceramic knives and on a whim I purchased them. I have never owned sharper knives in my life. I use these knives exclusively now. All my steel knives of many different brands and types all sit in the bottom draw unused unless I need to open a box or something other than kitchen use.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm not a chef or foodie and can't justify nice kitchen knives but we've had some Chicago Cutlery knives that were a wedding present over 35 years ago and that are still going strong. We finally retired a really cheap set of junk knives and replaced with a set of Chicago Cutlery in a block that is also holding up really well. One piece blade and tang with some kind of phenolic material for handles but they hold an edge well enough for us kitchen hacks and the cost was under $200. I guess when it comes to kitchen knives I'm more of a Hi-Point guy.

If you were a 'Hi-Point' guy the recommendation would have been for a $29.95 set from Costco or Sam's Club!

Bruce

·
Mark2Cars
30 Posts
After using most of the above brands we have settled on a complete Cutco about 6 years ago. The best of the best and they are made in the USA. Excellent customer service and free lifetime sharpening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Messermeister knives are really great. Equal to Wustoff and a little less money. It's an American company that manufacturers it's knives in Germany.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look into Cutco knives we have one of their chef knives that we have had for the last 25 years or so. Very sharp and all you have to do is send it into them and they will sharpen it up for free.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The wife talked me into a six blade set of CutCo knifes 48 years ago when I was in the US Army at Ft. Bliss. I was an E-4 at the time and was quite concerned at what she was asking. However, we’re still married and we still have the same set of knives. What I especially like, personally, is their handles. We’ve bought nothing but CutCo since. We’ve added to them over the years and plan on giving them to our favorite niece when we no longer have a need to cook (i.e. we B dead).
Our last CutCo purchase (steak knives) was about 9 years ago. Their quality was still top-notch and maybe a touch better from our original set.
Tough decisions to be made. Good luck.
Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have bought many knives over the years but about a year and a half ago I saw an ad online for four ceramic knives and on a whim I purchased them. I have never owned sharper knives in my life. I use these knives exclusively now. All my steel knives of many different brands and types all sit in the bottom draw unused unless I need to open a box or something other than kitchen use.
What is the brand name of your ceramic knives?

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
Redrunner, just a word to the wise. Cutco may be “OK” for the casual user who doesn’t know better or cook much, but they are just stamped, soft 440A steel. Vastly over-priced in my opinion, and marketed in some very weird ways. You’re better off investing in some truly good knives and learning how to sharpen them yourself with a good set of stones.

Also, ceramic knifes are very interesting and I own a couple, but they can be brittle so they’re good for some tasks like smaller paring knives, but not so much for other roles like carving meat. Generally I would rather have good steel that I can sharpen at the edge profiles I prefer, or do things like put on a double-bevel edge.

·
Registered
666 Posts
No one mentioned the absolutely best, super-duper knives on the planet!

GINSU!!!

Heck, you can cut a tin can with it...and then cut paper-thin slices of tomato!

:ROFLMAO:

Aqualung

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
What is the brand name of your ceramic knives?
Redrunner, I don't know what brand Fofinger has, but I've read and heard that Kyocera is one of the better ceramic brands.

This blog from a knife vendor sums it up pretty nicely. Ceramic can have it's purpose for straight line cuts. If you bend or twist or pry, the blade may break. If you drop it on your tile floor, the blade will probably break. If you run the blade up against a fork while you are slicing, it may chip.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Redrunner, I don't know what brand Fofinger has, but I've read and heard that Kyocera is one of the better ceramic brands.

This blog from a knife vendor sums it up pretty nicely. Ceramic can have it's purpose for straight line cuts. If you bend or twist or pry, the blade may break. If you drop it on your tile floor, the blade will probably break. If you run the blade up against a fork while you are slicing, it may chip.

I like the idea of ceramic blade. Break too easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe I/we have some of all the brands mentioned above either left over from my bachelor days or our nearly 30 year marriage. I have only one Cutco and it is a fish filet combined with fishing tools. I bought this when a young lady came around selling Cutco knives. Right no I believe I would buy and entire set of knives from her if she came back. (She could have sold me ice in the North Pole) This one knife survives everything I use it for. It resides in the tacklebox and is used in the kitchen.

One of my buddies and his wife have nothing but Cutco.

Nice knives.

Now my wife swears by some knife from one of cooking shows. Can't remember the brand but she probably picked it up at Bed Bath and Beyond. It does the trick chopping and cutting for her.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looking for a new set of kitchen knives, want a set of nice knives, I don’t want a cheap set. I would like a quality set of knives that will last and are sharp! Any ideas?
I can't say that I am a big in the kitchen cutting every meal kind of person but uselarge butcher knives maybe twice a week. I have Cutco. They are crazy sharp new and Cutco will sharpen them for you free just cost shipping. I have the kitchen set and they come with a sharpener that works well but if you want the original sharpness, send them back to sharpen. I sent back the paring knife because it is used daily. Have owned them for 10 yrs.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts