Ruger Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,667 Posts
Redrunner, just a word to the wise. Cutco may be “OK” for the casual user who doesn’t know better or cook much, but they are just stamped, soft 440A steel. Vastly over-priced in my opinion, and marketed in some very weird ways. You’re better off investing in some truly good knives and learning how to sharpen them yourself with a good set of stones.
I agree, my Cutco knives are fine but they get dull fast. I have yet to see a US-made knife perform up to the level of the German ones. I mostly got Cutcos because a young man who worked for me was selling them, as he put himself through college on scholarship.

That said, my Cutco kitchen shears are the finest I have ever used.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I’m not familiar with Cutco knives but I’ll have to do some research on them.
Just an interesting tidbit of history if you don't know... Cutco has played part with a few great knife companies. They were founded in 1949 by Case Knives and Alcoa. That partnership lasted up until 1972, when Alcoa purchased Case's shares. Then in 1982, Alcas purchased Cutco. They purchased Ka-Bar Knives in 1996 and changed their name from Alcas to Cutco Corporation in 2009. The Cutco knives today are made at the same Oleans, NY factory as Ka-Bar.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Just an interesting tidbit of history if you don't know... Cutco has played part with a few great knife companies. They were founded in 1949 by Case Knives and Alcoa. That partnership lasted up until 1972, when Alcoa purchased Case's shares. Then in 1982 a company by the name of Alcas purchased Cutco. That same company also purchased Ka-Bar Knives in 1996. Alcas changed their name to Cutco Corp. in 2009, and the knives today are made at the same Oleans, NY factory as Ka-Bar.
Just to clarify...the Cutco name has been around since 1949...that's the story my son-in-law told when he sold the knives. Cutco History

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Whoops I just realized I made a mistake in the history I posted earlier. Alcas was actually the Alcoa company. They combined the names of the joint venture by Alcoa and Case (AL-coa + CAS-e = Alcas). Just edited my earlier post.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I once bought a new Cutco knife at a second hand store for $7. After using that knife I bought a new set and use them daily. I've never had to sharpen mine yet. Be careful buying German knives as they commonly faked and are of poor quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This coming from an avowed , life long , knife interested person who cooks every day and is tight with a $ ... Check out the kitchen knives by Forschner . These are the kitchen knives made by Victorinox ( Swiss Army Knife fame) the Swiss make good blades .
They make 3 basic block sets ranging in price from $190.00 to $340.00 depending on how large a set you want .
I own many , have used just about all (even Randall Made kitchen knife) and the Forschner are the ones I usually grab . Good value , not just paying for a name.
I sharpen mine with a steel ...a few quick strokes and the edge is razor sharp .
My father and brother were / are butchers and used a steel to sharpen . My brother turned me onto this brand ...it's the brand they use in his meat cutting / butcher shop .
There is a commerical line and they are great value for single knives . Commerical meat cutting knives must perform or they will not be used very long...my brother swears by Forschner and he cuts meat for a living .
Gary
This coming from an avowed , life long , knife interested person who cooks every day and is tight with a $ ... Check out the kitchen knives by Forschner . These are the kitchen knives made by Victorinox ( Swiss Army Knife fame) the Swiss make good blades .
They make 3 basic block sets ranging in price from $190.00 to $340.00 depending on how large a set you want .
I own many , have used just about all (even Randall Made kitchen knife) and the Forschner are the ones I usually grab . Good value , not just paying for a name.
I sharpen mine with a steel ...a few quick strokes and the edge is razor sharp .
My father and brother were / are butchers and used a steel to sharpen . My brother turned me onto this brand ...it's the brand they use in his meat cutting / butcher shop .
There is a commerical line and they are great value for single knives . Commerical meat cutting knives must perform or they will not be used very long...my brother swears by Forschner and he cuts meat for a living .
Gary
I was about to recommend Forschner knives but you saved me the typing. I have a set of Forschner knives that have been in use for over 25 years. Easy to sharpen and stay sharp .. great knives.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recommend a Yoshihiro Mizuyaki Honyaki for your collection. I have several others from Yoshihiro Cutlery to make up my kitchen collection. Really can’t go wrong with any of their blades.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will not be disappointed by the Wustoff, make sure you try out the poultry shears, sharp, strong as heck and smooth as silk, a better pair you will not find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Red Runner:

Sorry for entering this thread so late but I hope that I caught you before you ordered your set of Wustoff blades. Wustoff kitchen knifes are outstanding and you will be very pleased that you purchased their superb German products. However, if you are looking for what I consider the very finest kitchen knifes then I recommend that you look at the Japanese manufacturer Shun.

Shun makes several models of truly world-class kitchen knifes but my favorite is the Shun Premier Hammered Blade Professional Model. They are not inexpensive but you will never be disappointed that you acquired one or a full set. A set of six plus a honing steel and including a bamboo storage block lists for $1,400 but you can purchase the set at a discount price of $900 at the Knife Center and other major online knife dealers.

Wishing you good success on this pursuit.

J.D. Press

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for a new set of kitchen knives, want a set of nice knives, I don’t want a cheap set. I would like a quality set of knives that will last and are sharp! Any ideas?
I’m a professional blade sharpener. I use only stones. No wheels, belts, grinders, etc.
My recommendation to every kitchen cook/chef is Forschner-Victorinox with synthetic handles (they ain’t scales).

There are many reasons these are the most used knives on commercial fishing boats. Great, reasonable steel. Wood handles absorb fluids and bacteria.

You can spend a whole lot more for pretty.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
Orders already been placed, I did go with a set of wustoffs!
You chose well. I ate at Jamie Oliver's restaurant "15" in London before he was a household name and was sponsored by different companies. Wüsthof knives were the name of the game there. I've noticed Gordon Ramsey also uses Wüsthof and Henkels. And just last night I was reading Aaron Franklin's "Franklin BBQ" book to refresh my meat smoking skills for Memorial Day, and I see that he attests to his "10-inch German chef's knife" for cutting and trimming racks of ribs all day long.

Here at our house we have experimented with a few high-dollar Japanese knives and while they look pretty from the factory and come with nice sharp edge geometry, their typically VG-10 steel tends to be brittle and overly difficult to sharpen. A heartier, heavier German blade of X50CrMoV15 is, in my and especially my wife's considerable experience, the best all-around solution for someone who spends most of the day in the kitchen. A very durable and usable blade at a simple 15 degree-per-side edge, yet easy to polish to razor sharpness.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I know Red Drummond, aka the Pioneer Woman, on the food network uses Wustoff as well as Ina Garten, aka barefoot Contessa.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts