Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I worked for an entrepreneur who's advice to me was .."Work smart not hard" This stuck with me through the years and has been my sage advice to the young.
The one I made up has not done as well but I have used it a few times on grumpy people ... "Smile it'll take the wrinkles out of your teeth." This is usually followed by a few words of how it wouldn't hurt to be pleasant to people. Good things have a tendency to come back to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yep those quotes have been around LONG before you were born, LOL

One of my drill instructors used to tell us
- You are today because of who you were yesterday
and you will be who you are tomorrow because of who you are today -
Well, there ya go.
It's like coming up with a new blues progression that's really a hundred years old!

Oh, and one of my favorites:

"Sometimes it's better to get forgiveness than permission."

·
"The Real Deal"
6,513 Posts
Ok i have a few...

Always do more than is required of you....borrowed from George S Patton.

A man has got to know his limitations.

In the fire service i drill this into the new "boots". Its not what you know that will kill you, but what you don't that will.

I have no problem with rules as long as those rules apply the same to everyone.

When it cones to voting i dont vote for the one i like the most, but the one i hate the least.

A mans character is not based off what he does when everyone is looking. Its based on what he does when nobody is looking.

Just a few i live by and some i created. others i borrowed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. (I say that one a lot)

Always expect the worst, and then you are most often pleasantly surprised.

Do not tell me what you believe! I can see what you believe by watching the way you live. (Actually that one is several places in the Bible, worded just slightly differently.)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I spent a month in the 90s trying to sell used cars. This is what they taught us on day one -

"The most important thing in this business is sincerity. Once you learn to fake it, you've got it made."

there is always "there is a lot of apathy around here, but no one seems to care"

"insomnia is not worth losing sleep over"

·
Registered
249 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
This is eerily close to my forum motto, which was given to me in my early 20's when I worked in a motorcycle dealership's repair department.......

"If it's not broken, it can still be fixed"

And now after working for many years for the same engineering firm I have adopted my second motto.....

"I used to be disgusted, now I am just amused"

·
"The Real Deal"
6,513 Posts
This is eerily close to my forum motto, which was given to me in my early 20's when I worked in a motorcycle dealership's repair department.......

"If it's not broken, it can still be fixed"

And now after working for many years for the same engineering firm I have adopted my second motto.....

"I used to be disgusted, now I am just amused"
I have one kinda related to that one...

" I will either fix it, or fix it so it can't be fixed."

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Instructions are for amateurs........

·
Registered
467 Posts
"Beat to fit, paint to match". Not really a motto but I use this idea sometimes, especially working on cars.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
706 Posts
In P-Touch tape over my Webcam on my work computer, I have "Once more, unto the breach...", the beginning of King Henry's speech in Shakespeare's Henry V.

I've got a bit of experience in a lot of things, so a lot of people around me look to me as a bit of a leader (God help them...). So, I always tell them, "Watch closely what I do and listen carefully to what I say...because I may just teach you the wrong way to do it."

Aqualung

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
"Beat to fit, paint to match". Not really a motto but I use this idea sometimes, especially working on cars.
That kind of goes hand in hand with.....If it don’t fit, force it.....if it breaks it probably wasn’t the right part.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts