Ruger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Piss poor planning on your part is not an emergency on my part.

If you needed it yesterday why are you waiting until darned near tomorrow to call.

And one of my business partners favorites. I told her this on her first day working with me and now she uses it on her boys and nephews when they pickup work with us. "If you're going take a man's job and a man's pay, your ass better be just as hairy ass mine". I think she just liked the looks on their faces.

Words to live by in my business. Dirt movers will drive you crazy with last minute requests.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Two things I used to hear from my dad:

“The seven P’s: Proper Prior Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance”

and

“There’s no such a thing as an accident - just premeditated carelessness.”

Not an easy man to please.

·
Registered
948 Posts
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Reactions: Katahdin-1022

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is probably in appropriate, but my Grandad always said, Never turn down a free drink or piece of a$$. You'll never make it up, you can drink and screw the rest of your life, but you could have had what you turned down also. In other words, never miss an opportunity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you aren't with me, you're against me.

Mine is simple and easy to understand. I didn’t come up with it, (I ain’t that smart). I got it from the ole boy who broke me in on reloading......the same guy who would send my down to the liquor store to get him beer to only tell me the “next lesson” in reloading would continue tomorrow. Yep, I got played numerous times, but the old fart knew his $hit

So it comes down to.....”I ain’t here for a long time.....I’m here for a good time“. It’s served me well for 30 plus years now. Zero stress.

Whatca you got?

·
Registered
452 Posts
One of my dad's favorite, and it sometimes worked: "If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer."

In the mid-70's, I read a book about which I remember little else but this statement, which became one of my mottos: "Death is my ally." The author translated: it's not in a morbid sense, aka "death wish". It means knowing that death is inevitable, live everyday like it's your last. Now, every morning when I get up and look in the bathroom mirror, I say, "Well, good; I get at least one more day."

Related to that, before 50, given the experiences I had in younger years -- nearly died as a child from a poorly understood disease; did some stupid things as a teen; worked in some toxic places before I understood toxicity -- I said if I can get to 50, everyday after is icing on the cake. Now that I'm about to turn 70, and just bought an ATV to get into some of the wildest places in the US (eastern Maine), I'm thinking this icing is really good.

Reactions: OneIsNone

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
I have a habit of saying this on the way to structure fires, when we can see the flames several miles away.

" This is fixing to get interesting."

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Got one along that line I've used for years.

" I can fix anything, given enough time or money."
Thats when sometimes terminate with extreme prejudice happens. That happened to a bookshelf made in china once.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I worked for an entrepreneur who's advice to me was .."Work smart not hard" This stuck with me through the years and has been my sage advice to the young.
The one I made up has not done as well but I have used it a few times on grumpy people ... "Smile it'll take the wrinkles out of your teeth." This is usually followed by a few words of how it wouldn't hurt to be pleasant to people. Good things have a tendency to come back to you.
yup- heard that also from an old long haul trucker that trained me up for team driving, it mostly referred to loading and unloading the trailer since I was mostly loading and unloading the trailer!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was assigned to the 595th Engineer (Light Equipment) Co. in Nam. The unit's motto was, "Illegimati Non Carborundum Est". Which translates to: "Don't let the bastards wear you down." I've always thought that was as good a motto to live by as any.

81 - 100 of 158 Posts