Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I was visiting a good friend in Utah - we went out to a local range, and he let me shoot his Springfield M1A Douglas Tactical Barrel (.308)

What A Machine! I've only been shooting a year; I have a 10/22, Beretta 92FS 9mm, American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Mini-14 .223/5.56; I was feeling unworthy, but he went over the operation of this beautiful firearm before we went to the range - he had me rack it, rock the magazine in it, sight with it several times.

My first round: I was all over the place, but then something clicked - I had to shut my left eye (I'm right handed, but left eye dominant) - I was able to see the front sight in the circle, I understood where to sight, and I hit the middle of the target (granted, it was at 25 yards, but it was a start). My friend was very pleased and proud of me - several of the range masters came by the bay where we were to admire it (one joked and asked if my friend would leave it at the range 😀). One range master said it was good to see a woman with such a weapon, and that more women should shoot such (I was the only female on the range at the time)

My firearms have the composite stock - to handle a firearm with actual wood, with such craftsmanship was truly a privilege (and quite addicting). I thought of the scene in 'Independence Day' when Will Smith flies an alien craft for the first time and says, 'I have got to get me one of these!!!'

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Welcome to the addiction.

Reactions: yattwood

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do yourself a favor and switch to shooting left handed since you are left eye dominate.

Reactions: yattwood and cmb

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,867 Posts
That sounds like a great range day! It's wonderful to have friends with nice guns. I always get that same feeling after shooting a fine pistol, rifle, or shotgun. It is totally normal to want one when a good gun performs well for you. It's how our collections grow!

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,744 Posts
Glad to hear you had that experience. There is something about shooting those Springfield's and other firearms that brings a smile to your face. There too is a passion for hardwood many can relate. Sounds like you learned something that day. I hope you have many more times like that. Rick

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good job . I always liked the idea of trying out New weaponry . There's a range right below the house that has a BMG 50 CAL and a 45 Thompson both fully automated I definitely want to try out before I get to Old .. LMAO . If I ever get the money raised up to shoot .

·
Registered
257 Posts
Harder than it sounds if you are right handed.
Not really because he said he's only been shooting a year which is not long. My son is right handed but left eye dominant. I made him shoot on his dominant eye side.

I shoot rifle and handgun on my off side at the range. The handgun is practical because in self defense or emergency situations you may not have the use of your dominant hand. Rifle and shot gun is just to make sure I can do it if I had to. Also in emergencies you may have to shoot from cover on your weak side.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Not really because he said he's only been shooting a year which is not long. My son is right handed but left eye dominant. I made him shoot on his dominant eye side.

I shoot rifle and handgun on my off side at the range. The handgun is practical because in self defense or emergency situations you may not have the use of your dominant hand. Rifle and shot gun is just to make sure I can do it if I had to. Also in emergencies you may have to shoot from cover on your weak side.
I agree it is a good idea to shoot with your off hand. As a right handed left eye dominant shooter, I have encountered the following.
1. As I have gotten older, I find a significant waver in my left hand when trying to steady a handgun. I still practice with that hand because I agree you never know what situation you might face. My dad long ago also convinced me to practice shooting using the middle finger in case your index finger is injured.
2. When I shoot rifle or shotgun, I tend to want to use my right eye ANYWAY. Weird, but true. I'm not saying these can't be overcome, but I find it easier to shoot right handed and compensate as follows.
When using a rifle, close or at least mostly close the left eye.
When shooting a pistol, shift your head (not your hand) so the vision from your left eye lines up with the sights of the gun; not really practical with a long gun. As primarily a pistol shooter, this is an easier adjustment to make than changing my gun, grip and stance. I have not tried as much left handed shooting with a rifle or shotgun as mine are both right handed versions, and the rifles I have borrowed or rented were as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm glad you had a good experience with the M1A - they are well made, dependable rifles.
The list of "your own" firearms is impressive as well. It looks like your Mentor has done a fine job on your exposure and instruction!
Welcome to the group!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad you had a good experience with the M1A - they are well made, dependable rifles.
The list of "your own" firearms is impressive as well. It looks like your Mentor has done a fine job on your exposure and instruction!
Welcome to the group!

WYT-P
Skyhunter
True - this was the same friend that got me into shooting, and I've been grateful for all his help and encouragement!

·
Premium Member
14,053 Posts
I have the M14 standard. Picking this thing up the first time and shooting sent a chill down my spine and would take this rifle to battle anytime. This lead to the obsession with the M1 Garand...........two service grade Garands later I am hooked. Glad to hear you had an AHA moment with the M14.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get your Predator 6.5 back from Ruger fixed to your satisfaction?

Ah, Ruger said they have to replace it with a new one - so mine must have been really hosed. I gave them an FFL to ship to; haven't heard anything just yet. I know all the firearms manufacturers are really backed up between orders and coronavirus - could take a while

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ah, Ruger said they have to replace it with a new one - so mine must have been really hosed. I gave them an FFL to ship to; haven't heard anything just yet. I know all the firearms manufacturers are really backed up between orders and coronavirus - could take a while
That really is pathetic. Spend good money on a gun and have to wait forever to get to use it. Hopefully the next one will work like it should and it won't have to go back to Ruger two or three times. Good luck with your shooting.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am right handed, but left eye dominant. That is why I use the isosceles stance instead of Weaver - much easier to hold the pistol in my right hand and line it up with the left eye without tilting my head.

Rifle I sight using my right eye. Works fine with optics and aperture sights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts