Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that I did not shoot this group with a Ruger. It happened to be a Rem 700 in 6mm Rem. But I was so elated at the group I fired with Nosler's 55gr Ballistic Tip I just had to show it. I was using Hornady 75gr V-max bullets for gophers and since I had a Nosler test pack of ten 55grainers I gave them try. 40.0gr of H4895 gave me this group going 3428fps. Four shots touching at 1/4" with number five way out another 1/4". The amazing thing is that this rifle is about 25 years old and has a light sporter weight 22" barrel. It only shoots one deer bullet accurately and that's Sierra's 100gr ProHunter.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Weel I'd say you just found your ONE bullet for ground hogs. Nice shootin'.... [8D]

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Very impressive.Years ago I had a 700 in 6mm. also,it liked the Nosler BT 70grn. if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have two 6mm Rem rifles. One is a Remington 40X(10" twist) that really likes the Sierra 75 gr FBHP and IMR3031 powder. The gun is 1973 vintage, but as would be expected with that gun, it will do what you did all day providing I do my part. The other is a Ruger #1-B(9" twist) and it likes the 95 gr Barnes 'TSX' and IMR4350. I can keep them under an inch with that one, but it won't shoot like your's did.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments. I have tried several "deer" bullets over the years, Grand Slams, TSXs, and Partitions and although I could get some decent groups it didn't happen all the time. Not until I tried the Sierra 100gr Pro-Hunter. That one shoots well all the time. So yes I was quite happy with the the Ballistic Tip "dog" bullet. I will burn up my supply of V-Maxes and start the Noslers next summer. Watch out dogs!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.