Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What a waste!!!

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Steelheart 
When ccw permits 1st got started in Texas, a contributing factor in not actually carrying a gun was the buying panic created by the AWB and the brady check. I remember that people were literally in lines at gun shops buying anything on the shelves that was a 9mm with a hi-cap mag or buying anything before the brady check law kicked in. Wasn't it about that time that some gun makers started to put just one hi-cap mag in the box with the gun? Browning comes to mind.
Anyway, folks went nuts buying large service pistols that were not exactly the easiest things to conceal.
When ccw became popular, these same folks with the large pistols decided that instead of getting a smaller weapon, they would just have a car gun. A ccw mainly for car trips to cover the insane non-described traveling clause that was in the Texas Penal code back then.
Others got the ccw just for the priniciple of not having to go thru the brady check and give their information to the feds everytime they buy a gun to avoid any "data base". (back then, you did not have to give your social security number but guess what--if you did not, you probably got delayed).
Few, and i mean very few it seems, bought a gun and got a ccw for the sole purpose of actually carrying on their person.
The fact that then, if a person qualified with a semi-auto, they were covered to cary an auto or revolver for ccw. If they qualified with a wheel gun, then they could not pack an auto, just a revolver. This created more buying of the large autos because they were easier to qualify with. And of course, all those folks who bought hi-caps during the panic days saw no need to buy another gun.
Guessing, i would say that back then, probably 2% of the permit holders actually carried on a daily basis. Seems that this is the time also when the "fanny pack" got popular to hide those big autos---very few sought quality leather or were willing to drastically change their wardrobe to carry.
Today, the % is probably is a lot higher as new generations come in to the ccw market and are not burdened with excess baggage from desisions made back then by some of us older folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.