Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What a waste!!!

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Steelheart 
#1 ·
Story in Dallas area today about a young man about 21 and his girlfriend who came in to buy a car from a man they'd been talking to on the internet...brought a trailer and met the guy....got robbed of his cash and shot to death...girlfriend not hurt...saddest part....he had a CCW and his gun was left in his vehicle....he never had a chance....remember, guys, we get the permit because we realize there is a need...which is not served by leaving it in the car...please put out the trouble to find a carry method that works and use it every day...my sig. line says it all...be safe out there....

#2 ·
When I got my permit, I got it with the intentions of carrying all the time. I tried several methods of carry before I found one that was best. Like your signatures says, you never know when you are going to have trouble. I wear my gun all the time, and avoid the places I can't carry as much as possible. I know there are places where you can't carry on the job, but I would leave the gun in the vehicle and get it just as soon as I get off work. Always try to look ahead at situations, and stay as safe as possible.

#3 ·
sheepdog, It's sad to hear stories like that one. I've heard more than a couple of people I know say "well I've got my permit but don't ever carry a gun". It's their choice but to me it's just plain dumb. Far too many people think bad things can't happen to them.
I think the one thing that really gets to me though is those that ask "why do you carry that old gun"? I get a bit testy when asked that question and let them know quickly I don't give a big rat's --- whether they like guns or not, I'm gonna carry mine whenever and wherever possible.
Baker

#4 ·
I'm not going to ever tell my family or friends "It was too much trouble...it's too hot" I carry two-one for me and one for backup or my co-worker who doesn't have a permit...yes it's uncomfortable at first but you get used to it and then it's nothing but comfortable...

#7 ·
When ccw permits 1st got started in Texas, a contributing factor in not actually carrying a gun was the buying panic created by the AWB and the brady check. I remember that people were literally in lines at gun shops buying anything on the shelves that was a 9mm with a hi-cap mag or buying anything before the brady check law kicked in. Wasn't it about that time that some gun makers started to put just one hi-cap mag in the box with the gun? Browning comes to mind.
Anyway, folks went nuts buying large service pistols that were not exactly the easiest things to conceal.
When ccw became popular, these same folks with the large pistols decided that instead of getting a smaller weapon, they would just have a car gun. A ccw mainly for car trips to cover the insane non-described traveling clause that was in the Texas Penal code back then.
Others got the ccw just for the priniciple of not having to go thru the brady check and give their information to the feds everytime they buy a gun to avoid any "data base". (back then, you did not have to give your social security number but guess what--if you did not, you probably got delayed).
Few, and i mean very few it seems, bought a gun and got a ccw for the sole purpose of actually carrying on their person.
The fact that then, if a person qualified with a semi-auto, they were covered to cary an auto or revolver for ccw. If they qualified with a wheel gun, then they could not pack an auto, just a revolver. This created more buying of the large autos because they were easier to qualify with. And of course, all those folks who bought hi-caps during the panic days saw no need to buy another gun.
Guessing, i would say that back then, probably 2% of the permit holders actually carried on a daily basis. Seems that this is the time also when the "fanny pack" got popular to hide those big autos---very few sought quality leather or were willing to drastically change their wardrobe to carry.
Today, the % is probably is a lot higher as new generations come in to the ccw market and are not burdened with excess baggage from desisions made back then by some of us older folks.

#8 ·
Some might think I am kidding when I say "I put my weapon on when I jump into my jeans of a
morning, but that's just how my day starts. I have even got my wife sold on the idea that
when she goes out the front door{or back door) Her Airweight goes with her. I am pround of
that woman, she is a champ.

#9 ·
well, as I posted here some time back I got a real bad scare, a wake up call I am lucky I am here to talk about it. I am one of the lucky ones, I have a gun with me at all times time unless I am at work, but as soon as I am in my truck I have a gun with me. Its small charter arms in 38sp. and I have 3 speed loaders for it just got them today.
sheepdog is right, we get the license premits what ever and then we don't carry, not smart. I learned that, almost learned that the hard way. Had one that posted I should have given them the change, now that was a dum idea, I didn't have any change at the time. and they weren't after change either.
Each of us have a gut feeling when things are right or wrong, I would rather be at the ready and and nothing happen. Better to be safe than sorry. sheepdog is right trouble never makes an appointment.

#10 ·
As I have stated previously in other posts here, I carry damned near 24/7. That insignificant period where I do not have a gun on my person, the piece is within five feet of me. I do not care to NOT have my means of preservation far from me at any time. To do other wise is foolish.

Having been in security/law enforcement/military fields I know for a fact that crap can go wrong damned quickly in ANY situation. Its best to keep that in mind and deal with it accordingly.

#11 ·
It can be no plainer said than RVN11B put it...we have to evaluate our reasons for carrying and when it gets more important than just OUR a.., then we begin to learn of commitment...you have lived a life committed to others' safety...lots of folks have never given a moment's notice to any others...and there's the difference...thanks again for your service...and I think you understand that my fears are not that I won't have it handy for me...but that I won't be able to help another person...the pinhole's still there where the badge was...and I guess I'll die that way...excercising the right to carry is not a casual thing, not a novelty, but a way of life...

#12 ·
Definitely agree with that.

This represents the basic meaning of the creed "Balls to the Wall"

This from the second unit I served with in RVN, B 2/5th Cav, 1st Cavalry Division.:D

#13 ·
That is a sad tale. Could have gone a lot better.

There are lots of impediments to carrying. I've got one: I'm active duty military, and I can't bring a gun on base. So, I have to either park off base with my gun locked in the car (not a good idea AND darned inconvenient) or leave my gun at home with the wife and kids.

#16 ·
FrankRochester, I've carried a M60 2".38 for years as backup-now a M649 humpback...don't like the airweight/Ti types as I like to practice a lot...I can actually shoot my snub as well as a 4" at combat ranges, but the lightweights beat you up in practice..last one I bought was a M12...never again...the snubs are now made in .357, too, but mine is older...the weight doesn't bother me and it's a comfy little handful with Pachmayr Compac grips...hides in a front jeans pocket or IWB...love that little gun...

#17 ·
I've thought about the Kel-tec but I seem to shoot small revolvers a lot better than little autos. About 4 or 5 yrs ago I picked up this little steel frame Taurus 85. At about 21 oz it's a tad heavier than the kel-Tec or the Taurus or S&W lightweights but in an inexpensive(read cheap) IWB holster,it's a bit easier to carry than a full size weapon when working or playing around the house or yard. Makes a pretty good and very concealable church or funeral gun too.:)
Baker

#18 ·
...there ya go!!! I use those holsters during the wringin' wet days of summer-throw 'em in the wash...otherwise after a few days' work, they'd smell me coming....also have them in leather...move the clip up about an inch and they'll disappear behind a belt buckle...still plenty fast to get to...
'

#19 ·
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

I'll say it'd be a good backup...but I'd like to go to war with an M60-and step down from there as the situation dictates.....
They don't have M60's anymore, it was replaced with the SAW... M60's are prone to jam, but if you learn their quirks its quite reliable. I carried a M60 for eight years starting with basic training. Four years after basic training when I was promoted to SGT my platoon leader tried to take it away. I told him I would be more than happy to give up my 60 if he could find someone that could out shoot me with it! On the standard qualification course I could hit every target under 300m with 1 round. Targets over 300m would take 1 or 2 rounds so I would have ~20-30 rounds out of 200 left over and would score Expert (highest ranking) every time. :D

I would love to have a M60, but I can't afford the $30,000 that people ask for them! [V]

#20 ·
I used one when you were but a twinkle in your Daddy's eye...the ones we used were fine, and I'm with you-I'd love to have one in the closet...even in semi-auto...killin' machine...what's a SAW??? The Marines have historically gotten the stuff noone else wanted...and made it work...done more with less than most thought possible...I think the M60 should be brought back along with the M14 for the current conflict...the M60 takes bigger bites than the new ones...anyone as good as you were with one should have one mounted on your SUV...for the coming pleasantries....

#21 ·
well if I was going to have a choice in the matter I opt for the B A R. Of course that is just me, I'll check out those holsters like the idea of washing them.
sheepdog, are ya sure its the holster they were smelling? just joking.

#22 ·
Ain't no tellin', Snuffy...ain't no tellin'.....BAR was 30-06, right? Box mag or belt? A bit before my time, but I got a buddy who used one in the Nam....sometimes the old ones are better than the new ones like they found out lately...betcha we see all the troops back with .45 unless we get a real cutback in funding...

#25 ·
I finally broke down and bought a "pocket gun" because I found myself wanting to leave the larger Rugers behind when it became inconvenient.

Bought a Walther PPK/S and it fits in my pocket just slicker 'n snot on glass!

#26 ·
Bunzo....getcha some Gold Dot and lead with a Glaser Blue or two...go to Silver in coat weather, and practice, man, practice!!!! PPK takes more practice than a .45---used to carry one waaaaaaayback and never got what I'd call good with it...easy hidin' little critter, though...for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.