Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 22 carbine seems to prefer wichester 555 hps of the six brands I 've tried they group the best. I only use hp ammo because of performance on game. My primary target is fox squirrels but I also shoot groundhogs and ***** regularly.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
So is there a question there? :confused: Myself...never cared for Winchester as it's dirty. For bulk, I like Federal (blue box). HP or solid isn't a biggie for me as 99% is paper. Even when it's a problem animal, place the shot properly and the solids are just as effective. Admittedly, I do keep a box of Stingers on hand if needed.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I like the mini-mags as well!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry my post wasn't much of a question just wondered if there was something better out there. I've tried cci minimags and veleocitors and stingers the groups were so bad I might as well have been throwing rocks. The federal bulk (walmart) failed to feed alot and didn't group well either. I haven't been able to tell the difference in cleanliness from one kind to the next I clean my rifle after each trip no matter how little its been fired.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I eat the squirrels and sell their hides as for the groundhogs it depends on the size of the animal small ones are good eating older ones are dispatched to stop them digging under my out buildings.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Federal Auto Match or CCI mini Mags. I have always had problems (minor) with Winchester. Their quality control misses things (dented lead and cases). While Winchester will function in 10/22s they won't function well in other guns that have no problem with the first two makers of ammo that I stated. Stay away from hyper velocity ammo. While Federal Auto Match is not a HP other Federal is.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Very unusual to NOT like mini-mags.

You might try the Remington "Golden Bullet" new and improved 225 pak. MANY people don't like this ammo, but it is EXTREMELY accurate in 2 of my 10/22s.

Good luck, and let us know!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like Federal bulk (red box) from Walmart for general shooting. Generally runs pretty well, not too many stovepipes. Not too dirty.

Don't like Winchester Bulk, dirty, jamming, etc

Mini Mags are good if you want accuracy.

Stingers (for standard 10/22s only) are a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Winchester M-22 is a much cleaner bullet. No wax on the outside. Black Copper coated round nose. Cleaner burning propellent. I would say they are my 2nd most reliable/favorite ammo choice and it comes in bulk. CCI mini-mags won't feed in my BX-25's, but Stingers do. I just picked up 900 rds in an ammo case at Gander Mtn!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If accuracy is a requirement for your shooting, don't bother with bulk ammo.

You can get better results by sorting with a rim gauge and digital scale, actually much better results. What you will also find is that about 40% of every box of bulk from anyone is pretty much useless for anything but making noise.

If you want to head shoot squirrels out to 50-75yds, determine which brand and type of ammo shoots best in your rifle, and buy lots of it. Even a well tricked 10/22 will not turn lousy ammo into good ammo. My plain vanilla shooter wears a Green Mountain barrel in a Hogue stock, and with a Nikon 2X-7X scope. The trigger is cleaned up with a lighter spring. Nothing special. It shoots Remington Thunderbolt, un-sorted into 4"-5" at 50yds. Same stuff sorted and weighed does 1.0"/10 shots. Federal HS Match, 0.35"/10. Most of the ammo sold by the brick does 0.75"/10 +/-, Federal, Winchester, CCI, Remington. My 77/22 VBZ has different preferences, but shoots all of the non-bulk into minute-of-tree rat out to 75yds. Neither rifle shoots particularly great with hyper velocity stuff. Yours might be totally different.

Bulk ammo is fine for clay birds in a gravel pit at 35yds. Even works fairly well on groundhogs out to 50yds if your rifle likes that particular brand. But if you want to shoot squirrels for the pan, or prairie dogs at 125-150yds, get the good stuff.

Oh, both rifles shoot the $14/bx Federal Gold metal stuff into a single hole. But that seems pricey to shoot bunnies and such.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My 1022 is a carbine model bone stock with a bushnell 4 x 32 rimfire scope it will shoot the winchester 525 bulk ammo I buy at walmart into a 1/2" group at 50 yards all day everyday. The same rifle can't keep cci mini mags in a 4" group at 25 yards. The federal bulk from walmart wont stay inside 6" at 25 yards. The stingers are all over the place. All groups stated above are 10 shots the winchesters have shot 250 rounds into one group on several occasions. I have'nt been able to try the velocitors or any of the subsonics. I have one question about the subsonics and match stuff do they cycle in semiauto rifles and pistols?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.