Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still going crazy waiting for a chance to take a road trip and pick up my new Bearcat. This is what I get for saving $90 over the LGS and buying from my FFL friend (who let's me order stuff at cost, but lives several hours away.) I have the holster and even some ammo, but no gun. :(

Anyway, as I have accumulated a hodge-podge of ammo to shoot in it - from CB shorts to Velocitors and everything in between - I'm kind of curious if any Bearcat owners have any insight into what it might like to eat.

Yes..... I know every gun is different, but I've also noticed certain makes/models do often "run to type" and share similar preference for ammo. Any consensus on what ammo might shoot to point of aim out of the box?

Registered
As a rule of thumb when testing any new 22, I start with my favorite load, CCI mini mag 40 grainers. Percentage-wise, this has been the top load in my 22s in terms of accuracy and functioning, especially in the semi-autos, but, of course, I've also had some guns that absolutely hated it. That's what makes testing a new gun so interesting - you never know for sure what it will like. The problem, at the moment, is that if you don't already have some CCI mini mags, good luck finding any.

My Bearcat is remarkably tolerant of anything I feed it, though. I've used it with everything from CB Shorts to the hyper velocity stuff and it's does fine with bulk ammo, too. The real limiting factor in accuracy on these tiny little guns is not the ammo, it's the shooter. Small guns are not about printing small groups, but the Bearcat will surprise you with what it can do if you do some experimenting with your hold. No matter what load you shoot, though, I promise you'll have fun.

Registered
I've only ever fed mine Federal Value Pack HP, and CCI Mini-Mag HP. It seems to like either just fine. No real difference in accuracy. The bulk Federal has an extra dud once in a while, compared to CCI. Most any brand of high velocity should hit to the best point of aim.

My two came dead-on for windage, about 1.5 inches low at 25 yards. Most fixed sighted guns come set low, to allow for filing the front sight to suit a preferred round. Easier than adding metal.

I don't file, just change my sight picture. If I have the bull above the notch, and covered by the blade, I'm good at 25 yards.

Registered
My wife has a New Bearcat and it works well with most everything we've fed it.
One brand that I won't buy again is Federal's American Eagle. Got a brick of it a year or so ago and after trying it in several pistols and revolvers, about the only one that hits the primer hard enough to fire the stuff is an old 3 screw single six. My new single six and the bearcat might fire 2 out of every six.
Lately we've been using Blazer and it's been working well in everything.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a rule of thumb when testing any new 22, I start with my favorite load, CCI mini mag 40 grainers. ... The problem, at the moment, is that if you don't already have some CCI mini mags, good luck finding any.
Thanks. I did score some 36 grain minimags in the 375 count "swamp pack" and have a regular 100 round box in my stash, so that's going to be the first thing I try.

Registered
Feral

Congratulations on your new Bearcat. They are really nice guns.
I think your gun it'self will tell you which ammo it likes. Do just as you have done. Assemble as wide a variety of ammo as you can. Test each brand on a good day when your feeling good about shooting from a good solid rest.
Let the gun tell you what it likes. Don't start with preconceived ideas about which brand will work the best. Two I have found a lot of guns like are the Fed buld pack & the Rem bulk pack. I think they are both 550 round packs. You can buy them in 50 round boxes first till you see which your gun likes. It'll be fun discovering which brand of ammo your gun likes the best.
Good shooting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts