Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I came across a WC GP 100 at a gun show a few weeks ago. It looked really nice but $800 was too much for me. This got me to thinking, what are the main differences between the WC and the 1708, asides from sights and the grips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a 3-inch stainless GP-100, I just ordered a Gemini customs front sight for it, red fiber optic and I've already bought the Altamont Grips just like the Wiley Clapp. I have essentially the same gun for a lot less.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The Wiley Clapp Models 1751 and 1753 differ from the Model 1708:

1. A different main frame - the WC models are designed to accept the dovetail for the Novak rear whereas the 1708 is a standard frame that accepts the standard adjustable rear sight. (Same frame as the later Match Champion fixed sight model.)
2. The WC models have a contoured cylinder. 1708 has a straight cylinder.
3. The WC models have "melted edges" for easier holstering. 1708 has standard edges.
4. The WC models have a dovetail Novak front sight, either fiber optic green (1752) or brass bead (1753). 1708 has the standard removable front insert.
5. The WC models have a unique grip - special Altamont full size with unique laminate panels. The 1708 ships with the standard Hogue black rubber grip.
6. The WC models have a unique finish - 1752 has a Hawkeye Matte Stainless and the 1753 has a Hawkeye Matte Blue. The 1708 has a standard satin stainless finish.

The WC models and the 1708 all share the same common hammer, trigger, springs and action internals, although the WC hammers and triggers are finished in a matte stainless finish. The WC models are not tuned or improved over a stock action so you are not guaranteed any better in the premium WC models in that regard over stock.

I think that's pretty much it but if I missed something I'm sure someone else will be along to point it out. I agree $800 is waaaay to much to pay for a 1752 or 1753. They're still cranking 'em out so they're not rare or uncommon just really nice. I agree they are worth a premium but maybe $100 or so over a stock 1715. Interestingly the 1708s have been priced on the street a little lower than the 1715 from what I've seen. The 1708 may be a good buy unless you really, really want the Novak sights. All the other stuff can be modded after the fact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for clearing it up. I have a 4 inch, but after seeing all of the nice 3 inch models on the forum, I think I need one of them too.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Thanks everyone for clearing it up. I have a 4 inch, but after seeing all of the nice 3 inch models on the forum, I think I need one of them too.
You can't have too many GP100s. I know - I tried. I'm kinda partial to the 3" and the 6" (oddly.) I'd grab a 1708 while they're still out there and available. That model was out of production for a couple of decades and who knows when or if they ever decide to make any more after this run is done.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Wave nailed it on the WC. We just got ours, but have a few boxes of ammo through it, already. Just one of those guns, that the more you shoot it, the more you want to shoot it. Really does have feel all its own. Ran some 180 grain bear loads though it in complete comfort, today. Love that gun.

And, oh, yeah, already wondering what my next GP-100 will be. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have my first GP100 that I got about 20 years ago and I have a WCGP100 that I got 2 years ago.
A MCGP100 keeps calling to me but so does another WC. It will probably come down to whichever crosses my path first. Doom on my bank account if they both come across at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts