Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the gun shows either out of most ammo or high cost? I have not looked there since the ammo pile dried up.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C&E Gun Show if confirmed this weekend for Hickory, N.C. I guess it is a mask only party. Whatever shows have are probably bought on day 1 unless it is expensive ammo, I am guessing.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
prices have moved from ridiculous up to ludicrous

.223/5.56 was priced about $1/round for brass case and $15/box for steel case
9mm started around $30/box for steel and went up from there
Tula .308 Win was $20/box

So I bought a knife (damascus steel Kukri) and a fund raiser raffle ticket instead

Reactions: hiketheball

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
The last time we had the shortages, a gun show was the last resort if you really wanted ammo. Prices were ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The last time we had the shortages, a gun show was the last resort if you really wanted ammo. Prices were ridiculous.
I've noticed at the last gun show I went to the ammo prices were jacked up 150-200%...
and the LGS's still had viable prices for ammo, at least for the ammo I typically purchase!
Just today, I purchased a couple of boxes of Hornady 158 grain XTP JHP in .357 magnum...only $15.79 per box of 25!

Reactions: Kenny53

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
We had a gun show this weekend. I did not go, figured 80 mile round trip plus the $12.00 entrance fee would off set any decent ammo price I might find. I normally am not a glass half empty kind of guy but 2020 just been that kind of year. I did find some 22 magnum ammo this afternoon and picked a couple of boxes.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I essentially gave up on gun shows.

1. Price of admission
2. Usually lousy selection
3. Few if any good deals
4. Too many non gun related vendors

·
Registered
336 Posts
Getting weird out there. I stopped in Academy Sports. They had Winchester White Box 45 acp, 200 rounds, $79. What the heck, I can see .45 inch holes better than 9 mm holes anyway. Bought 600 rounds and have been playing with my SR1911.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Academy Sports has had the shelves cleaned except for for dove shells which they had plenty. For weeks they have had signs listing all the ammo that is sold out because people were asking even when you can see the shelves are bare.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some folks that went to the local show reported the ammo was very high. Plus, very crowded. I guess they at least got to SEE some ammo!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been watching on Gunbroker and it seems that prices may have peaked and may have actually gone down a little.

Seeing some really high "minimum" bids not getting any bids at all.
I saw some steel case 9mm sell for $0.30 per round on one auction.

I saw an ad on armslist yesterday (I'm in Raleigh -Durham area) for 1000 rounds of Winchester 115 grain 9mm for $350, not too long ago people were paying twice that on Gunbroker.

Maybe. Let's hope so anyway.

·
Registered
935 Posts
In Southern New Jersey we have to buy ammo from a gun retailer with state issued ID card. My range is down to one box of 50 rounds of 9 mm or 38 special for range use only,500 rounds 22lr limit .

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today at Academy Sports in Hickory, they had only 2 boxes of 45 cal. which was defense loaded Silvertips 185 gr. JHP for .75 a piece, for shotgun defense the closest thing was many boxes of Monarch 12 ga. 3 in. #2 shot made of steel (waterfowl). Cost was .45 a piece. If you can't get 00 buck you have to use what you can find unless the stash at home is looking good.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Counter guy said very little 12 gauge hunting ammo ,customers are buying it for self defense . Had a lot of 12gauge 7.5 and 8 shot.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I've been watching on Gunbroker and it seems that prices may have peaked and may have actually gone down a little.

Seeing some really high "minimum" bids not getting any bids at all.
I saw some steel case 9mm sell for $0.30 per round on one auction.

I saw an ad on armslist yesterday (I'm in Raleigh -Durham area) for 1000 rounds of Winchester 115 grain 9mm for $350, not too long ago people were paying twice that on Gunbroker.

Maybe. Let's hope so anyway.
during the 2013 shortage, I remember buying a 1000 round loose pack bulk box of Remington 115 gr 9mm for close to $300. At the time, the only other 9mm available was Winchester Ranger 147gr JHP for $30-35/box.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol, exactly. Why, because it causes the gun to fire. Enough said. Times are hard!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eastman has anybody told you how good looking you were today with that Ruger Mark pistol?

·
Registered
84 Posts
At the time, the only other 9mm available was Winchester Ranger 147gr JHP for $30-35/box.
At this last weekend's gun show here in northern Utah, that's what the only large-scale ammo seller (Miwall, out of SoCal) had for that ammo.

I cringed, but bought 3 boxes of 50 ($33.95 each) white-box Winchester (they were in the cardboard 500-round boxes, you could buy them unopened or single 50-round boxes) simply because...

I normally shoot 115gr-124gr from my P938 and my Hi-point carbine... but recently I found a box of Aquila 147gr in the local Sportsman's Warehouse - it was the only 9mm on the shelf, and was only $19.95, so tried it in the carbine. Now I know that I need to stock up on the 147gr! Unfortunately, they haven't had any since.

I wasn't willing to pay the $44.95/50 for the white-box Winchester 147gr hollowpoints... if they aren't available cheaper before next show I might break down for a couple of boxes, though. Maybe.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Gun shows? There hasn't been a gun show in this area since the whole shut down started ... not sure when they will pick back up and does anyone really want to stand shoulder to shoulder with strangers just to look at over priced ammo and guns ... then there is the capacity limit ... if they only allow 25% or 50% capacity or some number in between any good deals would be snatched up lickity split ...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts