Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I literally have changed my "Master Gun" plans as often as I've changed clothes it seems each going through fazes each and every time. Shotguns during skeet, pistols during youth (that 21st birthday and all), Rifles during Wyoming antelope hunts, and just about everything during cowboy shooting in SASS. I've also had runs with black powder, then more modern during my employment and academy.

Well, now I've be moved/directed into one last faze and that's short barreled revolvers that fit into the smallest safe I've ever had. The thing is that with various ailments of 36 years of diabetes, I move very slowly with a cane (feet and legs messed up) and have a buggered up left shoulder (a diabetic joint condition due to blood flow, or the lack thereof). The last one has left me unable to shoulder a rifle or shotgun for a few years now and all those have been sold. I've even found that very long barreled revolver's are too much for the same strength reduction fact. I had to get rid of a SRH 9.5" and other 8 3/8" barreled guns.

Recoil is not that much an issue however and one gun I do have is a SRH Alaskan in 44 magnum. I have a few 357's, 38's, and a 22 magnum. The longest barrel I own is 3", but I can shoot any of my stable just fine enough for me and their a hoot to shoot.

So most of my guns if not all, would serve fine for CCW and it wouldn't be a bad thing if my next would also serve in that role. All my guns are revolvers. Now I've owned semi auto's before. Desert Eagle's, Walther PPK's, and several MK I, II, but no III's. I've also owned a couple of 1911's but have never shot a one that I've owned. Ended up selling them to fund other projects before even picking up a box of ammo. I think that I'd like to get a 1911 or similar gun

So, what do you folks think? I do have a thing for all stainless guns. Not a fan of polymer or aluminum and I do like synthetic grips/rubber. I'd also like to not bust a thousand dollars (being on disability and all). Smithy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ever consider the Ruger LCR? Seems like it would fit your requirements. My first carry gun was a 4" .357 service revolver. I put Pachmyr combat grips on it, but it was heavy [38oz]. My point is that you can conceal any weapon, it is just how much you want to tolerate.

Now for my ignorance. California citizens can be licensed to carry concealed weapons?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Sounds like a 1911 would really do the trick for you. There are lots of nice ones to choose from in the $700-800 range.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
California citizens can be licensed to carry concealed weapons?
Yes, California is a "may issue" state, relying upon the local law enforcement to make the final decision to issue or put restrictions on the license. I was in an area that the sheriff cowed down defaulting to the police chief (since I was in the incorporated portion of town). When there I spoke to a captain (the guy in charge of CCW licenses) and was told "There is Never a reason to issue a CCW". He said say your handling a bunch of money.....Hire a brinks truck. Say you live in a bad section of town.............move. Say that someone has threatened you or your family (as was in my case).................move. I think one other question produced the answer............Call 911.

But now in my new locale, the sheriff who use to be the kingpin of issue got his you know what in the ringer for denying just about every permit application. He's now pretty much a "shall issue" sheriff.

So it is my intent to get my CCW while he's still in office and certainly if he wants another run at the job.

I saw this one a Bud's Gun Shop and it really interests me. I just don't know if they're being made anymore. I either don't know where I'm looking or Springfield Armory doesn't list them anymore.

ULTRA COMPACT S/S .45 ACP 1911-A1 (PX9171L) $757.00 SHIPS FREE

This one is right up my ally and it's within my price range. It'd be just my luck to find a pistol that's to my liking, legal in CA (as it is), but just not being made anymore. Smithy.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
Smithy ... a used Springfield 1911 Ultra-compact (3.5" barrel) or 1911 Micro-Compact (3" barrel) sounds like it would fit the bill. My SS Micro-compact is a 2004 model (shown below with Hogue grips) is a great pistol and has been my EDC since early 2008. Used prices on these will run anywhere from $500 - $700. While Springfield is still making the Ultra as all stainless, they now make the Micro grip frame out of aluminum. My point being is that it may be easier to find a used Ultra these days then a used stainless version of the Micro. Good luck with whatever you decide on :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I like my LCR-357. All the metal parts are either stainless or titanium. I'm not wild about "polymer" either, but at least on the LCR it's a sizable "chunk" of plastic, not a thin hollow part like polymer pistol frames.

You won't find a lighter DA trigger, and it's smooth. Seventeen ounces (empty), carry it most any way possible. No slide to rack, would be easier on your shoulder. Large choice of ammo with a .357, too, and there are several LCR grips on the market.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I too use to work with quite a few S&W snubbie's (When they didn't cost a grand each) Their model 649 was my favorite. Currently my wife is continuing the S&W line with her Lady Smith and a back up model 60. I on the other hand went to Stainless Ruger Revolver's. I thought on this (yes it will probably be my last) purchase I'd try the auto. I currently have several choices for carry (anything in my safe would/could work) I just wanted to give the 1911 another chance. The LCR does appeal to me, but I'd rather be able to get a 1911 and be done, than get an LCR and end up with only revolvers when the wife threatens to leave me.

I've been getting buy so far by saying, "But dear, I have to have something to leave our kids since I spent my whole life with firearms." Well each of them have a pair now and I don't think my wife would allow me to bump it up to three a piece. I'm probably only going to be able to sneak in just one more. Then all the slots in my small safe will be filled and moving to the sock drawer won't work. I've tried that before, bad outcome. Smithy.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The problem with autos is racking the slide. I'd go with a revolver, and if you're going to carry it, a Smith 640 or 60 with a 3" barrel should work well for you.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem with autos is racking the slide. I'd go with a revolver, and if you're going to carry it, a Smith 640 or 60 with a 3" barrel should work well for you.
I may have miss-wrote the OP. I've got carry revolvers covered and then some. All I own is carry revolvers; A couple Smith's, one NAA, and Three Ruger's. What I don't have is an auto. That is really what I would like to add to the stable and specifically in 45ACP if possible. I did find a pistol that I really like.

ULTRA COMPACT S/S .45 ACP 1911-A1 (PX9171L) $757.00 SHIPS FREE

Now they don't have any in stock right now, but I've put 20% down to secure today's price and to save my place in line for when they do get some. If they are unable to secure one in the ninety day layaway period and I wait the full ninety days, I get the option of waiting further, or getting a full refund of my money. A win win for me since I'll sneak up on the purchase of the gun and if delivery falls through I can swap gun's, wait further, or get my money back. The gun shown above is just about all and everything that I was looking for in my seventh gun. It may never get carried at all (but it could) and that's the way I like it.

From all my shooting in SASS (cowboy shooting), I got pretty darn good at nailing body sized targets at seven yards so I don't fear that same use with any of the guns I have or the one I'm waiting for. Smithy.

·
Freedom, Thank a VET!!!
1,625 Posts
Smithy you and I are in the same boat! I have had several bouts with diabetes and I am still able to answer the bell after each round but my shoulder now is not good.

I have taught a lot of people how to carry and fire a handgun, as well as a rifle. However, for you sir I will suggest the pistol called a GLOCK, very ugly but YOU can bet your life on it 24/7.

I carry 2 of them when I go out or to town in the car. My model 29 (sub-compact) and model 20 full size 10mm cal. are very hard to beat for knock down power, of 760-lbs of energy.
using a 180 grn hollow point bullet. I also alternate with FMJ bullets, just in case the "PERPS" are wearing a vest.

All you do with a GLOCK is draw and pull that trigger! It goes Bang Bang Bang Bang every time out the gate. I have much better looking pistols COLTS, Smith & Wessons, Kimbers but I bet my life on my 2 GLOCKS and remember this, RECOIL is not as bad when you use a GLOCK PISTOL in my 10mm cal.:)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tracer, thank you for your input to this. When I went through my academy many, many moons ago we learned on Smith model 67's and the current version of Ruger Mini 14 in .223. We didn't have to always have the mini 14 with us, just a certain number of officer's had to have one during each shift so we kind of shared the work load when it came to the rifle. Then 9/11 happened and all heck broke loose in our requirements and our equipment. We first went to a high capacity 9mm glock, and a Bushmaster (Colt copy) of the AR15. This time however, everyone had to have both rifle and handgun. Shortly after the big conversion we upped the 9mm to 40 S&W for our handguns. First magazines we used were not weighted ones so ejecting a spent mag wasn't as easy as one would think. Other requirements dictated carrying gas masks, tear gas, batons, you name it. We were packed up to our eyeballs in equipment. Durring this time I developed a strong dislike for the Glock Pistol vs. say a 357 revolver or a 45 ACP 1911. I guess I'm not too much a plastic pistol kind of guy. Two tone pistols may look cool out of the box, but I didn't favor those either. Yep it was all stainless for me (with NO aluminum phony stainless).

After several searches on line I'm thinking seriously about a Para Ordinance Stainless Warthawg in 45 ACP. I'd be at the max California wise with mag capacity in a solid to hang onto smaller package. In the past I've been able to shoot with ease any Desert Eagle (and that is a big grip) so the Warthawg would pose no problem in that area.

Springfield told me it might be at least 6 months to a year before they'd crank out any additional Warthawg's. And looking at the California Safety Roster, by the time that that happens, their time limit may be passed and I could no longer buy one in the state. Now I'm thinking that the only way I'm going to get a stainless 45 ACP is to find a used one that's still on CA's list.

So I have some mad money coming in and am trying to sell a cannon and a Thunder Mug both in golf ball bore size as well as 120 steel golf balls for ammo. If those sales go through I'm in like Flynn.

A lot of things to coordinate on this deal. Selling cannons/etc., getting some more mad money, and finding an appropriate model used, but not too used and still on CA's list. A lot of work let me tell you. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Smithy, as a fellow CA resident, I share your frustration in terms of what we can't buy. I gave up recently on my wish for a SR1911 and bought a RIA 1911. I don't see very many stainless steel 1911 in my LGS, in fact I don't think I've ever seen one.

One option is to utilize the "single shot exemption". I have never done this and don't know a lot about it but some people use it to get what they want rather than what CA says they can have. You can read more about it at this link:

Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread - Calguns.net

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jcohen24, thanks for the suggestions and in fact it was a Sig that I've set my sights on (giving Bud's a second try). It's the Sig 1911 Railed Stainless, Stainless, 45 ACP with 5" barrel and 8 round magazines. Smithy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just checked Wholesale Hunter and Hinterland Outfitter. They both have the 4"and 5" models in stock.
Have fun!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts