Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I'm a new member here and recently got a P94. I got it used and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it?

The gun came with the frame, a P94 slide/barrel assembly, a P94DC slide/barrel assembly, two 10 round mags, 2 15 round mags, and a decent hard case. The P94 has adjustable 3-dot sights. <3

She seems to be very lightly used and never carried.

My question mostly stems from the grips--they look kinda like the Houge grips, but they're stamped with the Ruger symbol.

I guess the gun is aluminum? Can anyone confirm?

I feel like I'm asking very noobish and simple questions...but I really do want to know everything about the gun. It's my first foray into handguns (from rifles!) If anyone could point me at a good P94 (or similar) document/site (other than the manual--already looked through that!), I'd really appreciate it!

Pictures! Links go to high res versions. Yes, those are rubber duckies. :D If any other pictures would be helpful or interesting, please let me know.

Ooohhh, and what modifications would people recommend or stay away from? I was thinking about putting a florescent front sight on...maybe changing the strength of the magazine spring...some trigger work....?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Pantherchild.
I am definitely not an expert on the P94, so can't really point you in any certain direction for more info.

As far as modifications go, if your P94 is anything like my P345, the trigger pull is terrible. Wolff sells some replacement main springs (hammer springs) which will lighten it up a bit. They can be found here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=476838&t=11082005

That's about the extent of my knowledge!

And I won't question what you do at home, but rubber duckies and Saran wrap... I dunno... :D

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
pantherchild, Can't tell for sure but the grips do look like Hogues. Actually, they are a considerable improvement over the factory grips. The good news is the P-94 has removable grip panels unlike some models so if the grips don't fit you, there are plenty of aftermarket grips available.

Your P-94 was introduced in 1994 (thus the model #) and was taken out of production in 2003. There were several variation made. Your P-94 came with only one slide and barrel assembly ... the other was added by a previous owner. Most "range" shooters prefer a manual safety while most people that carry for self defense prefer the Decocker. You have both so that is a good plus.

Your Ruger catalog number will be KP94DC or KP94. The K is Ruger's designation for stainless steel and the DC is for Decocker.

Your slide, barrel and internal parts are made with stainless steel. The bottom frame is made with an aluminum alloy. These are very strong guns that tend to hold up very well. Accuracy is not "target grade" but is just fine for the intended purpose ... which is tactical. Changing springs or doing other modifications is not recommended on a tactical pistol. Some people change the hammer spring as suggested above. This will lighten both SA and DA trigger pull a little but may cause light primer hits (misfires). The trigger pull is much like other SA/DA pistols .... a long harsh DA pull and a shorter and much lighter SA pull, neither of which is comparable to a target gun.

My recommendation would be to leave the gun alone and concentrate on practice. If you want a target gun, buy one ... don't try to make the P-94 into something is wasn't designed for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Pantherchild.
I am definitely not an expert on the P94, so can't really point you in any certain direction for more info.

As far as modifications go, if your P94 is anything like my P345, the trigger pull is terrible. Wolff sells some replacement main springs (hammer springs) which will lighten it up a bit. They can be found here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=476838&t=11082005

That's about the extent of my knowledge!

And I won't question what you do at home, but rubber duckies and Saran wrap... I dunno... :D
Yeah--the pull isn't bad on the P94, but I'm wondering if it could be better...I have a horrible penchant for TINKERING with things. :D

Hahaha--it's worse if you can see the epoxy, knife, and sandpaper...the story behind that is that I was making new grips for my husband's CZ-52.

(Also, I just love rubber duckies. LOL.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pantherchild, Can't tell for sure but the grips do look like Hogues. Actually, they are a considerable improvement over the factory grips. The good news is the P-94 has removable grip panels unlike some models so if the grips don't fit you, there are plenty of aftermarket grips available.
I found some Ruger-branded Houges on their site...I'm guessing someone either went with an upgraded model or just got a little purchase happy. ;)

Thanks for all the other info. :) I really appreciate it!!

Accuracy is not "target grade" but is just fine for the intended purpose ... which is tactical. Changing springs or doing other modifications is not recommended on a tactical pistol. Some people change the hammer spring as suggested above. This will lighten both SA and DA trigger pull a little but may cause light primer hits (misfires). The trigger pull is much like other SA/DA pistols .... a long harsh DA pull and a shorter and much lighter SA pull, neither of which is comparable to a target gun.

My recommendation would be to leave the gun alone and concentrate on practice. If you want a target gun, buy one ... don't try to make the P-94 into something is wasn't designed for.
Hmmm, interesting.

Quite honestly, my interest in tweaking the gun is purely from a "can't leave well enough alone" standpoint. :D

I understand what you're saying--the last thing I want is for my carry pistol (which the Ruger is not. :D ) to have an increased chance of misfire!

Thanks for taking the time to point out all this to me--I really do appreciate it!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nope ! They were a "special edition" of sorts. More like what I'd call a "party deal" between Hogue and Ruger. They made a limited run of them with these grips and Hogue made them up and put the Ruger emblem on them. I have one too, with the very same grips. Not sure about the extra slide ? Mine came in box w/2 mags and both style grips. The Hogues were on the gun and the plastic style were in a sealed bag in box. Here's mine wearing its blued slide:

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
i love my special edition p94, i picked it up at cabela's with 1 box shot through it, and 2 mag's for 349.99 - no case or manual... the guy shot a box through it didnt like it and traded it for a xd45.

at first i would get 1-2 jams per clip, then i SUPER polished the bore and ramp, and it hasnt jammed since +/- 1250 rounds in 2 months, winchester 165gr flat's, wolf cheapies and lawman/magtech ammo.

polishing the ramp REALLY brings out added performance in this gun....

i can group it pretty well 3-4'' at 15 yards at a center mass target

it will be my concealed carry weapon..... i'd trust my life with it.

here is a pic of the target i was aiming 15 yards at center mass- AFTER THE MODS, my buddy decided to go for the face.... also the one to the right (left on body) was a DA holster draw shot.....

·
Registered
69 Posts

Your P-94 was introduced in 1994 (thus the model #) and was taken out of production in 2003. There were several variation made. Your P-94 came with only one slide and barrel assembly ... the other was added by a previous owner. Most "range" shooters prefer a manual safety while most people that carry for self defense prefer the Decocker. You have both so that is a good plus.

Your Ruger catalog number will be KP94DC or KP94. The K is Ruger's designation for stainless steel and the DC is for Decocker.

Your slide, barrel and internal parts are made with stainless steel. The bottom frame is made with an aluminum alloy. These are very strong guns that tend to hold up very well. Accuracy is not "target grade" but is just fine for the intended purpose ... which is tactical. Changing springs or doing other modifications is not recommended on a tactical pistol. Some people change the hammer spring as suggested above. This will lighten both SA and DA trigger pull a little but may cause light primer hits (misfires). The trigger pull is much like other SA/DA pistols .... a long harsh DA pull and a shorter and much lighter SA pull, neither of which is comparable to a target gun.

Hello Iowaegan, Sorry to highjack this tread, but you seem to be the resident expert on the KP94DC. Well at least I hope so. The slide stop keeps hanging up on my belt slide holster from bagmasters, Can I file down the slide stop on the KP94DC. Will this cause any problems with the way it works.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
olsalt, Altering a gun to fit a holster just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Have you thought about altering the holster or buying a different one?

·
Registered
69 Posts
olsalt, Altering a gun to fit a holster just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Have you thought about altering the holster or buying a different one?

Yeah I have, (not a whole lot out there to choose from) but that pin sticks out farther then any others I have seen, They must have done that so even the seeing impaired can field strip it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts