Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new p95 to the range, i had 3 different types of ammo, but the Federal ammo kept misfeeding , it would also stove pipe and twice it jammed up and it took a good amount of force to rack it back, then the casing flew out.

I shot Winchester which ran OK

I shot some PDX1 which ran the best

Then i shot the federal which just made me feel unsafe and messed up about every 4th shot.

What happened inside the gun to make it jam up that bad? i couldnt tell cause once i got it open it ejected the casing. It really made me nervous to shoot cause everything was just acting up.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Do you have the casings that jammed the gun? If not, it would have been a good idea to collect them. Perhaps something (too much expansion or a defect) was keeping the empty casings from pulling out of the chamber easily. When you forced the slide back the extractor and ejector did their jobs in throwing the casing out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I took my new p95 to the range, i had 3 different types of ammo, but the Federal ammo kept misfeeding , it would also stove pipe and twice it jammed up and it took a good amount of force to rack it back, then the casing flew out.

What happened inside the gun to make it jam up that bad?
Before going to the range, did you field strip, clean, lube, & inspect your P95? It's been my experience that some firearms are shipped with a heavier oil to preserve/protect the firearm until sale to the end consumer. That preservative/protective oil needs to be cleaned out. Try giving your P95 a good clean & lube.

Your P95 is brand new. It needs to break in. When I first shot my P95, it cycled WWB 115gr just fine. It loved 124gr just fine. It didn't like my mild reloads that work fine in my other guns. It took ~500 rounds to break in my P95. Now it cycles everything I put through it.

If all else fails, call Ruger Customer Service. Their customer service reps are excellent. My P95 had issues stripping a round off a fully loaded magazine. Ruger sent me a pre-paid shipping label. Turn around was 10 days. It came back in perfect working order.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Before going to the range, did you field strip, clean, lube, & inspect your P95? It's been my experience that some firearms are shipped with a heavier oil to preserve/protect the firearm until sale to the end consumer. That preservative/protective oil needs to be cleaned out. Try giving your P95 a good clean & lube.

Your P95 is brand new. It needs to break in. When I first shot my P95, it cycled WWB 115gr just fine. It loved 124gr just fine. It didn't like my mild reloads that work fine in my other guns. It took ~500 rounds to break in my P95. Now it cycles everything I put through it.
I had pretty much the same experience, which was exasperated by some limpwristing and my small hands. The cheap, lower-power stuff (Blazer, Magtech) was the worst in the first couple hundred rounds. But I had problems with all ammo. I had to liberally oil (okay, 3-4 drops per side) the inside of the slide that rides on the polymer rails. But now it shoots cheap Federal stuff from Walmart just fine.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
As Jaxrider said I'd take a look at the casings. i had that problem with one of my MK's with winchester ammo. When I checked the casins they were split right down the center. I had to push one out with a cleaning rod.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had the same problem with my P95. As CharlesRiverCobb said, take it apart and use a little lube on the slide rail, barrel, and barrel hood (anywhere that moving part contact). Now it runs everything like a charm. Also, it will take a few hundred rounds to break in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hope you figure it out. If you don't Ruger's customer service is second to none. I've put many thousands through my 95, almost all cheap stuff and lots of Federal Champion
and have yet to have any type of malfunction. Have you ever tried putting a bullet or spent casing in the barrel when you had the gun apart? I wonder if they feel a bit snug, especially the spent casing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt think to keep the casing. I wiped it down after i got but not perfectly. And i didnt oil it before i got it.

Some people said i wouldnt need oil til about 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Field strip it and pull out the barrel and put a fed round into the chamber to see if it goes in easy, if not I would say it was the lot from federal that is bad, I shoot fed champion pretty much exclusively and never had an issue like that in my P95.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's been my experience too...

And some people are idiots!:rolleyes:
Clean it and then add a little oil/grease in the proper places. :D
You pretty much nailed it there. Customer service and actual gunsmiths are pretty well informed and experts on guns. "Some people" are usually "some people".;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts