Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is a new 10/22 $250 and up now? I got mine when I was about 15 for $120, if that, brand new. Still have it.

Same gun, twice the money. What gives?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Seems that all gun makers are going up yearly. I would hazard a guess of anywhere from 3 to 5% yearly. Ah the good ole' days. Just imagine what they will cost 20 years from now.

I'm really afraid of what is going to happen to ammo and componets in the next few years as china and india emerge from 3rd world status to economic giants.

·
Banned
700 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rp_cavanaugh

Why is a new 10/22 $250 and up now? I got mine when I was about 15 for $120, if that, brand new. Still have it.

Same gun, twice the money. What gives?
As much fun is it may be for some to blame lawyers, politicians, and don't forget those evildoers for the increased price of guns, specifically in this case the 1022, they really have nothing to do with it.
Case in point:
I bought a package of hamburger buns today for a normal and customary charge of $2.69. In 1964 a package of buns was approx $.25. The high price stores would get as much as 3/1.00. A Ruger 1022 in 1964(first year)was $65.00
More than ten times the increase today for a simple food. The 1022 is a far cry from 10X or $650.00 today.
Do the same comparisons with gas, cars, housing, and most other non chinese consumables and you'll see that the 1022 continues to be a great American bargain.
Ammo historically is even a better bet. In 1960 Win Super X LR's were priced at $.85-.90/50rds. They're more today but not ten times more. Actually, today you can get good quality rimfire ammo for UNDER the 1960 prices.
There was a large vendor offering the 1022 for $139.00 very recently. I know of another who was running them for $159.00 this summer.
BTW, not sure what year you were 15 but I'm betting you make more $$ now than then!![?] If not then things are perhaps really wowee!:)
Yes, inflation occurs....and yes the price of shooting related items does seem to be increasing disproportionately of late after years of price stabilization. But if you really want something which to be concerned try figuring out why the CPI is rising (inflating) and the "Fed Reserve Board" lowered interest rates today.[:0]
Perhaps a story to scary to discuss in this thread ....but it will effect everyone here well beyond a contemplated 1022 purchase.

SD

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I understand the falling value of the dollar and all, and know that most firearms are reasonably priced compared to other goods. It's like gasoline was a couple years ago, in need of a major market adjustment because it hadn't really changed in price in two decades, while other goods costs rose considerably.

I just think it's crap that a 10/22 should be more than $150 ever. And don't forget that when they were $65, you could also get them at a hardware store of mail-order.

The owner of the company that I am the only employee of is a big-time investor, and we both went to college for economics. He hasn't stopped watching the financial reports in about three weeks. Looks like the situation is about to get pretty serious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts