Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the terror attack in California this week and then this guy http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cops-find-assault-rifle-arsenal-man-backseat-article-1.2455344, the press keeps throwing out the term arsenal to describe their guns and ammo. The guy in New York had approximately 8,300 rounds of ammo and people are freaking out and asking what he needs that much ammo for. I really don't consider it that much since he had several guns in various calibers (.380, .357, .40, .45, 9mm, and an AR). I wonder what people would say about me if they knew I had several thousand rounds in my home. The vast majority is .22lr with about 1,200 rounds of 9mm (I just placed an order) and a few hundred of .357 and .38 special. So what constitutes an arsenal in your eyes?

·
Registered
686 Posts
So what constitutes an arsenal in your eyes?
A warehouse full of all kinds of weapons with an in-house weaponsmith who maintains everything and who is at your disposal.
All else is a collection.

But opinions ofc differ.

·
Super Moderator
22,113 Posts
Someone with more than me.;):p

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
A terrible football (soccer team) in the UK.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My daughter and I were just talking about this same topic. Exactly what I was thinking. If they would check all my ammo for all my guns I bet I have several thousand easily and I don't consider myself an ammo hoarder.
I think it's just plain ignorance of shooting. A few buddies out blazing 9mm for an hour or so can really good through some ammo quickly.
Heck, I shoot revolvers exclusively and can go through a box of 100 very quickly if I want to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a couple thousand rounds of .45 ACP, few hun of .22lr. About 250 .44 mag. and some .38 spl. It's a beautiful thing, makes me smile when I see it.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Not one to worry about such terms be it in the media or about self promoting my own amount of firearms/ammo.

Kinda a double edged sword in a way. Ppl will get all up in arms if the media uses the term to describe what may be a small amount to them, yet then use the term to describe their own, often meager accumulation.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I pick up brass at my local shooting range so I can reload them. I have a few 5 gal. buckets full of brass in my shed. I bet they would consider that a " potential " arsenal because they aren't loaded yet.

I think they'll call anything more than 2 or 3 guns and a couple boxes of ammo an " arsenal "

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Anything the libs can confiscate
To me, an "arsenal" has more guns than I do.

To the libs, that means anyone with more than zero guns.

Jim

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Well, according to the FBI and the drive by news media, the "arsenal" Syed Farook and his wife had in their vehicle consisted of one rifle and one handgun for each of them.

Think about that. This fall, all across America, hundreds of thousands of deer hunters are out in the woods, and almost every one of them is carrying... an arsenal.

Jeez Louise.

The actual definitions of the word are:

1. An establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment

2. A collection of weapons

Arsenal is also used to describe a store, or repertoire, such as "the team's arsenal of veteran players."

Note that the general theme points to a relatively large number of things. Two guns per person is not an arsenal. Just as Orwell warned in his book 1984, our language is being manipulated by forces of evil.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Since you asked, here is my definition of an arsenal:

- 20 or more guns in various calibers and styles, be it rifle, revolver, etc.
- 10,000 rounds or more of ammo for each gun available.
- Parts on hand to repair ANY gun in inventory.
- A stockpile of reloading supplies to reload each existing round 10 times or more.

I think that would be my basic qualifications for an arsenal.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
i consider myself the "average joe" who enjoys and appreciates firearms on a modest budget, and having 2 boys who also enjoy range time...

i've typically got about 1500 rds of 9mm, 3k or more of .22LR, and probably 200-300 rds of varying types of 20ga.

i have 8 firearms. i would assume that if the media had a need to report on what i consider reasonable and varied selection of personal firearms... and supplies to make 4-5 trips to the range with the boys... i'd be considered a gun freak with a threateningly large arsenal.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
precisely... its all about the spin and agendas.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
In the last 7 + years, we have had record (of close to it) gun sales. I think the American public has become an Arsenal !! :D :D

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
An arsenal is where 100 people can grab one hundred, more or less, identical firearms stored at one central location and do something with them that was directed by a central authority. when one person owns 100 dissimilar firearms, that's a collection.

I dunno why people freak out over one person owning a bunch of firearms. It's not like they are an octopus and can fire six of them at a time.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts