Ruger Forum banner
221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've been eyeing the Berry HHP for a while so bought a box of the 124 gr 9mm and loaded it with 4.5 grains of W231. Ran great in my brand new Max 9. Will start buying those instead of RN since I only load 9mm for my compact carry guns and like the idea of practicing with hollow points.

May need to try some in 45 now too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just loaded 50 rounds of 250gr LRNFP over 9.0gr of Power Pistol for my 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk - using my brand new Starline brass that was delivered yesterday...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I had 20 more pieces of primed brass for 6.5x55 as shown in post 220. I fired 10 of the original load on Tuesday at 25 yards to see if the sights were remotely close, lots of humidity that day so I struggled with fogging glasses each time I tried to shoot but ended up with a 1 1/4" group high enough above center that I have hopes it will hit paper out at 100 yards (presumably next week). That being the case, and with the powder measure and seating dies being unchanged I upped my 'inventory' to 30 rounds. Load development should be on my list but hitting at 100 and getting used to open sights again will happen first. A plus was that the chrono showed reasonable results for a 'bottom of the list' starting load (2,378 Ave, 45 ES), improvements can happen in time.

Bruce

·
Registered
.22 Single Sixes, MkII, 10-22, 22 Charger, 77-357, 45 American, 44 Vaqueros, GP100s.
558 Posts
100 Hornady 148gr HBLWC, Federal 100 primers, 2.8gr Bullseye, new Winchester cases. Classic target load. Trying them out next weekend, when I'm taking Friday off. First new "box full" on my new loading bench. Flipped my press lever over from right to left handed, to give my damaged left shoulder some easy exercise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just loaded up 100 rounds of 41 magnum for a Smith and 3 sets of 25 rounds for my 77/357. My 'go-to' 158 JHP load is 16.2 grains of Lil Gun (yes, I know about the warnings) so I added .3 to 16.5, .3 to 16.8, and .2 for 17.0 grains, all in once-fired Federal cases, and always use Win Small Pistol Magnum primers. 18.0 is the loading manual max, although Brian Pearce published 20.0 grains a few years ago in 'Handloader.'

Just want to see if there is a more accurate combo than my standard - I worked that load up in a Marlin 1894C years ago (sold it and should not have), but now have time to experiment for the newer rifle.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
592 Posts
I had 20 more pieces of primed brass for 6.5x55 as shown in post 220. I fired 10 of the original load on Tuesday at 25 yards to see if the sights were remotely close, lots of humidity that day so I struggled with fogging glasses each time I tried to shoot but ended up with a 1 1/4" group high enough above center that I have hopes it will hit paper out at 100 yards (presumably next week). That being the case, and with the powder measure and seating dies being unchanged I upped my 'inventory' to 30 rounds. Load development should be on my list but hitting at 100 and getting used to open sights again will happen first. A plus was that the chrono showed reasonable results for a 'bottom of the list' starting load (2,378 Ave, 45 ES), improvements can happen in time.

Bruce
Have you posted any photos of your Mauser?
I would love to see it. :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Have you posted any photos of your Mauser?
I would love to see it. :)

There are a couple here What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related) post number 6,242, 10 days ago.

I still don't have a single picture which encompasses the whole rifle but did get some 'detail pictures'.

I don't expect that I will ever have reason to shoot it using that rear sight elevated but I always considered them 'cool'. Judging by the lint I should wipe the rifle down better before taking more pictures.

Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
There are a couple here What have you bought in the last 48 hours?(firearms related) post number 6,242, 10 days ago.

I still don't have a single picture which encompasses the whole rifle but did get some 'detail pictures'.

I don't expect that I will ever have reason to shoot it using that rear sight elevated but I always considered them 'cool'. Judging by the lint I should wipe the rifle down better before taking more pictures.

Bruce
Very nice.
Mausers are classic.

Reactions: FireEscape

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I am terrible when it comes to giving in to the power of suggestion. Spent a couple hours today reading "John Taffin's Book of the .44 Caliber" (about a third of the way through now), so of course I need to shoot my NM .44 Special Flat Top and it would need to be with one of John's favorite loads. So, off to the loading bench (well first laying on the floor to crawl under the sewing machine where I hope I still have some 240 gr cast SWC bullets squirreled away), found the bullets and on to the bench. I figure this batch of brass must have been one of my earlier attempts at liquid tumbling with pins. They were scrupulously clean but far from shiny, had they not been already primed I would have been tempted to run them through again.

Usually, unless I 'need' to shoot something specific, I rotate stock so these would go to the bottom of the stack. These, being so dark, are embarrassing so I think that I will shoot them up and give the brass a fresh start.
With these loaded I have 555 more .44 LSWC bullets, having heard about extended lead time I better start looking for more. Maybe even try some powder coated ones.

Bruce

·
Registered
592 Posts
Loaded up another batch of .308 Hornady 168gr Z-Max test loads trying to find my rifles sweet spot.

**** Picked up this 500rnd box 'o bullets years ago.
I know some tend to despise the whole zombie thing, but they're just Hornady A-Max with a greenish tip.
.....At $0.16/bullet, I can live with the green tip. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Loaded up another batch of .308 Hornady 168gr Z-Max test loads trying to find my rifles sweet spot.

View attachment 158457

**** Picked up this 500rnd box 'o bullets years ago.
I know some tend to despise the whole zombie thing, but they're just Hornady A-Max with a greenish tip.
.....At $0.16/bullet, I can live with the green tip. :ROFLMAO:
I don't recall the whole 'zombie thing' being a great success for them but getting bullets at a bargain because the poly tip is a different color works for me as a shooter!

Bruce

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't recall the whole 'zombie thing' being a great success for them but getting bullets at a bargain because the poly tip is a different color works for me as a shooter!

Bruce
Honestly, I never had a problem with the zombie ammo they put out, I have a few boxes of it, including some 12ga shotgun. (Ya never know, right? :ROFLMAO: :LOL:)

I bought a 500 rnd box of .224 55gr and .308 168gr because they were on closeout and marked down. Tossed them in the reloading cabinet and forgot about them.

According to my reloading spreadsheet I bought them in April and May of 2013.
I just started loading .308 last week for my Cetme Model C.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Loaded up some Barnes 130gr TTSX w/ IMR3031 for my Cetme Mod. C

Between the 168gr Z-Max and these,
Looks like 1"@100yds is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Loaded up some Barnes 130gr TTSX w/ IMR3031 for my Cetme Mod. C

Between the 168gr Z-Max and these,
Looks like 1"@100yds is as good as it gets.
I think that 'we' have all been spoiled with the new rifles and ammo (or at least the magazine reports about them) of the last decade. It wasn't so long ago that any rifle which could regularly shoot moa was exceptional, I know plenty of shooters who could not shoot moa with any rifle.
Our expectations are rather high these days.

Bruce

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think that 'we' have all been spoiled with the new rifles and ammo (or at least the magazine reports about them) of the last decade. It wasn't so long ago that any rifle which could regularly shoot moa was exceptional, I know plenty of shooters who could not shoot moa with any rifle.
Our expectations are rather high these days.

Bruce
I don't have particularly high expectations, especially since this is rifle was assembled by Century Arms.
Hell, I'm pretty happy that it shoots straight at all.
1" is great considering what it is. I'm happy to get the same results with my 80 y/o Kar98k.

So, it's not so much of a complaint as frustration. With both rifles, it seems that the 3rd shot is always a 1"-4" flyer.
Not sure what causes that, unless maybe by the 3rd shot the barrel is warm enough to throw that shot off.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
.257 Rob'ts, & .257 Rob'ts + P both with Barnes 115 gr. TSX , 6.5X55 mm 120 gr. TSX , 6.5- 270 Stegall 140 gr Hornady. This was over the last couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Reloaded a couple hundo 12 ga sporting clays loads from what I shot the other day playing hooky from work Friday morning. AA hulls, #8 shot at about 1300 fps.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Raining here today, so I loaded up 50 x .44mag for the Ruger .44 Carbine.

221 - 240 of 252 Posts