I took the advice of several reloaders here on the forum and straightened my bent decapping pin and expander ball mount. They will become spare parts when new pieces arrive from RCBS. I got my first trial batch of .308 Win loads done this morning. I hope that the weather Friday and Saturday lets me get out to shoot.
I just stepped into the house from my loading room. I loaded fifty 221 Fireballs, they last a long time
with a T/C Encore shooting one at a time. The Encore barrel was made by MGM and is silly accurate.
It likes Lil Gun powder behind 53GR Sierra Match Kings. I guess I better get back out there, might load
some 218 Bees or 25-20s. Stay Safe everyone!
I deprimed and decrimped 556 brass today, cleaned the primer pockets. Small batches by hand for me - 300ish. Sadly, my primer collection isn't conducive to filling said pockets. Monotonous yes but, hey, I was still at the bench with some Johnny Cash.
Sorting and cleaning .223/5.56 brass from various sources. I look for those with damaged necks and turn them into .300 AAC. I see a lot of military 5.56 with little dents on the shoulders - all in the same location. I assume those were fired from some sort of machine gun. I'm old-school so I don't know what they're using these days but full auto 5.56 in my day only came from an M-16 and that probably wouldn't put the dent in them. The SAW in 5.56 was just coming out when I left the Army in '84. Maybe that's the culprit.
Started processing a bunch of .45 Colt brass I got a couple years ago. It’s starline brass but it came out of a range in Vegas and had run through a Gatling Gun. Only reason it is noteworthy is the primers. They were slightly raised, and more troublesome was they had a raised burr. I might try to get a picture from the next round. I am guessing that burr is from the primer still in contact with the firing pin as the barrel is starting to rotate, creating that raised burr. So, it took a while to work through a couple hundred cases as prior to running them through the sizing die, I had to pop the primer out with a punch, otherwise I was unable to get the case in the shellholder with the primer still in the case.