Ruger Forum banner
501 - 520 of 542 Posts

· Registered
5,284 Posts
I had an interesting day at the range today. A client asked me if he could use our range to check his brand new, 308 Browning bolt gun out, for an upcoming Texas hog hunt he has paid for.

I am always up to shoot, so I grabbed my No. 1 and a couple boxes of my new Norma ammo, and we met at the farm. Old No. 1 picture, not from today…
Sky Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Plant

My Ruger - this gun has about 75 rounds through it now and appeared to be settling down to be a 1.5 moa rifle with 30-06 CoreLokt. To be honest, I had hoped for better. Well today it did better than 1 moa, repeatedly, using the new Norma Whitetail (their basic ammo) in my Ruger. Norma Whitetail only comes in 150 grain soft point bullets. I’m thrilled and that was using a saw horse to shoot from. I bought a case of 10 boxes of the Norma on faith (and on sale 😉) without even trying it. I am not cleaning this gun till hunting season is over.

His Browning - my client is a black guy and an ex-air force security officer. My impression was he had shot a lot before. This was our first time shooting together. He would drop 3 in a 2 moa group, then the next 3 shots would be 5 moa or worse. He kept changing his gun positioning on the saw horse and seemed to be afraid of getting scope eye. I convinced him to move up on the scope and to set the rifle on the saw horse so it was supported exactly the same each time. I got him into a method he could at least repeat in the field. His groups immediately improved to consistently under 2 moa.

At this point we considered a scope adjustment on his Browning. To save us a possible mistake, I shot a 3 round group with his gun. I put 3 in about 1 moa and centered 2 inches high at 100 yards. The gun shop that zeroed the gun for him did a good job. I suggested we leave the rifle alone for now, until he shoots it some more.

· Registered
216 Posts
Put a new scope on my CZ457 and moved the old scope to the 10/22

Used this new S&B Club for the sight in. First tested the S&B. I was pleased,
then ran some TAC 22 (10). The surprise was the Federal Auto Match
There are 5 in that group.

Font Line Rectangle Gas Flooring

· Registered
67 Posts
Spent the whole day on Thursday at a great outdoor range with my best friend of 58 years. He brought a Ruger AR556 and an old(er) Bushmaster AR as well as his S&W M&P 45 Compact (one of my favorite pistols).
I brought my M&P15, my old SKS and my Ruger 9E.
I've had the 9E for about 7 years and it originally displayed some light primer strikes but whatever the problem was - I religiously clean out the firing pin channel - it's disappeared. I've now run over 450 rounds through it since I last experienced any failures of any kind.
I'm a huge fan of the late, lamented SR series, also owning an SR45. I find them to be ergonomically superior to virtually any handguns I've owned in over 40 years, reliable, affordable and even (dare I say it?) attractive.
It was great shooting the 9E again the other day. I put 90 rounds of handloads through it with nary a hiccup. It's still one of my favorite guns.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
Went hunting this morning, bowling pins were in season but not many of us made it to the range to hunt them (been seeing that in all of our events this year, participation numbers are down a lot) so we didn't run any timed events just 3 or 4 guys on the line at a time first table cleared wins. After a while we took pity on the 9mm guys and set the pins at the back edges of the tables so they only had to hit them once. My .41 Blackhawk and S&W 58 are happy enough with the pins set mid-table although there were a couple that I only knocked over, not the guns fault that I don't always hit the center. 195 gr HBWC at about 900 worked pretty well but not as well as some of my .44 and .45 loads have. I had great expectations for a 205 gr WC bullet but once I had them all seated and crimped I found out that they would not chamber in the Ruger and only did so with a lot of effort in the S&W, that nice, square edged nose is just too long. I will have to shoot up what will chamber, pull the others and start that quest again. SWC's work but don't necessarily bite into the plastic coating of the pins like full Wad Cutters do. That was our last Pin Shoot until Spring so I have lots of time to figure out what loads to try next time!

Bruce

· Registered
806 Posts
Put a scope on my SBH to test two loads - Hornady 240 gr. HP/XTP and Hunters Supply 240 gr. Lead SWC. I wanted to get to the outdoor range and shoot targets at 50 and 100 yards. Remnants of Ian made that out of the question, so I went to an indoor range and shot targets at 25 yards. Both loads showed great promise. At 25 yards, both loads shot to almost the same point of impact. Some pictures follow:

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Optical instrument Tints and shades Personal protective equipment

Super Blackhawk 44 mag. with 2x Weaver

Circle Pattern Symmetry Art Precision sports

25 yards, kneeling, 5 shots with each load - The semi-wadcutter holes are easy to spot. Their group size was 4 1/2 inches center-to-center. The Hornady HP/XTP I've marked with an X. Their group size was 5 1/4 inches center-to-center.

I also shot my High Standard Double-Nine revolver with the .22 LR cylinder and the .22 Win. Mag cylinder. The Win. Mag. was the most accurate.

· Registered
806 Posts
Great picture. Illustrates well the gasses escaping the gap between the barrel and the cylinder. Knew a man who made the mistake of holding his 38 Spl. snubbie with the web of his left hand near the front of the cylinder. Got a very bad burn.

· Registered
200 Posts
I took out the P89 and P345 that I've picked up recently.
Both shot great. The P89 kicks like a 22. The mag that came with it is not factory. It fed well, but didn't always lock the slide on the last round.
The 345 is a soft shooter for a 45. All 3 factory mags worked well.
Any lack of accuracy was totally my fault.
I had to buy some extra 9mm at the range shop. I thought his price was fair until I realized the off brand ammo he had was in boxes of 45 rounds, not 50.
Still, more fun than sitting at home.

· Grand Inquisitor
2,872 Posts
The AR is my least favorite gun to shoot, until I shoot it. It "has no soul," like most modern firearms to me.

And yet. I shot it with irons (and new glasses) at 100 feet today, seated and with a sandbag rifle rest. Reloaded .223 jacketed.
Paint Rectangle Wood Art Font

That was big fun. These are the final 13 I shot before packing it in, on a fresh target.

· Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Spent some time with my Mark III 22/45 dialing in some rimfire. Blazer RN 40gr., MiniMag HP 38gr. and Armscor 36gr. at 25 ft.-> Just had fun with one of my favorite Rugers.
*Also tested out my Sig P365 with new Beavertail grips. Grips made a good impact on my old hands and control.
Paint Automotive design Gas Easel Art

· Registered
832 Posts
Sewing machine Trigger Household appliance accessory Sewing machine needle Font

Mounted fiber optic front sight and OEM rear sight to my Mark IV 22/45 Lite and finally got to sight it in today.

I fired 100 rounds of Norma Tac 22 followed by 200 rounds of CCI Blazer without a hiccup. Gun is working great. I could really tell the difference in ammo and the feel do to the compensator. The Blazers really made the comp work.

· Registered
216 Posts
I got an outdoor range day yesterday. Took the Mini-30 with some new S&B brass, Norma brass I already had and Wolf classic in steel case.
The Mini was giving me a very hard time with the steel case chambering last time out. So I did a extensive cleaning of the chamber.
My sights are iron and the back sight is Tech Sight. All the targets are at 50 yards.

I used this target to get refamiliar with the sights. First 5 rounds of each were at this target,

Organism Font Art Petal Astronomical object

This is the S&B.

Rectangle Slope Line Parallel Font

Now the Norma, I was pleased.

Window Font Symmetry Pattern Rectangle

Finally Wolf Classic

Font Line Symmetry Slope Pattern

I had Ruger 5, 10 and 20 round magazines. The 10 was giving problems with the follower nosediving the last round straight down into the magazine.
Taking all 3 apart, the 10 round follower depth as a bit too short and the spring final angle was different from the 5 and 20. So I adjusted the spring
with some pliers to match the 5 and 20. Seems to have worked, no problems.

I also took the wifes LH Savage in 22LR. Removing from the case, uh oh, I left the lock in the action and did not bring those keys.
But I also forgot my binoculars, so I used the scope to see the hits from the Mini-30.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
It is the last Sunday of the month so that makes it Shotgun Tournament day at our club. A father and young son showed up not remembering that it was 'Tournament Day' (our 'Tournaments' are anything but formal, more an excuse to try breaking some clays with like minded people) He mentioned not bringing $$ so they couldn't enter but they had planned to shoot some clays, we never charge Junior Shooters at any of our events and told Dad that we could just as easily throw some of his clays and he didn't need any $$ either (we charge $10 for 50 clays just to cover expenses and maintenance of the traps). Dad shot pretty well, son had not shot shotgun before and Dad's 20ga was pushing him around quite a bit, I offered use of my O/U 12 with really light 3/4 ounce loads if he could manage the weight of the gun. He did pretty well until he got tired then they went down the line a ways and shot some .22 rifle, I think that they will be back! I shot my first round and that was enough for my hip so when it was time for round two I offered my spot and gun to a friend who was just there watching. The clays were not in extreme danger but he was all smiles and will probably be looking to try it again.

Back in the early 60's my dad bought a boat and would take the family and some friends out fishing for cod and haddock. The only time I ever saw him catch a fish was when someone asked him to hold a rod while they grabbed a snack or something. He always insisted that he had just as much fun watching as actually catching fish, (of course he was the only reason any of us were able to go fishing as well but at 9 years old I didn't pick up on that very quickly). It took me a decade or two to reach that same point in my own shooting and fishing, I still love to do it but find even more reward in enabling others to try.

Bruce

· Registered
806 Posts
Rainy day today, so outdoor range work is out. So I plan to take my .32 ACP V. Bernardelli Model 60 to the indoor range when it opens. Will post targets in a range report later. The Model 60 is single-action, capacity is 7 + 1 in a single-stack magazine, and it prefers 71 grain full metal jackets - ejects them cleanly and no jams. It points naturally for me and is easily concealable. Its one fault is no slide lock - the empty magazine locks the slide open, making mag ejection a pain.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
Rugers: Model 19122 pc 9 , American Competion
3,556 Posts
Pc9. Off hand. Wasted big bucks. 124 +p+ black talons I had in a chest. 107 YARDS. wind out of se gusts 15 mph cloudy/sun/clear

Ps backdoor neighbor noticed sound difference between my target loads and my business loads. May need can after all....
Plant Wood Rectangle Grass Groundcover

Plant Road surface Asphalt Grass Electric blue

· Registered
5,284 Posts
This was our last weekend before our modern firearms season opens for deer. We replaced some rotted timbers on our bridge and cleaned up a tree we dropped Saturday. Today three of us shot our rifles one last time. We had a Browning A bolt, my buddy’s Sauer, and both my M77 Mk2 and No.1. All of them 30-06 of course.

Both my guns are right on 1.7 high at 100 yards and shooting under 1 moa groups. My rifles are set, if I miss it’s on me.

We also pulled the data card from the camera and have a dandy 10 pt showing up several times.

501 - 520 of 542 Posts