Ruger Forum banner
3441 - 3460 of 3477 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
726 Posts
The wife and I went to our newly acquired property and ran one of the ARs, the SP101 and the wifes T100 Canik.
Nothing quite like having your own land to shoot on.
Congratulations on your land purchase.

Hopefully your yearly rent payment to the government does not get too high. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Shot my Black Mamba with 300 rounds of CCI Blazer followed by 100 rounds of CCI 40 grain HP Mini Mags to see if they would function. Not a problem in all 400 rounds. Blazers are my go-to round for practice. I wanted to see if the hollow points of the MM would cause a problem because I was able to order 4 bricks of them and want to shoot them for matches.

They shoot extremely well. On a Bianchi Target at 15 yards I kept all shots in the center ring.

I know, only change one thing at a time but I started out with my normal Blazers and was working on a new grip style. I always use to put my index finger of my weak hand on the trigger guard for stability. Over the years I changed to having my left hand lower on the gun and not using the trigger guard.

Today I could feel a big difference in stability and in control. When I got the grip right my shots were all centers. When I missed it I missed to the right by a few inches. I'm going to try to keep working on my new grip and see how it goes for the next month.

BTW, met a great older gentleman while waiting for the range to open up. He was using a walker like mine so we had something to talk about. Mentioned my USAF hat and that he was Air Force as well. Turning 88 next month he was a pilot during Korea and again during Vietnam. Rose to the range of Lt C before he got out. We shared about 1/2 hour of stories that I was glad to hear from him. Really helped make my day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The end one $1 a round. Free for law enforcement.

Plant Botany Wood Grass Groundcover

The club sponsored a National Patrol Rifle Conference and Championship. Vendors were there and a good
assortment of full auto rifles for you, yes you, to shoot.

Full auto AK47, authentic not a build.
Vertebrate Mammal Grass Hat Air gun

9MM pistol full auto. Not sure of the make. Vendor was there with hand on the shoulder
for helping with control. Something you don't see in video games or movies - the true
difficulty controlling full auto recoil.

Hat Air gun Glove Shooting range Outdoor recreation

I did not see anyone who when done turned with a big smile like this.

Ballistic vest Smile Air gun Machine gun Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Not a thing shot today. I got a call from our club President a couple of days ago, the person who runs our Pin Shoots had fallen ill and if it was going to be held I needed to run it. So, I moved 5 revolvers and a pile of ammo into my 30+ year old truck (needed it to haul the tables, etc. downrange to where we shoot, that is usually already done when I arrive as age has it's privileges) this morning under very threatening skies and headed to the range. I expected maybe 4 shooters as last month, with beautiful weather we only had 5 and one of those was ill, we had wondered then whether the difficulty in replacing ammo kept people home. 8 of us converged on the gate within a minute a couple more arrived shortly afterward, most were relatively new shooters whom I did not know. They quickly piled some tables, bowling pins and shooting stands onto my truck and we set up to shoot. After a few rounds with the pins set at the back edges of the tables for the .22 shooters the skies cleared and we moved on to centerfires. Many of the newer shooters were sharing guns so I broke out 4 Blackhawks and a 629 Classic and encouraged them to try 'something different'. There were lots of grins as they saw how 'calibers beginning with 4' took the pins off the table where the 9mms had mostly knocked them down. Three hours later we picked everything back up and headed home. I never fired a shot but all the smiles I saw made it a great day at the range for me!

Bruce

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
726 Posts
Not a thing shot today. I got a call from our club President a couple of days ago, the person who runs our Pin Shoots had fallen ill and if it was going to be held I needed to run it. So, I moved 5 revolvers and a pile of ammo into my 30+ year old truck (needed it to haul the tables, etc. downrange to where we shoot, that is usually already done when I arrive as age has it's privileges) this morning under very threatening skies and headed to the range. I expected maybe 4 shooters as last month, with beautiful weather we only had 5 and one of those was ill, we had wondered then whether the difficulty in replacing ammo kept people home. 8 of us converged on the gate within a minute a couple more arrived shortly afterward, most were relatively new shooters whom I did not know. They quickly piled some tables, bowling pins and shooting stands onto my truck and we set up to shoot. After a few rounds with the pins set at the back edges of the tables for the .22 shooters the skies cleared and we moved on to centerfires. Many of the newer shooters were sharing guns so I broke out 4 Blackhawks and a 629 Classic and encouraged them to try 'something different'. There were lots of grins as they saw how 'calibers beginning with 4' took the pins off the table where the 9mms had mostly knocked them down. Three hours later we picked everything back up and headed home. I never fired a shot but all the smiles I saw made it a great day at the range for me!

Bruce
That sounds like a good day and a job well done. :)

Reactions: FireEscape

·
Registered
685 Posts
I shot my Black Mamba for a Steel Challenge match today. Not my best score but not my worst and I had lots of fun. I shot with a new squad and people I've never shot with before. It's always fun to shoot with better shooters and see the way they interpret the stages.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Broke out all the unfired .45 (LC) Colt revolvers, What a great day! All NIB revolvers, a 1973 Colt 1873-1973 Centennial, Taylors enhanced Smoke Wagon, Taylors Schofield charcoal blue, Standard Mfg. SA and a 1964 Colt Nevada Centennial. Lots of depreciation but lots of fun! 50 rounds each and not one malfunction, happy camper!
Motor vehicle Trigger Revolver Air gun Wood

Revolver Air gun Trigger Automotive exhaust Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Rectangle Gun barrel Wood

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Revolver

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It was actually a couple of days ago, back on Sunday we held our monthly 'Shotgun Tournament'. Calling it a 'tournament' might be something of a stretch, it bears NO resemblance to a golf tournament where everyone watches quietly. With both constructive criticism and downright heckling encouraged it is more of an excuse to get out with like minded individuals and shoot a couple of boxes of shells. What we shoot is closer to trap than skeet but we don't have a trap house and the birds get launched from the firing line more or less beside the shooter so distances are short. Not unusual for this year it was pouring rain when I left the house but it cleared off before time to shoot, 9 shooters showed up and despite not having shot in several months I ended up in a three way tie for second place (45 out of 50 which I know would suck for 'real' trap shooters but it is about average for us here).

Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Today I just took my time and shot the Wrangler, EC9s and S&W15-22. Todays goal was to just take my time. Did that.
*Shot left over Mini-Mag RN, Blazzer, Aquila and some Winchester out of the Rangler for just SA fun.
*Several mags of joy out of the EC9s to keep the cob webs off my grip. Blazzer 115gr
Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire

*Tested new 10 round black and 25 round FDE mags with the SW15-22. (a very fun rifle for plinking and target shooting)

·
Registered
685 Posts

Tried to shoot my 1911 22 today but I kept getting hammer fall. I put in a Cylinder & Slide trigger kit that was supposed to reduce the pull to 4.5 pounds. It works at 5.5 - 6 pounds but hammer follows when I get it below 4 pounds..

I also shot my Ruger Mark IV 22/45. I learned a long time ago to bring two guns with me just in case and it paid off today.

I set up a Bianchi Tombstone Target at 10 years, fired two hundred rounds of CCI Blazer 38 grain in the red milk carton box and had no failures whatsoever. This is my backup gun but I shot it so well, not one shot out of the 4 inch X, that I'm thinking of using it at our next match.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very nice! A set of Hogue “Tamer” grips really help. They aren’t near as pretty, but they absorb a lot of recoil.
The recoil is not all that bad due to the weight of the revolver. But it is the weight and the effort to
hold steady. Primarily the arthritis in the right hand with a dash of carpal tunnel are tamped down
with some Aleve. But I forgot to take it and it was in the evening so my manual work from the day
already had my joints additionally inflamed.

But those grips just might help me in lessening the grip effort.

I do like shooting the revolver. And at the range with all those 9 mm pop guns going off, this
portable hand cannon always draws a crowd.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Went back to the range today with the Colt 1911 22. I was getting hammer follow so I replaced all the OEM parts and it went away. Trigger pull is still a little heavy so I'll be putting the Cylinder & Slide trigger kit back in to see if I can get it down to around 4 - 4.5 pounds.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Got up early and went to mountains and shot my Browning Black Label 380. I put 100 rounds thru it without any issues. I may not shoot this one until next year. This gun is a pleasure to shoot and has never given me a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had the stainless Lipsey’s Bisley Blackhawk 3.75” 45 Colt/45ACP convertible out today. I was shooting 45 ACP today, and both Hornady 230gr XTP HP +P and Winchester 230gr JHP groups were under 2” at 15 yds.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel

Also had a stainless Single Six 22 along and shot some CCI SV. Pic shows the 22 Mag cylinder, but I had the 22LR cylinder in today.
Revolver Everyday carry Hunting knife Wood Gas

A great weather day, 60’s, for shooting.:)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My Ruger 2296 lever but i mounted a ATN day/nite scope on it and was working out the function buttons and how to zero it. Worked ok pretty intuitive buttons the one shot zero works ok now i understand it better

3441 - 3460 of 3477 Posts