Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New SR22 owner and am looking for "opinions" on what distance I can expect to hit with some reasonable amount of accuracy. Not that I can shoot with much accuracy, but curious about the weapon. I know the two are related but wonder what the "normal" shooting distance is. Thanks

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Hey daviscc,i would suggest that question would be best answered by yourself after a good practice "plinking" session theres just to many variables that would come into play,shooter skill level,ammo,conditions etc etc....but hey nice pistol you will enjoy it i am sure. set up at 15 and see how you go then move out to 20 etc etc.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I love my sr22 and I don't usually like plastic guns. The sr22 is in a class of its own. I do most of my shooting at 10 and 15 yards at an indoor range. When I do get to plink, I like to use varying distances. Another benefit I have found in the sr22 is that it shoots anything.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Another benefit I have found in the sr22 is that it shoots anything."
Mine did well the first and only time out with Federal Bulk. The problem I had was that about 12 times it failed to load an new round. Not sure what's going on but got a reply on another post that the recoil spring may not have been seated properly. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
"Another benefit I have found in the sr22 is that it shoots anything."
Mine did well the first and only time out with Federal Bulk. The problem I had was that about 12 times it failed to load an new round. Not sure what's going on but got a reply on another post that the recoil spring may not have been seated properly. We'll see.
Hi I have two SR22's I find that if you pull down on the follower just eougth to get one round in at a time instead of pulling it all the way to the bottom and dropping the rounds in helps, also if you slap the back of the loaded mag aganist your plam it helps line up the rounds aganist the back of the mag. Give that a try it's worked for a number of us.

·
Registered
549 Posts
We usually shoot at 7-10 yds at our local indoor range, and at that range it dead on, but at times I move it out to 15-25 yds just to see how I shoot, so far the SR22 has been great.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"also if you slap the back of the loaded mag aganist your plam it helps line up the rounds aganist the back of the mag. Give that a try it's worked for a number of us. "

Thanks "GMSOAPY", I'll give that a try. I did notice that after loading the magazine the rounds didn't see to be all lined up. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
16,246 Posts
New SR22 owner and am looking for "opinions" on what distance I can expect to hit with some reasonable amount of accuracy. Not that I can shoot with much accuracy, but curious about the weapon. I know the two are related but wonder what the "normal" shooting distance is. Thanks
daviscc ... You bring up a great question and the real answer to your question is that it depends. I'm going to attempt to answer this from 2 different perspectives keeping in mind that the SR22 was not designed and is not marketed as a quality target pistol:

1. Inherent Pistol Accuracy/Distance - I think that most shooters would agree that if your goal is testing the inherent accuracy of any pistol, it is typically accomplished by placing it in a Ransom rest and testing it with a variety of ammo indoors at 25 yards, as this technique takes the elements and the shooter's ability out of the equation, leaving only the pistol & ammo as the primary variables. I have yet to see any Ransom rest data on the SR22. The closest thing that I've seen was Jeff Quinn testing it off of a TSI pistol rest and getting 1.75" to 4+" groups at 25 yards

2. Real World Pistol Accuracy/Distance - When you take away the rest and add the shooter to the equation, things get a bit dicey as you add a layer of the shooter's technique, experience & ability to the inherent accuracy of the gun which will always increase the size of the groups to one degree or another and tends to be more noticeable as distances increase (Though there are many internet claims of shooters displaying off hand accuracy that rivals what a pistol can do from a Ransom rest, rare if any are the instances where it's likely true IMHO). Accordingly, I would suspect that a experienced shooter, (shooting an SR22 off hand) can keep 5 shot groups in the 1" - 2" range at 10 yards and in the 3" - 5" range at 25 yards.

My opinion only ... YMMV :)

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
Mine was accurate at 50 feet. I don't know if I really will shoot it regularly beyond that. I'm sure ill try 25 yards one day but I have fun keeping it at around 50 feet. I love shooting mine but as it got dirty I had a few fail to feed and then a few fail to eject. I gave it a good cleaning so hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great information and certainly eye opening. As you can probably guess, I am new to pistols and am having a ball shooting them. Rifles and shotguns have been my main diet of shooting but wanted a new challenge and I think I have found one. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
383 Posts
"also if you slap the back of the loaded mag aganist your plam it helps line up the rounds aganist the back of the mag. Give that a try it's worked for a number of us. "

Thanks "GMSOAPY", I'll give that a try. I did notice that after loading the magazine the rounds didn't see to be all lined up. Thanks again.
I formed the habit of slapping the magazine on the palm of my hand many years ago when training with the M14. I think it helps line the rounds up in any magazine.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
760 Posts
I am by no means a competitive shooter. I grew up with guns and recently got back into it after 15 years away. That said, I can hit a clothes pin at 15 yards with my SR22. I won't say I hit it on my first shot but within the first mag usually. I would agree that you should be able to hit a soda can at 30 yards with ease after some practice.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried 25 yards today and the results were not to good. I was shooting an 8" target and I was hitting the target but the hits were all over the place. No way to tell if there was any "pattern" to my shooting. I did shoot it at about 15 feet before and had pretty good luck but 25 yards seems to be a challenge for both me and the SR22.

·
Super Moderator
16,246 Posts
Tried 25 yards today and the results were not to good. I was shooting an 8" target and I was hitting the target but the hits were all over the place. No way to tell if there was any "pattern" to my shooting. I did shoot it at about 15 feet before and had pretty good luck but 25 yards seems to be a challenge for both me and the SR22.
daviscc ... You'll eventually get better at the 25 yard mark as you hone your technique with lots of practice. I would suggest in the interim that you move the target out in smaller increments. Since you said you felt pretty good about your groups at 15', try your next target at 20' and then at 25', adding 5' increments instead of going from 15' to 25 yards. While it will take you while before to get to 25 yards, I think that you will find the journey more rewarding and much less frustrating.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Accuracy

210 rounds today with the wife - Remington Golden Bullets - iron sights (got a laser but forgot I only had 3 batteries in it - new batteries are on order).

The range is only about 35 foot to the back wall.

Attached photo is between 4 and 6 full magazines - had other targets - these two were some of what I shot today. the one hand included one magazine off hand.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts