Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find some grips for a Ruger I just acquired and I am not sure what I have. According to the serial number chart the gun was made in 1979. It has a tapered barrel with fixed iron sights. Do all Mark I's have adjustable sights?

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
You could read the "Stickies" on this subject at the top of this forum...

Reactions: moakes58

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Yes, check the two stickies at the top of the rimfire forum, Sticky: Grip Differences in the Standard/Mark Series. ( 1 2 3) and Sticky: Ruger Mark Series Lots of good info, there.

Yes, on the original series, if you want to be technically correct, fixed sight models were called Standards and only adjustable sight models were called Mark Is. Correct or not, a lot of folks just call the early version without a bolt stop/lever on the left side Mark Is and let it go at that. Can't blame them, because Ruger has been less than consistent over the years with how they've used these labels.

The good news is that, regardless of whether you have a Standard or Mark I, the grip housing is the same so you can use any grip you want. The plastic grips were supplied from the factory on the Standards, but Mark Is usually had walnut grips when shipped from the factory. You could order walnut grips for the Standard direct from Ruger, at the time, though, if you wanted them.

There are differences, however, between the early and late Standard/Mark Is as to the grip frame (see the Sticky). On that late a gun, you should have the A100 grip frame. You can check easily enough. If the magazine follower is on the left side of the magazine, you have the A100 grip frame.

Hopefully, this is what you'll have. Finding grips for the earlier A54 grip frame is tough because the bolt spacing is different than the later grips. The A100 grip frame has the same bolt spacing as all later Marks, so you can use Mark II or even Mark III grips, but on the Mark II, the left grip will have a cutout for the bolt stop lever that you won't need and the Mark IIIs will have an additional cutout for the magazine release that you won't need. You can either fill those in with wood epoxy or whatever. If you want to keep things all original, though, you'll want to get grips that are designed for the Mark I with the late grip frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. Very good information.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Mark I is the designation for the adjustable sight target models. Any fixed sight model is a "Standard" regardless of the generation series in which the pistol was created.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 5 of 5 Posts