Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It looks to be in great used condition. As for value, you could compare it with similar pistols on Gunbroker or the like. Clean, shoot, enjoy is my vote. Welcome Christopher!

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,334 Posts
Yup, I'd shoot it to! But, I'd watch a vid or two, or 99 before I disassembled it for cleaning. Actually they come apart real easy. Back together not so much! I got the MarkII, fabulous gun.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My step-dad left me this & i was wondering if It's something I should just leave it alone in this condition or go ahead & use it View attachment 150420
Welcome to a wonderful site. I'm not overly experienced w pistols but shot my buddy's Mark 1 last year. It was pure joy, very smooth.

Enjoy it. Very nice.

Reactions: jeepnut711

·
Registered
244 Posts
If that's been sitting unused for a long time, you should clean it. Unfortunately, cleaning these pistols involves steps that are unique to the Mark-series design and can be tricky until you've done it a few times.

One suggestion to make it easier is the All-in-one tool. Even if you don't buy the tool (not cheap), look at their videos on their site: Home - The Right Tool Company

The tool helps: it keeps you from marring the surfaces and once you figure out how to use the tool, it makes disassembly easier. For a few bucks more they also offer the tool plus a simple stand to hold the pistol.

Here's a review:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I beg to differ. Don't clean it yet. I would have a knowledgeable Ruger gunsmith examine it to see if it is unfired or very lightly used. Then I would either put it away for appreciation (by this I mean increasing in value) or sell it and buy a much nicer modern gun.....or maybe even 2 (if I am right on the value) that would be for shooting. The box and even ammo has collector value too, treat both well.

There are safe queens at my house. I also have old ammo displayed on my curio shelf.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Corndog has a good point, however, I just looked on an auction site and there are currently no bids on the four guns there. You can't get an accurate value if nobody is bidding. That said, it's likely worth around what a new MKIV would cost. So you gotta ask yourself: "What do I want to do?"

Definitely have it inspected. Definitely save the box, the manual, and that box of ammo. Me, I'd shoot it.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Welcome from California’s High Desert and to the Forum.

Answerers are found here. Enjoy shooting it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
Christopher joy, What you have is an early Ruger "Standard" with an A-54 grip frame, catalog number RST-4. It came with a 4 3/4" barrel, fixed sights, and one 9 round magazine. The shipping box was cardboard. There were 10's of thousands of A-54 RST-4s made so collector value is not that great. That said, when you find a 50+ year old gun in pristine condition like yours, it will be worth at least $500 (MSRP $39.95 when new). A shooter grade RST-4 is worth about $300 so if you think it is worth $200 to shoot it, it's your choice. The nifty red plastic box is aftermarket and there is an extra magazine. These 9 round chrome base magazines are hard to come by and go for at least $50. Congratulations, you have a very nice example of an early production Ruger!

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Christopher joy, What you have is an early Ruger "Standard" with an A-54 grip frame, catalog number RST-4. It came with a 4 3/4" barrel, fixed sights, and one 9 round magazine. The shipping box was cardboard. There were 10's of thousands of A-54 RST-4s made so collector value is not that great. That said, when you find a 50+ year old gun in pristine condition like yours, it will be worth at least $500 (MSRP $39.95 when new). A shooter grade RST-4 is worth about $300 so if you think it is worth $200 to shoot it, it's your choice. The nifty red plastic box is aftermarket and there is an extra magazine. These 9 round chrome base magazines are hard to come by and go for at least $50. Congratulations, you have a very nice example of an early production Ruger!
Iowegan ... the "nifty red box" that you refer to as aftermarket, was it something made specific for the Ruger Standard? The box seems to fit it like a glove ...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
rmichael, No doubt, the nifty red box was specifically made for a Ruger RST-4 but it doesn't change the fact that RST-4s were shipped from the factory in cardboard boxes. An interesting note .... Ruger ran out of boxes for RST-4s for a short time so they used Light Weight Single-Six boxes with paper glued on to cover the Single-Six markings. These unique cardboard boxes are quite valuable, bringing up to $200 in like new condition.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
First, welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your time here!
Second, Congrats on the acquisition of a very fine, older Ruger firearm!
I say 'Shoot it' and enjoy it!

Reactions: Jack Ruger

·
Registered
525 Posts
Very nice! Theres no way I could have a gun I the house and not take it to the range.
Sorta like owning a car you don't drive. That's what they're for. Take care of them? Yes, but use them.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Welcome to the forum and agree with shooting it. Those old Standards just keep plugging along and are accurate.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I second what Lowegan said, the condition, age and extras of the one you have will hold or increase in value as is. However if you want to shoot it, shoot it, I myself would pick up a more recent vintage to shoot for a decent price and let that one hold it's value (Bill Ruger would roll in his grave at this advise), either way nice pistol, enjoy to your choice.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Seeing that gun reminded me about something that happened 30 plus years ago. I was in high school, and ended up hanging with a couple of buddies at one of their friends house. I always thought he was a bit of a sissy. Well, I listened to him talk about his deceased father and how only thing he had of his dad's was an old 22 "Luger" that didn't work. I asked to see it. It was a standard ruger mark 1. It was not assembled correctly. And I had a few minutes struggle with it, finally got it disassembled, being no internet to google, I just took my time. Anyways, I handed my new friend a working pistol. He had tears in his eyes while thanking me. I shoulda thanked him, I never prejudged anyone again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts