Ruger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
Wonder what your FIL had it for? Your MIL may be able to shed some light on it. If he actually did shoot it but took really good care of it or if it sat in a drawer as a home defense pistol. Be an interesting story to hear.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The way I look at it: they are not making any more of those. That is in amazing condition.
Why shoot an old model that is nothing but a plinker? Buy a new model that is more accurate and easily replaced, they are not expensive.
It may never be worth a fortune but maybe in your son's lifetime some museum might want one, who knows? Kidding about the museum but by the time my son is my age I bet some of my guns will be reallllly rare.

I would keep it as a collector gun. Just cool to own and to remember your step-dad.
Keep the Sears ammo with it too, and unload that magazine.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I found a old standard in a pawn shop for about 150 I think it was. I checked and it was made in 1952.but works perfectly. Just wish I coiuld find a second mag for it, or two would be great.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Christopher, welcome to the forum...good info above and I agree with 'Iowegan' as to just what it is,,,as for the mags at least one appears to be the later A-100 ( double slot) AND I would remove the rounds of ammo from the one magazine, save the spring..who knows how long its been "loaded" as for cleaning, not an issue , I know many people who have NEVER taken apart their old Ruger 22's from the 1950-54 period....simply unload it and soak it in kerosene at least over night (AFTER the grips are removed) can blow it off with an air hose, ,swab out the barrel, and lightly oil, if YOU feel uncomfortable and not a good user of hand tools ala screwdrivers, let someone else do it or take it to a GOOD gunsmith,,,,same goes for the operation have someone who KNOWS "how" to use , handle, maybe even take it apart for you, actually show YOU "How to", hands on, not a video or movie clip......seen more damage to firearms by folks who try and do it like the video shows and they DON'T.....seen hundreds of thousands of gun screw holes and slots damaged by an "oops".......FUBAR

Good luck, you got a classic there , a keeper and truly a family heirloom,,,,Yes, Mr Ruger often told ME, and others we met and had meetings with , the gun was MADE to use, fire, enjoy....take care of it..........

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I found a old standard in a pawn shop for about 150 I think it was. I checked and it was made in 1952.but works perfectly. Just wish I coiuld find a second mag for it, or two would be great.
mags for the later standards and MkII will work in your old standard - you just need to switch the button to the other side of the mag

21 - 26 of 26 Posts