Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to revolvers. In reading about custom revolvers I keep coming across the same terms. What do these mean in plain english and what would the advantage of having each done be? Thanks.
1) complete action tuning(9, 10, or 11# )
2) crown barrel
3) recontour & polish trigger
4) eliminate cylinder endshake
5) polish all plungers and pins
6) bob hammer
I'm sure this is pretty basic to you guys, but I'd appreciate any guidance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here are my non-expert opinions.
1. Smoothing of contact parts mostly but also changing spring tension, and may include cylinder/bore alignment. worth it? yes on a rough gun but most of us just shoot our guns smooth or change springs ourselves
2. Re-crowning (smoothing end of muzzle) is only necessary if you have dings on the muzzle that may affect bullet flight upon barrel exit
3. Changing the shape of the trigger to fit your finger more comfortably, polishing for smoothness of feel
4. Endshake is the amount of movement of the cylinder on the base pin front to back. There will always be a couple of thousandths but too much will cause excellerated wear and worsen the problem. Helps with accuracy by tightening tolerances.
5. Polishing any pins that either go in and out of holes or support parts that rotate, such as the hammer, will reduce drag and improve the feel and lighten the action.
6. Bob the hammer usually is done on small concealed carry type revolvers to avoid snagging clothing. The hammer spur is cut off.

If I was having other custom gun work done I would spring for the action job and make sure it includes #s 4 and 5. #6 is for concealed carry only in my opinion unless you like that look and #2 I would only have done if I had accuracy problems.

I hope that helps, if Iowegan sees this he can give you the expert version.[8D]

·
Registered
154 Posts
You cant beat people who know there stuff and arent afraid to share it for free. Thanks shdwrdr!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Keep asking those questions, Checkmate. One day it will be you who answers them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts