Ruger Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well the main thing that is attractive to me is it’s in original configuration and not upgraded. I believe this is the first one I’ve seen without being upgraded!

I absolutely love a 4 clicker and hate a transfer bar setup!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I guess that I am the lone 'naysayer' of the crowd. If the caliber started with a "4" I would be doing a lot of soul searching as to whether the price might be a little high (probably not in the current market) and the temptation to buy would be great but I am just not a big fan of .357.

Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you can afford it and want it, buy it.
They aren't making them like that anymore.
I have several three screw Blackhawks in various calibers and just put one in .357Magnum on layaway a couple of weeks ago. Don't need it but the price was very good($375) and I would hate to see it end up being converted by somebody who didn't know better. My son will inherit it and he knows full well that unconverted three screws are considerably more valuable than New Models and an order of magnitude cooler.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If that revolver was on my want list, I would be buying it immediately. You just aren't going to find another one in that condition, or any condition, very often. Now, if you are buying it only to turn around and sell it and make money on it, then that might be a different thing.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,264 Posts
RENE is an excellent resource for collectors in everything but "value", which Is way behind current values. Think about this ..... which would you rather have? A brand new gun with no character or an Old Model in excellent condition that will continue to appreciate? MSRP for a new blued 357 Blackhawk is $829 and it comes with cheap plastic grips. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, dang. I was hoping to come here today and see that you went back and got it.

In the end, you have to decide what’s best for you. You’ll get ‘em next time. ;)
I got way too many irons in the fire. If I hadn't bought so many guns lately I for sure would have grabbed it. It was painful to pass.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Lay-a-way is your friend. You're allowed to change your mind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently picked up one very similar,only has the 4 5/8' bbl. in exc. condition.Guy wanted $675.firm. I offered 600.He refused,so i started to walk.Got about 4 steps.He took the 600.I am now very happy that he did.I have fallen in love.Wouldn,t sell it for 800.Something about those old 3 screws.GO BUY IT!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Is the price out of line?
Late to the conversation... I'm not sure if you've already "pulled the trigger" but here's my 2c.

It's not a crazy bargain, but it's on the lower side of current prices. These are not super rare (even minty ones). That means, it's ok to buy it now, AND if you decide to pass on it, you can probably find another good deal down the road. Value is relative to your own priorities.

Do you own a Blackhawk yet? Most any Blackhawk is a great gun and fun to shoot, and durable as heck. Any of them can eat whatever loads you feed them. I have a 4.75" stainless 50th anniversary 357 on the XR3 frame - it's dead accurate fits my smaller hands perfectly. It's my favorite handgun.

The one you're eyeing is the XR3-RED large frame - if you have hands on the larger side, you'll like the feel of it and the reduced recoil of the larger frame. How or whether it balances in your hand is an individual thing. If that's the 6.5 inch barrel (or even if it's 5.5) of course that will help with both velocity and accuracy (sight radius) over the standard 4.75 barrel.

As others have said, make sure there's no problems with it, and if you get it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked one up in similar condition four years ago with both cylinders. It was list locally on Armslist and I got it for $500.00. I thought that was high/fair price wise, then so yours doesn’t seen out of line to me. Buy it, enjoy it!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts