Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, new at this 9mm thing. I bought some target rounds today and then noticed they said 'Luger' on them. Is that not what I want?

And while I'm at it, what does 'Parabellum' or whatever it is mean?

Bottom line: Is there 9mm ammo that I can't use in my SR9?

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
9 mm Parabellum (9X19) was developed by Georg Luger hence it's AKA 9 mm Luger.

Parabellum is short for Latin "Si vis pacem, para bellum" that translates loosely into "if you seek peace you'd better be prepared for war"

In the end, just shoot what you got ;)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
9mm luger
9mm parabellium
9x19
are all different names for the same round. I believe that parabellum means--"prepare for war" or something to that affect.

There are 9mm rounds to avoid that will not work such as the
9mm kurtz (.380)
9mm makarov
9mm largo
and a few others---different animals from the 9mm luger.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! If parabellum means prepare for war, one thing for sure, I'm more 'parabellumed' with my SR9 than I was before!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Parabellum "was the telegraphic address of Deutsche Waffen & Munitionsfabrik of Berlin" (The Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia of the World's Firearms, Ian V. Hogg, p252). This was the company which employed Georg Luger ca. early 20th century.

·
Registered
288 Posts
9 mm Parabellum (9X19) was developed by Georg Luger hence it's AKA 9 mm Luger.

Parabellum is short for Latin "Si vis pacem, para bellum" that translates loosely into "if you seek peace you'd better be prepared for war"

In the end, just shoot what you got ;)
I thought parabellum had something to do with the somewhat parabolic shape/ogive of 9mm FMJ...........WRONG!!!!! Now I know the RIGHT answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts