Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P94 in 40 S&W and can find very few faults with it as it is accurate and totally reliable. The only issue I have is the direction of travel of the safety/decock lever-up to take it off safe. The natural direction to me is the same as the 1911 up on safe and down off safe. It seems easier to swipe the safety down with the thumb than up. I know you don't need the safety on as it's double action but if it's there I'll use it. It really isn't much of an issue but I though I would post this to give others the opportunity to present their opinions and issues.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have the same issue with the P89. I don't use the saftey for that reason. I chamber a round, decock the hammer with the saftey, and then take the saftey back off.

The only other issue with the P89 is the factory grip pannels are slippery. I put a set of Houges on them, and it made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Still considering a different sight option----but thats me failing, not the weapon................;)

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Calvin is there much of a difference in the grip pannels in the P Series (other than size)?
Main difference is thickness of the grip. The P97 has a thinner grip, where the P90 is thicker. The Aluminum framed ones can have different panels put on them that feel different. There is quite a bit of difference in the feel of the different ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 with FiveFold.

I go through way too much ammo. I was able to stock up about 300 rounds over the winter season but I just know when the nice weather comes back, it'll be gone in no time!

I do have another problem though. The guide rod on my P90 seems a bit rough. I lube it and the spring every time I shoot it but the damage is already done. I'm not sure if it's the spring messing it up or the slide digging into it. I want to take some sand paper to it and cleen it up a bit but I would hate to mess it up even more. Even with the messed up guide rod, it still shoots just fine. Should I just leave good enough alone? or should I try to clean it up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a p95. i love it and i would love it even more if it were smaller.

my perfect gun would be a p95 compact... say about 6.25 inches long and 4.8 inches tall...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love the company behind my Ruger SR9.
I had some issues with it when it was new. That can be expected from something that new. They treated me very well and were prompt, knowledgeable and courteous at all times. It's a pleasure to own one of their fine pieces of work. I will own more.

·
Super Moderator
21,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To tell the truth I didn't expect much of a negative response due to the title of the Forum but I thought it would be fun to hear what we would have done different if we had helped to design them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's a Ruger! What's not to like;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
All are great shooters. The old style P95 grips are kind of a joke, especially when a little warm. The new style textured grips are better , but not great.
All a little heavy for carry after being used to compacts & polymer, but the SR9 will take care of that some day.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I love my Rugers above all of my other firearm's, but;

1. The 22/45 should have been designed with 1911 grip panels in the first place.
2. The new SR series isn't available in .45 yet.
3. The "lawyer features" - in general are kinda silly.

Those are my "big" gripes. Everyhting else I think I have learned to live with.

JJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
My one gripe with my P345 is the lack of aftermarket support (i.e. magazines, sight options, crimson trace grips, etc.) It seems as though the other Ruger pistols have better support. I LOVE everything else about the gun!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Terry, I agree the up and down controls seem backward. My Kimber has it done in the traditional manner. I would do like Johngoboom and after decocking, I'd click off the safety. This is when you are taking your time and concentrating. So later when you need the gun in a hurry it is just squeeze the trigger and let the double action be your safety. You just need to get used to the double action being all that is required for safety. DA revolvers have no safety and no problems needing one.

Mightybig, I'm not a gunsmith but I believe you are safe to sand with 400 sandpaper lightly back and forth lengthwise of the guide rod and then finish up with 600 sandpaper, clean and lightly lube. If the scars are shallow you can remove them but if they are deep you can smooth them some and it will be better than prior to your work. Don't sand around the rod as this is not how it moves in the gun. I believe that return spring has a larger diameter hole on one end. This larger end goes into the frame and the smaller end will tend to scrape the rod as it slides on. If it is ever assembled backwards and you move the slide, a deep scar can occur on the aluminum rod. Easy to do as they look the same size.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts