Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by a few other threads, I really started to think about CC. I carry my LCR 357in a Sourdough pancake at 4 o'clock. I have committed to practicing my draw with snap caps in the basement at least a few times a week.

Along with the LCR, I carry a small folding Kershaw pocket knife.

As I was researching CC I have run across some other ideas. Do any of you carry a small Kubaton or similar device? I was wondering if they are worth getting familiar with? It seems they might be worth something especially in a close up encounter when you would be trying to create some space between you and a bad guy.

One thread I was reading involved a guy who just happened to grab his wife's Kubaton/pepper spray combo to run outside and take the garbage out or something. He came upon a guy urinating in his yard. He told the guy to back off, and the drunk became upset and wanted to fight. 3 shots of pepper spray ended the encounter enough so the drunk lost interest. I always grab my LCR and shove it in my pocket when going out at night. Maybe that drunk wouldn't have been so lucky if that was me with an LCR in the pocket?

I never have considered pepper spray, but in combination with a Kubaton, knife, and last resort of the LCR might be something to consider for all around defense.

Any thoughts or experience?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
pocket knife and a clear conscience.
faith.
hope.
love. patience. tolerance.
the satisfaction that comes with seeing my children and grandchildren do well.
memories of parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and so many friends, long gone.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
My truck keys, wallet with spare truck key, and about 80 pounds of extra weight.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
In addition to my S&W 642 I carry a Kershaw Auto while in NH and outside NH I carry a Kershaw 1660 leek or a Buck 112 on the belt.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Our potential attackers all have four legs, up, here, so I most often carry a 357 mag and, sometimes, bear spray. I suspect both would work on a two-legged attacker, as well. :)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Cell phone.

I always want to be the first person to call 911 if I ever have to shoot - or even display - my weapon. If you're the first to call, you get to frame the situation for the police. If you have to ask a bystander to call, what you'll probably get is "Some dude just shot another dude.", in which case you'll spend the next month or more trying to convince the DA that you were the victim.

IF you have to shoot (or even just draw and display your gun), immediately call 911 and tell them "Somebody just tried to rob/assault/kill me and I shot them (or pulled out my gun)." That establishes you as the victim and any subsequent calls will be seen with that in mind.

I should emphasize that even if you don't shoot, but manage to scare off your attacker, you should call the police (unless you're in a very gun-hostile jurisdiction). A few years ago, a fellow in Portland scared off an attacker by drawing and displaying a gun. The attacker was angry about being threatened, so he called 911 and told the operator that "some guy" had threatened him with a gun. The police found and arrested the victim, who then spent over a month clearing his name. The would-be attacker was never charged with anything.

Jim

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
EDC...Glock 36 in .45 acp!
Knife...Smith & Wesson Tactical with a Tanto Blade.
Light...LED with adjustable beam.
Cell Phone...one that's not as smart as it am!
Keys to my vehicle(s)!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Cell phone.

I always want to be the first person to call 911 if I ever have to shoot - or even display - my weapon. If you're the first to call, you get to frame the situation for the police. If you have to ask a bystander to call, what you'll probably get is "Some dude just shot another dude.", in which case you'll spend the next month or more trying to convince the DA that you were the victim.

IF you have to shoot (or even just draw and display your gun), immediately call 911 and tell them "Somebody just tried to rob/assault/kill me and I shot them (or pulled out my gun)." That establishes you as the victim and any subsequent calls will be seen with that in mind.

I should emphasize that even if you don't shoot, but manage to scare off your attacker, you should call the police (unless you're in a very gun-hostile jurisdiction). A few years ago, a fellow in Portland scared off an attacker by drawing and displaying a gun. The attacker was angry about being threatened, so he called 911 and told the operator that "some guy" had threatened him with a gun. The police found and arrested the victim, who then spent over a month clearing his name. The would-be attacker was never charged with anything.

Jim
Jim...these are great points because Law Enforcement will respond to the first caller and their statement!

We went through a situation a little over a year ago where my wife was the 9-1-1 caller (on an 'outside' situation) and when the person whom the 9-1-1 call was on tried to file a complaint...the original 9-1-1 call gave weight to my wife's explanation of the situation! It was regarding the safety of a child...so the police, CPS, and the prosecutor's office were all involved...my wife's 9-1-1 call carried weight as the call was recorded as she witnessed the events were on-going as she was on the line with dispatch...she was able to give a play-by-play as the events unfolded...and one cannot lie on the tape very easily during those types of calls.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim...these are great points because Law Enforcement will respond to the first caller and their statement!

We went through a situation a little over a year ago where my wife was the 9-1-1 caller (on an 'outside' situation) and when the person whom the 9-1-1 call was on tried to file a complaint...the original 9-1-1 call gave weight to my wife's explanation of the situation! It was regarding the safety of a child...so the police, CPS, and the prosecutor's office were all involved...my wife's 9-1-1 call carried weight as the call was recorded as she witnessed the events were on-going as she was on the line with dispatch...she was able to give a play-by-play as the events unfolded...and one cannot lie on the tape very easily during those types of calls.

It's pretty much human nature to give more credence to the first person to report an incident, everything else being equal. If I'm ever in a shooting incident, I want to be sure that my story is the first in line.

Also, it is important, when you make that 911 call, that you tell the story in the proper order, since the dispatcher will put more weight on what you say first. For example, if you say "I just shot somebody who was attacking me.", what will got out on the air is "Report of a shooting.", and you'll be the suspect. If, on the other hand, you say "I was attacked by somebody and shot them.", it will go out as "Report of an assault with shots fired." and you'll be the victim.

Jim

Reactions: brianinpa

·
Registered
740 Posts
Besides the P238(most of the time) or P239 (winters). I carry a 3 to 4inch locking folder, a Leatherman SideClip, a small flashlight. a spare mag, car and house keys, cellphone, and a wallet.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.