Ruger Forum banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Read Only
28 Posts
It was 1996 when CCW licenses became available in Kentucky.
When I took the classes in 1996 and then shot the qualifier, I used my Charter Arms .38 -2" snubby and put all 20 rounds in roughly a 5" group.
Why? -I wanted the challenge. Some of the attendees used target guns and still didn't even hit the target with all 20.
-steve

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
I used my Charter Arms .38 -2" snubby and put all 20 rounds in roughly a 5" group.
Why? -I wanted the challenge. Some of the attendees used target guns and still didn't even hit the target with all 20.
That's the difference between a shooter and a non shooter. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used my S&W 686.
The instructor asked how many of the hopeful were shooting revolvers, I was the only one.
He said, "Well we are going to have to wait on the revolver shooter."

I replied "Not today."

I had 5 speed loaders with 5 loaded and ready.

WR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Believe it or not, I used a S&W Model 19 snubbie. I did load it, however, with 38 Specials instead of full-power 357`s. I did want to pass the shooting portion after all :D

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Believe it or not, I used a S&W Model 19 snubbie. I did load it, however, with 38 Specials instead of full-power 357`s. I did want to pass the shooting portion after all :D
The S&W Mode 19 snubbie had a 2 & 1/2" barrel, and was a real sweetheart. Wish I still had mine. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my state, you are required to fire a minimum of 99 rds. to qualify (if I remember right, weird number of rounds that only a politician could come up with!). Since I'm a bit of a cheapskate, I shot a Ruger MkIV Target with Federal .22lr ammo, much cheaper to use than burning through a 100 rds. of .45 ACP brass. I train with Win. 230gr FMJ and carry Win. 230gr JHP.

·
Sky Marshal
185 Posts
I got a chuckle out of some folks talking about shooting the center out of the target to qualify. Here's why:
To qualify in Illinois, you have to shoot at a B27 large silhouette target with 10 shots (30 total) at 5, 7, and 10 yards. By law, they have to count 21 holes in the blue silhouette to pass. That's 21 individual separate complete holes. If two bullets leave holes that touch and leave a figure 8, that's one hole. If you shoot a cloverleaf with 4 bullets, that's one hole.
The instructors repeatedly told us to make sure, especially at close range, you shoot at different points on the target from the 5 & 7 yard line and spread the holes out a little.
They relayed the story of a guy who was an excellent marksman and always wanted to make sure everyone knew it, but he wasn't so good at listening and taking direction.
You guessed it, he chewed the center out of the target with one big hole in the center and a number of holes around that. He failed and had to retake the test.

Only in Illinois!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Qualified with my brother's full size M&P .40. Thought I liked .40, so went and bought my first handgun as my carry gun - .40 Shield. After having it for a couple of years, I realized I didn't like shooting it at the range. It got stolen, so at least it made the decision to replace it with a 9mm a little simpler...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Used a Ruger SR 40, AZ requires hitting a bull at 25 ft 7 out 0f 10 times. I got 9. it was my first time firing it having just moved from NJ, went right side high off the bull, just wasn't used to the trigger. 2011.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know if I posted on this subject before or not. Don't remember it but...I used a Hi-Power. First year or two after Tn started having CCW permits in the nineties.
Fired from prone behind barricades behind posts on stomach and so on. Sorta like we did in the Army.
Fixed Sights not worth a nickel aimed for center of sillouet heart area and shot off the genitals. After that shot by pointing or instinct shooting.50 or 100 rounds with magazine changes, I have forgotten exactly.
I couldn't do that again.
I still have that Hi-Power and it still shoots tight groups by point shooting/instinct shooting or whatever it is called these days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We took the class/shooting session from a NRA instructor assisted by an ex officer. We had to shot 100 rounds and I swear the first 20 were one at a time. Load 1 bullet, shoot then receive more instruction. At first I thought that it was a waste of time but after looking up and down the line I realized that no, it wasn't a waste because some of these people had never shot before. My wife and I were using a Taruas 709 and G2 respectfully that we'd been shooting with for over a year and after 50 rounds the officer told us we were good. We backed off the line with one other guy who'd been using a Ruger Redhawk and watched the othe 27 people try to qualify. I don't think I exaggerating when I say that poor NRA instructor had never seen so many people who couldn't shoot all at once. I wish I'd brought popcorn and if I'd been playing a drink game where I took shot everytime I heard "take your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot" I'd have died of alcohol poisoning. The last guy of the line had 10 rounds to qualify or they told him he'd have to come back. He had missed the target completely more than he hit it. He finally got it and hit in the 8 and 9 ring all 10 times.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
First time CCW permit renewal

My two-year permit expired earlier this month and it was the perfect time to update the list of firearms to appear on my license - MAX of 3–which is something alien to those of you residents of free states.
I kept my reliable SR9C.
I removed the compact 1911-45ACP. The lack of ambidextrous controls discouraged me from carrying it.
I added a Springfield Armory XD subcompact 9mm. Shooting next to me at the range was a gentleman with two compact Glocks and at first glance, I thought we both had SAs.
On my next renewal, I might add a third gun and it could be my first Glock.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did my state's enhanced carry class a few weeks ago and used my Glock 22. Everyone else used a .22LR. In my state, if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver, but if you qualify with an auto you can carry any legal handgun.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The ONLY weapon I ever actually "qualified" officially on was an M16.

Pop up targets to 400 meters. I shot 40 out of 40. Several times.
Same with me except 50 yards with stationary targets. My retired military ID allows for purchasing In my State.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The M16. They hurried us though AIT. We were wanted in Nam. At Ft Eustis we qualified with the M16. Previously at Ft Campbell we qualified with the M14.
First exposure to the gun and and didn't know what the sights were like.
using the small peep hole at 100 yard not meters, large sillouttes raised up from behind a berm. All three shots were in one ragged hole. The first shot in the head the second big dot almost covered the first and the third I thought I must have missed entirely until the big dot fell off. We were allowed to retrieve our targets if we wanted them. I may still have that target somewhere. I wore glasses but still young eyes. I doubt, I know, I couldn't do that today. A life time of shooting a.22, carrying it all around the area and the woods from the age of about six gave plenty of practice. My Younger brother an I shot spent .22 cases and pennies form what he says was about 60 yards with the iron sights on that Springfield.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In my county, you have to qualify with every gun you wish to carry. I had to shoot three weapons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I "qualified" by nature of my status as a natural born citizen of the United States. We have Constitutional carry here in the free state of Idaho.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just did this in my new home state of Nevada, used my GP-100 that I acquired back in 1994. Turned in the application to the Sheriff's office this AM.

Now the wait.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts