Ruger Forum banner

241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmmph...listen to this:
In simple reply for this thread, i'll say that i carry one of two guns; Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm or a Ruger LCR DOA .38spl ... read further if you would like to see what we go thru in CA.

in CA ... by county...you have to qualify w/ the guns you carry. Not a bad idea, but it's only been instituted that way to **** with the citizens...so it IS a bad idea.
Anyway...then
depending on your county, you can qualify x number of guns; the s/n's go on the permit. You have to re-qualify every *2* years; the qual classes are actually good; taught by excellent people, most of whom still think this is overkill and draconian bull****...and this is all
assuming you live in a 'free' county; one w/a Shall Issue Sheriff...tho they are all supposed to follow the same rules/laws, they don't.

This is all designed to keep mere citizens from the ranks of CCW (not a conspiracy theory; simple fact of Democrat rule/control) but it really hasn't worked out well for Sacramento; Sacramento county actually got rid of a criminal sheriff a few (?) years ago and CCW ranks have been climbing steadily in that county. I, personally live in the smallest county in CA (Amador); we live in the Sierra Nevada mountains, about 1/2 mi off pavement. I used to qualify 4 guns each time (max allowed on my county permit)...but got tired of the hassle; dropped to 2...
See, govt control at work...
Think about this before you complain about your local laws (of course, there are Worse places to shoot) !?!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have CCW permits/licenses in four states, only Nevada actually made you shoot a "Qualification" course. I believe it was 30 rounds at varying distances and you had to get 70%. I used a Springfield XDM9 5.25. Oddly you did not have to draw from a concealed condition. I suppose safety was the reason
That is almost the same thing I had to do in Texas. I used my Ruger Security 9. == I just remembered a comment by my instructor. "If you cut your hand which shooting, that is OK. If it drips on the floor, it is an automatic Fail". :)

·
Forlorn Hope
747 Posts
Can I ask? The only time I had to 'Qualify' with any weapons, was when I got my armed security license, and even then it was just 'Pistol' (I used my SP101), 'Rifle' (I used an HK 94 I borrowed), and 'Shotgun' (unknown 12 gauge Pump). Neither in Connecticut (many years ago), nor in New Hampshire (back when you needed a permit), was there a requirement of either classes or qualifying with a weapon for a CCL.

The way everyone is answering this question, is this just 'normal' now?

Back in 2014 when I last got a permit (first and last time in NH), I sat down with the Police Chief (who sold me my LC9s Pro) and filled out a single page form, payed him $10 or $15 and went home with a paper permit. I know he had run a background check back when I got the gun, but all this stuff I am reading is just so outside of my experience.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In MN, and forgive me if I’m wrong, it’s been five years since my last renew, you fire a couple of mags at an untimed pace, at seven yards, with a reload. I think you do that twice, and then one mag, timed, but it’s a crazy amount of time. And no reload??? I don’t remember, other than it hardly seemed like a qualifying of anything.

I used either a Glock 22 or 23, each of the three times I have done it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here you qualify with whatever you like, however it restricts you to that caliber or lower. So the best is to qualify with the biggest you can. So my wife and I qualified for pistol and revolver with my Colt 1991 and my Blackhawk 45 convertible. It made it easier as well to be able to use one type of ammo for both, 45 ACP.

·
Registered
818 Posts
First time in AZ was my Colt 1911 Combat Government Model 70 series. Second time was my 1916 DWM Luger. Now just send them money no classes required. Don't need one here now but it is nice when purchasing a firearm with no background check.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
4yr old thread but I’ll play, M16A1. If you posses a DD214 you’re qualified in the Gunshine State.

Reactions: Foundation Horse

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
4yr old thread but I’ll play, M16A1. If you posses a DD214 you’re qualified in the Gunshine State.
Age is only a number, but the question is still relevant. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
The wife wanted to get her CHL and signed up for a class.
I was scheduled to work that day so I would not be going to the class.
Well things changed and I got the day off and she went to the class.
She called and said they had a spot open in the class if I wanted to attend.
OK, why not.
Problem was at that time all I had was revolvers and Texas only allowed you to carry what you qualified with.
Instructor said no problem he has a few loaners he could let us use.
Qualified with a Glock 17 I think.
Held it like a revolver and got bit.
Shortly after that we went out and we both got the Ruger SR9c.
Hers has the stainless steel slide, mine is all black.

241 - 260 of 261 Posts