Ruger Forum banner

241 - 249 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmmph...listen to this:
In simple reply for this thread, i'll say that i carry one of two guns; Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm or a Ruger LCR DOA .38spl ... read further if you would like to see what we go thru in CA.

in CA ... by county...you have to qualify w/ the guns you carry. Not a bad idea, but it's only been instituted that way to **** with the citizens...so it IS a bad idea.
Anyway...then
depending on your county, you can qualify x number of guns; the s/n's go on the permit. You have to re-qualify every *2* years; the qual classes are actually good; taught by excellent people, most of whom still think this is overkill and draconian bull****...and this is all
assuming you live in a 'free' county; one w/a Shall Issue Sheriff...tho they are all supposed to follow the same rules/laws, they don't.

This is all designed to keep mere citizens from the ranks of CCW (not a conspiracy theory; simple fact of Democrat rule/control) but it really hasn't worked out well for Sacramento; Sacramento county actually got rid of a criminal sheriff a few (?) years ago and CCW ranks have been climbing steadily in that county. I, personally live in the smallest county in CA (Amador); we live in the Sierra Nevada mountains, about 1/2 mi off pavement. I used to qualify 4 guns each time (max allowed on my county permit)...but got tired of the hassle; dropped to 2...
See, govt control at work...
Think about this before you complain about your local laws (of course, there are Worse places to shoot) !?!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have CCW permits/licenses in four states, only Nevada actually made you shoot a "Qualification" course. I believe it was 30 rounds at varying distances and you had to get 70%. I used a Springfield XDM9 5.25. Oddly you did not have to draw from a concealed condition. I suppose safety was the reason
That is almost the same thing I had to do in Texas. I used my Ruger Security 9. == I just remembered a comment by my instructor. "If you cut your hand which shooting, that is OK. If it drips on the floor, it is an automatic Fail". :)

·
Forlorn Hope
493 Posts
Can I ask? The only time I had to 'Qualify' with any weapons, was when I got my armed security license, and even then it was just 'Pistol' (I used my SP101), 'Rifle' (I used an HK 94 I borrowed), and 'Shotgun' (unknown 12 gauge Pump). Neither in Connecticut (many years ago), nor in New Hampshire (back when you needed a permit), was there a requirement of either classes or qualifying with a weapon for a CCL.

The way everyone is answering this question, is this just 'normal' now?

Back in 2014 when I last got a permit (first and last time in NH), I sat down with the Police Chief (who sold me my LC9s Pro) and filled out a single page form, payed him $10 or $15 and went home with a paper permit. I know he had run a background check back when I got the gun, but all this stuff I am reading is just so outside of my experience.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In MN, and forgive me if I’m wrong, it’s been five years since my last renew, you fire a couple of mags at an untimed pace, at seven yards, with a reload. I think you do that twice, and then one mag, timed, but it’s a crazy amount of time. And no reload??? I don’t remember, other than it hardly seemed like a qualifying of anything.

I used either a Glock 22 or 23, each of the three times I have done it.

241 - 249 of 249 Posts