Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often see threads asking what to carry in bear country but what about gator country? Or is it just better to get good running shoes? :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you are Troy Landry - .22LR (small brains ~ the Gator I mean)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Don't linger near the edge lines, and pay attention to what's around you in the swamp grass. They're ambush predators, not pursuit predators.

They're also not very difficult to kill. Most hunted/fished gators are killed with 22LR's. A .357mag is plenty of gator medicine, but I'd probably carry a 45acp or 44mag. Just who I am.

A couple buddies and I earned a contract to kill gators in the late 1990's, we used 223rem and x39 across the water as far as 200-300yrds. Well hit, it's a quick KO.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Head shot the best medicine? I was just thinking today as I saw a pic of a 15 footer if my LCP would be worthless.

I'm not really anticipating a need but I am moving to Florida this year.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Head shot the best medicine? I was just thinking today as I saw a pic of a 15 footer if my LCP would be worthless.

I'm not really anticipating a need but I am moving to Florida this year.
Mama always taught us kids not to play with the lizards.

Unless you go looking for a lizard, the lizard usually won't come looking for you. But, like sheeple, not all lizards are equal.

Oh, can't forget, taste like chicken...:D

Anything from a .22LR and up will usually dispatch a lizard rather quickly. You might be more concerned about the hogs thou...

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
You might be more concerned about the hogs thou...
Thats me. I wont go "under gunned".

Like they say,, " Its better to have it and not need it, than need it sand not have it. "

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is why I live in Michigan. Here there's no fear of walking in the marshes. Not much to worry about other than getting water in your boots. You guys down south can have the gators and water moccasins.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gators are the least of my worries in FL swamps I hunt. I kick them off my trails and flush them out fairly often. So long as a gator has not been fed by humans they are very leary. Hogs, and Snakes are much bigger concern. BTW you are going to have some serious explaining to do if you kill an alligator here in Florida without a permit. Not saying you will not be cleared, but poaching is a serious matter with all of the fwc officers I have run into and talk to regularly.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Florida - land of venomous snakes, gators, panthers, bears, and of course mosquitoes. I'll take my chances around those critters over the urban critters any day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're much of an outdoorsman you'll love FL. As a few have mentioned snakes are my #1 concern when I hit the brush and swamp bottoms. Which isn't to say that I don't have a healthy fear of gators. Regardless, if your firearm will handle a gator of any size it can also handle a moccasin. I'm a GA/FL native, and live between the Okeefenokee swamp and the coast right on the state line. If you're use to IL, the heat and bugs will likely be the biggest shock (my in-laws moved here from beautiful Montana - it took some adjustment). Anyhow, I wish you safe travels, a smooth transition, and a warm welcome.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. I'm moving to the Sebastian area so probably not as terribly hot as further south. I got married (2004) in Cancun in June so I know what heat is. I've had enough of snow and cold, I'd much rather have the heat, that's what swimming pools are for.

I used to golf in Georgia every spring so I'm no stranger to gators, snakes or bobcats. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got my fill of moccasins many years ago stomping and wading through the swamps at Ft Benning. We used to get a case of beer, sit on the bank of the Chattahoochee and try our hand shooting the heads off moccasins swimming out in the river with a cheap Marlin mod 60 .22 rifle. Great fun for an 18 yr old. These days I want nothing to do with snakes of any kind.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks all. I'm moving to the Sebastian area so probably not as terribly hot as further south. I got married (2004) in Cancun in June so I know what heat is. I've had enough of snow and cold, I'd much rather have the heat, that's what swimming pools are for.

I used to golf in Georgia every spring so I'm no stranger to gators, snakes or bobcats. :D
You my friend, are headed into hog and moccasin country if you venture into St. Sebastian state park....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stopped at the state park our last trip down there in February. Nice beach there. No real experience with hogs. Aren't they more skittish than aggressive?

·
Registered
856 Posts
B-A-Z-O-O-K-A!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stopped at the state park our last trip down there in February. Nice beach there. No real experience with hogs. Aren't they more skittish than aggressive?
Hogs have different natures. One day I'll push a pile of them the next I'll beskinnying up a tree. I learned pretty young how to j-hook a tree to get away from a charging boar.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
As mentioned........hogs are VERY unpredictable. They MAY run, they may run AT you.......never know.

As far as snakes, yeah you can hit one with a pistol, but that will be tough with it swimming toward you. Need a shot round for snakes

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I lived in Florida for a good number of years. Yeah the 22lr is used for hunting them but take into consideration that's a scenario where the gator has already been snagged and on the line. Shot placement takes it down quick but I have heard incidents where a gator skull was so thick it deflected 45acp shots.

If you're walking through swampland or taking a hike through the Everglades then take the biggest caliber you can handle. They've been known to quietly stalk up on people fishing too. They can be unpredictable when you're in their territory. A charging gator that takes you by surprise is probably not going to go down with a 22. Here's a story from 2013 (which I will post the link below) where a Florida man defended himself against a 6 ft gator with a 357 mag.
Dunnellon man kills gator in his home, initially thinking it was a burglar - Story | abcactionnews.com | Tampa Bay News, Weather, Sports, Things To Do | WFTS-TV

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.