Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking about common handgun calibers and not bolt action rifle calibers shot from TC and other such pistols. I expect the 38 Special is the most accurate and maybe 45 ACP is second. What do you guys think are the most accurate?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Talking about common handgun calibers and not bolt action rifle calibers shot from TC and other such pistols. I expect the 38 Special is the most accurate and maybe 45 ACP is second. What do you guys think are the most accurate?
I think that depends on the shooter. I can shoot all my handguns well, but the fastest and most accurate is 9mm... and in a GLOCK.... I'm sure that will hurt some people out there.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
38spl, 10mm, 45ACP and 38Super are generally considered accurate calibers but the gun itself and the shooter are more important than caliber.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He proves you can hold a handgun too long and your hold will begin to shake. Yes, he does prove that for sure. Just does not take him long!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I doubt you will find a 9mm as accurate as a 45acp. 38 special and 45 acp have been the most used caliber when shooting for accuracy in competitive shooting for many years. This target was shot from a Ransom rest at 25 with a full magazine of 8 rounds of Federal gold Match ammo. You can cover that single hole with a 5 cent nickel.

Attachments

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,189 Posts
I got a chuckle from this thread! I have to disagree with those proposing the 9mm from Glock pistols. Lets look at what what the competitors in Bullseye target shooting used to win matches. In centerfire calibers the .38spl and .45acp were awesome. If your handgun/ ammo combo wouldn't shoot into 2" @ 50yds from a Ransom Rest you needed to see a gunsmith. Kings Custom, Pachmayr, Clark, and the other 'smiths weren't customizing 9mm and .38 Super autos for pure target work. The .32 S&W Long was another very accurate round popular in target revolvers. I have seen Olimki post pictures of the test targets that come with some of the high end semi auto pistols he has in his collection, so I know that the 9mm can be accurate in certain loadings and platforms.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,360 Posts
When the human element is eliminated with a Ransom Rest, you will find most revolvers are quite accurate. I think the most accurate revolver I've ever seen was a 6" S&W Mod 14 loaded with 2.8gr of Bullseye powder under a 148gr LHBWC bullet. 6 rounds in a 25 yard group just .1" larger than one bullet diameter(.458", .1" group) and that wasn't even a record ... it was my own gun.
44 Special, 45 Colt, 41 Mag and 44 Mag can also be exceptionally accurate with Ransom Rest groups measuring under 1" at 25 yards.

About the only semiauto centerfires that will meet match grade specs (reliable sub inch groups at 25 yards) are 38 Supers and 45 Autos in a 1911 platform. No doubt there are other platforms that may be equally accurate. 380 Auto, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 10mm Auto are probably the worst for accuracy .... hard pressed to get reliable groups under 2" at 25 yards. Notice I used the word "reliable" because even a gun with poor accuracy could produce a sub inch group on rare occasions.

22 LRs can be exceptionally accurate. My S&W Mod 41 is one of the most accurate of any normal production pistols. With match grade ammo, I have recorded .40" groups at 25 yards many times .... and this was from sandbags on a benchrest, not a Ransom Rest. There are other 22 pistols that are even more refined if you want to pay the price. 22 LR revolvers can also be exceptionally accurate with a S&W Mod 17 being one of the best. My Mod 17 would reliably print sub-half inch groups from sandbags over a bench rest.

Along with high quality guns, you need high quality match grade ammo if you expect to shoot mouse ear groups. These match loads will chronograph within +or- 12.5 fps (25 fps max spread) whereas premium grade ammo will normally chrono at +or- 25 fps (50 fps spread) and bulk grade ammo is hard pressed to chrono under +or- 50 fps (100 fps spread). With meticulous reloading skills, you can develop loads that meet match grade specs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.