Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #1
Title line says it all.

When I bought my M77 about a decade ago, Ruger's (very attractive!) iron sights were available on almost every M77 variant / caliber option. Now they're all but non-existent.

I've traveled far and wide (many countries, three continents) with my rifle and always appreciated that, if a scope failed in the field, I had the iron ones sighted in and ready to serve as a backup.

Registered
iron sights are alive and well on the GSR

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #3
iron sights are alive and well on the GSR
True, and I really want one of those, but those sights are ugly compared to the elegant old front M77 sight that wraps around the front of the barrel in a beautiful, blued band.

Registered
Some lipstick and a six-pack and you'll hardly tell the difference :D

Registered
Title line says it all.

When I bought my M77 about a decade ago, Ruger's (very attractive!) iron sights were available on almost every M77 variant / caliber option. Now they're all but non-existent.

I've traveled far and wide (many countries, three continents) with my rifle and always appreciated that, if a scope failed in the field, I had the iron ones sighted in and ready to serve as a backup.
Look at the bright side...it keeps production costs down and supports the optics industry...:D

Registered
I have 45 degree off set irons on both my SR22 and 556. I can hold a 1 inch group off hand sling stabalized with them at 25yards. Quick roll to vertical and you can be at 200yds on 9 power.

Registered
I have 45 degree off set irons on both my SR22 and 556. I can hold a 1 inch group off hand sling stabalized with them at 25yards. Quick roll to vertical and you can be at 200yds on 9 power.
I'd love to see a picture of that

Registered
I used to love snuggling up to classic iron sights...then I got old.
If the open sights aren't fiber optic, I mount optics.

Registered
I had a M77mk2 RLS in .243. THAT was an awesome little rifle. I miss the sights....

NEVER sell guns....*sigh*

Registered
The iron sights, plus better wood and better finish, are what attracted me to the Ruger Compact Magnum in .308. I don't see them in the current products.

Registered
The market has simply eliminated sights. People have become more and more dependent on optics rather than relying on any actual skilled required for using iron sights. Couple that with optics being "cool" and that aspect being a huge factor for gun owners - community acceptance and iron sights are basically becoming the nerd glasses, the pocket protector in a way.
Personally, I'd prefer sights on my rifles as well. "Cool" is a moot aspect.

Registered
I like scopes a lot, but I prefer my rifle to at least have the option of open sights. What happens if something happens to my scope while I'm out hunting? If I have open sights I will remove the scope and contimue hunting with the open sights. My main hunting rifle is a M77 that doesn't have open sights, but this year while out hunting my scope took a big hit..... Thankfully, my scope was a Leupold and after a test shot (sucks, had to do it out in the wood, found another hunting spot quite a ways away) found that it was on. Had I had open sights I would've had that option, but I didn't. It has the potential to be a deadly mistake if you're in dangerous game country, which technically I wasn't (it was Black Bear country. Here they can weigh up to 7-800 lbs, so big but not very scary), it made the situation if you're in DG territory seem so plausible. It made me want open sights on any gun intended for the big uglies of the world, that much the experience did.

Registered
The market has simply eliminated sights. People have become more and more dependent on optics rather than relying on any actual skilled required for using iron sights. Couple that with optics being "cool" and that aspect being a huge factor for gun owners - community acceptance and iron sights are basically becoming the nerd glasses, the pocket protector in a way.
Personally, I'd prefer sights on my rifles as well. "Cool" is a moot aspect.
Cool is in the eye of the beholder. I think a rifle, without a scope, and a barrel band with safari sights and a hooded front sight looks the best. I love hooded front sights, they are what's "cool" to me. Nonetheless a scope is the best option for 95% of hunting so that's what I use.

Registered
Manufacturers mirror the market, they dropped iron sights because the perception is that most people are going to scope a rifle anyway, so why go to the added expense of providing iron sights. Makes perfect sense.

Banned
When i was teaching my 10 year old niece to shoot a peep sighted 22 lever action several people came and said why did I not just have her learn on scope. I said everyone should learn iron sights, the look on their face was liek I said everyone should learn to shoot a muzzleloader. Which by the way I think everyone should learn.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.