Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just went to the Ruger Revolvers site to look up specifications on the Redhawk in .45 Colt and it is NOT listed at all. Anybody know what happened? :confused: :confused: :mad:
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
75 Posts
answering a question with another question...

what happened to 45 colt in general? Sure we have plenty of 45 colt single actions to choose from as well as lever actions.

I want to know is the 45 colt double action revolver slowly fading away? There are like NO new 45 colt double action offerings - and the ones that were offered are being discontinued. WHY??? So sad :(:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ruger lists a Redhawk model number 5050 on their website. At first glance I thought it was only 45 Auto, but the fine print states it is chambered for 45 auto or 45 colt.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ruger lists a Redhawk model number 5050 on their website. At first glance I thought it was only 45 Auto, but the fine print states it is chambered for 45 auto or 45 colt.

Hope it helps.
Yep. Same basic model. Must have reshuffled their catalog.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hope it helps.
Thanks for spotting that; though, it is the barrel /shroud model which I don't see as being as rugged as the original models. ie. What happens if you drop the the one with the shrouded barrel? Is it as mechanically sound?
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for spotting that; though, it is the barrel /shroud model which I don't see as being as rugged as the original models. ie. What happens if you drop the the one with the shrouded barrel? Is it as mechanically sound?
Best,
Rob
Your guess is as good as mine since I don’t own any shrouded barrel revolvers. Depending on the design they could be more durable, but these days design changes seem to be driven by profits not quality.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Supposedly, a shrouded barrel saves time due to not having to time the threads making sure the rib/sight ends up in the correct position. S&W has been doing this for a while and claims it enhances accuracy, but I do not really know if it does or not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bud's still shows the regular .45LC Redhawk for $750.
It's a square butt with the older one piece barrel.
The newer .45lc/.45acp is a round butt gun for more money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A Ruger only really wears at the forcing cone. If it kabooms it’s at the cylinder and top strap. Shrouded barrel should have no effect on strength. If they are properly tensioned, a shrouded barrel is also more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Army CW3
1,127 Posts
A Ruger only really wears at the forcing cone. If it kabooms it’s at the cylinder and top strap. Shrouded barrel should have no effect on strength. If they are properly tensioned, a shrouded barrel is also more accurate.

Why is that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why is that?

Read up on Dan Wesson revolvers and barrel harmonics. In the past 5 years both S&W and Ruger have gone to shrouded and tensioned barrels in their large frames. A shrouded and tensioned barrel is actually more rigid than a one piece barrel and the barrel vibrates in a more consistent way as the bullet travels down it. Resulting in better accuracy. It is also cheaper to manufacture as you can set the cylinder gap correctly with less complications and you can’t over-clock the barrel during manufacture (so no canted barrels).
Btw this very different than the shrouded barrels used in the LCR and the S&W bodyguard, since those shrouded barrels aren’t tensioned and are on average less accurate than a one piece barrel.

·
3,333 Posts
To comment on the 45 Colt aspect, this is one of those great calibers that wont go away. Its a great caliber and while it never sets any sales records, there is always decent demand for it, which is why you see it going in and out of production. Word of advice, when you see it, get it, cause while it might be in the catalog, who knows when it will hit the production schedule. I have one of the square butt colt only models, but it took years to get it. I put one on order years ago when they first came out with the redhawk in 45 colt. Needless to say, my LGS ended up giving me my money back (had it paid in full) cause after a year they were still getting no word when it was going to actually hit production and be available. So, get on gunbroker, find the version you want and get it, cause you never know.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Read up on Dan Wesson revolvers and barrel harmonics. In the past 5 years both S&W and Ruger have gone to shrouded and tensioned barrels in their large frames. A shrouded and tensioned barrel is actually more rigid than a one piece barrel and the barrel vibrates in a more consistent way as the bullet travels down it. Resulting in better accuracy. It is also cheaper to manufacture as you can set the cylinder gap correctly with less complications and you can’t over-clock the barrel during manufacture (so no canted barrels).
Btw this very different than the shrouded barrels used in the LCR and the S&W bodyguard, since those shrouded barrels aren’t tensioned and are on average less accurate than a one piece barrel.

Only if there is a muzzle Nut to provide the Tension. Ruger and most Smiths do not use one. DW. Does

·
Registered
13 Posts
Only if there is a muzzle Nut to provide the Tension. Ruger and most Smiths do not use one. DW. Does

The Smiths and Rugers (the large frame ones) are tensioned at the factory but are not adjustable by the end user like a Dan Wesson. But they are tensioned and on the Smiths you see the external barrel nut.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Smith & Wesson has had some issues with the barrels coming loose on the sleeved models.

Yeah it's cheaper and easier for them to do it this way... but at the expense of less reliability.

The old saying... "they don't make them like they used to"... definitely applies here.

Unless Smith and Ruger are adding loctite to the barrels now... I think this is going to be a continuing problem.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
My 5032 Redhawk has been a Pleasure to Shoot. I no longer bother with 45acp. I handload 45 Win Mag cases to a Safe Pressure, and use the Moon Clips for an instant load/unload operation. My only complaint is the Round Butt, but that probably could be fixed with after market grips.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
I'll have to double check to make sure they still have them but a LGS had several NIB 7.5" square butt stainless 45 Colt Redhawks a few weeks ago. If anybody is interested I'll try and get over there before the weekend to see if they have any left.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts