Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is a "Bisley"? I know from looking at pictures that the grip is longer (probably much more comfortable as well) on a "Bisley" as opposed to a standard SA. Are their any other differences and if so what are they? Thanks:eek::eek:

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
The grip frame and grips of course, the hammer and the trigger are the most obvious along with the unfluted, rollmarked cylinder on some of the Bisley models. Unseen are the upper grip frame screws which are allen head rather than the standard slotted screws used on the other models.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lowered and wider hammer spur too

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So then is "Bisley" a comprehensive design variation (and thus the higher price)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bisley-What is it?

Hopefully the background is not to late for your info. The original grip on the handguns of the era (1880's) tended to roll up in the hand after being fired.

For a world competition in 1894, in Bisley England, Colt came up with an extended grip with a flatter trigger and hammer. The longer grip allowed a better grip on the gun when firing.

Thereafter (cute phrase, huh) the gun configuration was known as Colt's bisley. Then later changed to Bisley when other gun makers came out with the new grip. The Bisley was extremely popular with lawmen and merchants.

SpareParts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
The Bisley was extremely popular with lawmen and merchants.
It's pretty damn popular with me as well..... :D :D :D
(And as above; basically grip frame, trigger and hammer.)

·
Registered
306 Posts

As you can see in this photo not ALL Bisleys have roll marked cylinders, the two on the upper right are 41 and 44 Bisleys I also have found a 357 not in photo. One left to complete my set it's the elusive 45!

Early production bisleys came with Fluted cylinders due to a problem tooling up for the roll marked cylinders. They put out a few thusand with fluted cylinders till the problem was worked out. Catalogue numbers for the fluted are RB 35, RB 41, RB 44 and RB 45. Roll marked cylinder guns are RB 35W, RB 41W, R44W and RB 45W. The "W" designates "Roll marked cylinder"

Still looking for a NIB RB 45 lol BM

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I prefer the ruger bisley grip over the colt or colt copies as for me the ruger is more comfortable. teh origin was explained but I also ad that especailly in arizona the bisley colt was popular.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
From the way you expressed your question I think there is one thing you have to realize. A Bisley Blackhawk and a regular Blackhawk are the same guns.

The only difference is the grip frame. Basically all Rugers grip frames are interchangeable. Remove 5 screws, take one grip frame off and put another one on.

Rugers are made with a lot of interchangeable parts. Of course the Bisley grip frame because of it's style has it's own trigger and hammer that go with it but as I said, the guns are still the same.

It's kind of like the Ruger Montado thing. The Montado is just a New Vaquero with a few embellishments on it. It even says "Ruger New Vaquero" on the side of it.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
The .45 Bisley is the one I see most often. My usual haunt has one now, although not a NIB one. It is a current production model so just order one - won't get any more NIB that that. :)

I like 'em. Got a few myself. Here's some of 'em.

Still have another steel grip frame that needs to be fit to something and another brass one that will get used eventually. Just not sure what I want to be yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As you can see in this photo not ALL Bisleys have roll marked cylinders, the two on the upper right are 41 and 44 Bisleys I also have found a 357 not in photo. One left to complete my set it's the elusive 45!

Early production bisleys came with Fluted cylinders due to a problem tooling up for the roll marked cylinders. They put out a few thusand with fluted cylinders till the problem was worked out. Catalogue numbers for the fluted are RB 35, RB 41, RB 44 and RB 45. Roll marked cylinder guns are RB 35W, RB 41W, R44W and RB 45W. The "W" designates "Roll marked cylinder"

I believe that the SBH Bisley Hunter 45 Colts are the only production model Bisley 45 Colts with non-fluted, non-roll marked cylinders. The cylinder looks more like the 454/45 Colt cylinder in the SRH. Here's my Bishunter next to my RH with the 454 SRH cylinder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
great education guys....this forum is an 'amazing source of information'...and certainly creates interests in other guns.

...as my Avatar indicates... I was a 'Bisley' packer at 5 yrs old...:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I second the thought. Although I share a lot of opinions, the true gem of this forum is learning from others. The insight and knowledge that many on this forum have has been very beneficial to me. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I believe that the SBH Bisley Hunter 45 Colts are the only production model Bisley 45 Colts with non-fluted, non-roll marked cylinders. The cylinder looks more like the 454/45 Colt cylinder in the SRH. Here's my Bishunter next to my RH with the 454 SRH cylinder.

When did Ruger stop making the SuperBlackhawk STAINLESS and the SUPERBLACKHAWK BISLEY HUNTER in .45COLT? I would like to get one just like yours to match my Marlin 1894SS .45Colt.

GB45

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
When did Ruger stop making the SuperBlackhawk STAINLESS and the SUPERBLACKHAWK BISLEY HUNTER in .45COLT? I would like to get one just like yours to match my Marlin 1894SS .45Colt.

GB45
The 45 Hunters were a non-cataloged distributor thing for Lipsey's a few yrs back.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
any idea what the cost would be to change out my blackhawk hunter?

Parts needed:

Grip frame
Grips
Trigger
Hammer
Grip frames screws (2 upper ones)

Now if the grip frame is brand new and unfitted, you'll also be best to et the trigger spring retaining pin and he grip locator dowel. The grip frame would also need fitting and finishing if it's never ben done. Parts total, excluding grips would be in the $180-200 range. The grip frames aren't exactly an easy thing to locate though, especially the stainless ones. Add another $80 or so for a good gunsmith to fit it all up for you. I use Gallagher for mine so there's another cost for the shipping. Well worth it though as he does an excellent job!

·
Registered
56 Posts

GB45
They made 603 standard grip frames and 279 Bisleys in 2005ish. Recently they had a cleanup run of the Bisleys which puts them over 300. Here's the info.

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley 45 Colt

There is a Bisley for sale over at the other rugerforum. I don't know anything about the gun or seller. RugerForum.com :: View topic - F/s Ruger bisley SBH hunter 45lc (NY)

funny, a few years back I was looking for one of those stainless Marlin 45 Colts to go with my 45 Colt Redhawk. I ended up coming across a 454 Puma and then put a 454 cylinder in my Redhawk so now I have this pair...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Last month I ordered a Lipsey's Bisley in .44 Special. My dealer said they had an order in for another run of them and were expecting them soon. He called yesterday and said it would be in tomorrow. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I almost ordered one 2 months ago, but went with the full size Bisley instead. Enjoy your new Ruger! Be sure and post some pics and some info on how it shoots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts