Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cc my sr40 not every time I leave the house but fairly often. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good carry round. I have no loyalty to one brand over another or grain count. Just looking for some input.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I like the Hornady "Critical Defense".

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You will get a bunch of personal preferences. Having no personal experience with having to shoot anyone to determine stopping power I decide to go with Speer Gold Dot and Winchester PDX1 defender. Based on ballistic test reviews and the fact that Speer and Winchester have a long history in making defensive rounds.
Below is a You tube link to tnoutdoors9 review of Speer in 40. The suggested videos will give you a variety of other brands.
Enjoy.
YouTube

Just a note: I didn't view this video first, it is one of his older tests using water jugs instead of ballistic gel you can go to his channel to get some newer tests.
Also you might consider going with a Plus P round due to the short barrel.

·
4E617468616E 4C656767
1,840 Posts
I personally use Speer Gold Dots in all my CC handguns. You will probably find that a lot of posters like either Speer or Hornady Critical Defense. You can always to best of both worlds and get both and load your magazines with alternating Speer and Hornady.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Whatever you decide on be sure to actually shoot it a lot and not just some other cheap practice ammo. I made that mistake trying to save a few bucks only to find the stuff I was expecting to save my life was jamming my 1911.

·
Banned
698 Posts
I carry and have in my house gun Spree gold dots. The expansion is as close to the old Eagle Black Talons. Which were the best take down round produced, so good the government banned them. They had an expansion rate two and a half times the bullet and would star out. ER doctors put pressure on the government because of the damage the bullet did.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
.45 ACP 230 grain Hydra-Shock. Oh, you said .40...sorry, my mistake...;)

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Okay, jokes aside.....155 grain Hydra-Shock, or 135 grain Cor-Bon JHP.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Speer Gold Dot in all my carry guns regardless of caliber.

With a 4 inch barrel the Short Barrel may not be necessary but it's a stout 180 gr round.

Try several and see what shoot best in your gun.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I'll probably get bombarded for this but my .40 is full of 180 grn. Hornady XTPs that I reloaded myself. I figure if I have to shoot someone, than I'm in pretty deep trouble no matter what ammo I use in to days society. I have never had a malfunction with my reloads and I trust them with my life. I load to Hodgdons specs. just like ammo manufacturers load to specs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I carry and have in my house gun Spree gold dots. The expansion is as close to the old Eagle Black Talons. Which were the best take down round produced, so good the government banned them. They had an expansion rate two and a half times the bullet and would star out. ER doctors put pressure on the government because of the damage the bullet did.
I've never heard of "Eagle Black Talons". If you are referring to Winchester Ranger Black Talons... they were NEVER banned by the government. They were removed from the market by Winchester because of anti-favorable marketing issues. They have re-designed the bullet a few times going originally to an SXT design with 8 petals and then later to the Winchester Ranger T with 6. It is fine ammunition that I use in all my SD pistols. The Ranger T bullet is very comparable to the PDX1, except it is not bonded. It is widely available, normally in LE packaging - which can lead to another fallacy that LE ammo is regulated by the government - it isn't.

Speer Gold Dots is another fine SD ammunition and it is also available in LE packaging - also available to the general public, but sometimes limited by distributors, not regulation (unless locally). Bottom line - it is usually less expensive to purchase basically the same ammunition in 50 round boxes instead of the 20 - 25 round boxes becoming popular at the larger retailers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I prefer Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dots Short Barrel since they're made for shorter barrels (4" or less). They produce less flash and bang due to their fast burning powder. Always a good thing at night inside a home.
Try them both and see which one works best for you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There are many good, premium SD rounds out today. Speer, Winchester Ranger T and Federal HST are some of the ones I've used and they are available in 50 round boxes which save you a whole lot of $$$. If you're shooting .40, a lot of Walmarts carry Federal for local LEO's for a good price. If none of your local gun shops or big box sporting goods stores have any, Cheaper than Dirt, Ammo To Go, Midway and others have them. It pays to look around, though- every time I'm by GAT Guns in Dundee, IL I stop in and grab some Federal HST Tactical .45 +P that they have for only $25.99.

·
Banned
698 Posts
Eire county NY. Was in the process of banning the sale of them when Winchester pulled them off the market. Local gun stores were advised not to reorder more but could sell what they had on hand. TRUST ME there is a big difference between the original and the ranger T. The talons expanded in the star pattern and had a thicker jacket that slowed the peal back and expansion to around 90°-120° and the points were needle sharp also were a heavy and hot round. I'm sad to say the newer round doesn't expand so much as peal back. The talon expanded 2 to 2.5 times the normal bullet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts