Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just sold my 9 mm and now am in the search for a replacement for it. I would like another 9 so I am something cheap to shoot besides my 45 mm. I've been eyeing this up and wonder if anybody has had experience with it?

·
Registered
737 Posts
nothing wrong with the 92's. they're a classic 9mm that still looks good (if not better) compared to modern pistols. if you're iffy on the price, you could always grab a Taurus for less. same design but made in Brazil vs Italy. i know several people with both and all love theirs. as far as 9mm being cheaper to shoot, that WAS true but not anymore. unless you're lucky enough to have a store that gets plenty of stock and hasn't yet hiked the prices through the roof then today's 9mm ammo cost more than 45 used to.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The 92FS was the US military sidearm for 25 years or so, as the M9. I have owned several, and currently own one, and they are awesome guns. Never, ever had one jam, and the slide when you rack it feels like it's on ball bearings. In case you can't tell, I am a big fan of the design.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Great gun. Most people love the way it fits in your hand. What gun did you get rid of and why? What are you looking for in a new gun? What is it going to be used for; home defense, range toy, carry gun? The M9 version is available in .22 and is the same size and very close in weight to the 9mm if you're looking for a range toy or practice companion for it's big brother.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
+1 on the Beretta. Great choice. It comes in many flavors but they're all the same gun. The differences are cosmetic, replaceable front sights and the shape of the grip. If you have small hands I recommend the Vertec grip.

I've owned several B92's but I only have one left. M9A3. Arguably the best 9mm DA/SA pistol in my safe.

Reactions: DOUBLESHOT

·
Registered
196 Posts
I purchased my 92FS in 1992. List was $881, price was $724, cut to $619 and on sale when I bought it at $599.
The only reason I still have it is my son wants it as he was with me when I bought it. He likes it, I do not.
Trigger pull on mine is terrible, long and inconsistent in single action, the point of release is not consistent and the reset
is also inconsistent.

Mine likely has mechanical problems that I was too newby to realize and get resolved. But ever other aspect it has been
fine.

(You know the slide is easily removed by an assailent. I saw Jet Li do it to Mel Gibson in a movie, so it must be true)

·
Banned
RUGER
248 Posts
I recently just sold my 9 mm and now am in the search for a replacement for it. I would like another 9 so I am something cheap to shoot besides my 45 mm. I've been eyeing this up and wonder if anybody has had experience with it?

I gave all my other 9mm pistols to my Son and went with the Springfield Armory XDM 4.5" I have two one Black one FDE you get 20 shots of accurate 9mm firepower in a full-sized combat handgun . and for a Compact 9mm, I went with the Springfield Armory Hell Cat you get 14 rounds of 9mm firepower in a micro-compact.I also gave my .45's to my son and opted for the Springfield XD .45 5.25" Tactical &.45 XDM Elite 5.25 "Tactical. Not pistols for girly men. I own these below and have won several competition shooting events with them.

XD-M® Elite 4.5" 9mm Handgun - Springfield Armory

XD-M® Elite 4.5" OSP™ Threaded 9mm Handgun - Desert FDE - Springfield Armory

XD® 5" Tactical Model .45 ACP Handgun, Low Capacity - Springfield Armory

XD-M® 5.25" Competition Series .45 ACP Handgun - Springfield Armory

Hellcat® 3" Micro-Compact OSP™ 9mm Handgun - Springfield Armory

·
Registered
58 Posts

I love the SR40's I own...

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I carried the 92F (M9) for my last few overseas deployments with the Army (before that, my issue weapon was the M1911).

Pros: rugged, reliable, easy to field-strip and clean; the slide has a large cut in the top which (I was told by the unit armorer) allows you to easily single-load rounds if the magazine is lost or damaged - never tried that feature.

Cons: heavy and bulky; its magazine capacity is a few rounds less than more modern 9mm pistols of the same size.

·
Registered
894 Posts

I do like the Beretta all metal 9's like that, or CZ 75 type guns. Sigs are nice.

But for a step down in price, and perhaps to a degree more practical than the full-size all metal guns, are Glock 19's or S&W M&P. I like the M&P series a lot, although I only have a shield. I've shot a full-sized M&P 9mm. For the money, I think S&W semi-autos are a great deal. I know people will hate me for this, but S&W semi-auto service caliber guns are generally higher quality (and also more expensive) than service caliber Ruger handguns.

Also, these are a fair price compared to the Beretta 92's or CZ 75's. MSRP is under $600.

M&P M2.0 Compact | Smith & Wesson (smith-wesson.com)

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Well, to start, the Beretta 92 is a fine gun. In my mind it is not a cheap gun though.

I had a 92 and traded it off years ago in a rage of stupidity. I have several 9 mm currently in the safe. It would be good to know what you just sold to give you advice on others.

I carry a Glock G26. I prefer to shoot my SIG P226 at the range, but my Taurus G2 is by far my best cheap 9mm.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts