Ruger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you have to get a hammer fired gun look at the Sig 226 or 229.

I've got rid of hammer fired hand guns and my current favorite is the S&W M&P.
I tried real hard to like the extremely popular VP9 but the mag release being in the wrong location was something I just couldn't deal with.
The FN 509 is nice as well but I'm too heavily invested in the M&P's to switch at this point.

I didn't even try the newest generation of Glock since I hated the last 4 generations.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Taurus PT92 which seems to be a clone of the Beretta. It's a great home defense pistol, reliable and good looking. Too big and heavy for me to use as everyday carry. Good gun to have on your nightstand. For EDC, I have a Ruger LC9s and LC9s Pro. Both fit into the front pockets of either a cargo pant or a chino type pant. In terms of capacity, they are obsolete compared to the Sig 365, but since I shoot well with them, I haven't sold them. If you don't own one, I would try out a Sig 365. I rented one and found it to be exactly the same size and weight as my LC9s; even fit into the same pocket holster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, the best 9mm deal I have seen in a long time is the new Taurus G3 T.O.R.O. with a Vortex Venom 3 MOA Red Dot for $499.00 at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. With a lifetime warranty on the optic (which typically retails in the low to mid-$250 range) the pistol, which has been very highly reviewed, is almost a give-a-way at that price!

A SCCY CPX-2 9mm (with no safety) at Bud's for $230.00 is probably the "lea$t expen$ive" way to get back into 9mm: their Warranty service (if ever needed?) is truly outstanding, as well.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Cheers!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
To clarify, I sold my last 9 mm thinking I was going to get a wheel gun but now I am re thinking that I may want to go for another 9 mm if I can't find a wheel gun around the area. I sold my Canik cause I didn't know much about it when I bought it at the time and thought that getting the 45 auto ammo would be easy enough to get. Well I have a place I can get the ammo, just would like something more less to shoot with some bang. I guess you live and you learn, should have kept the Canik.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Okay. Now we have some information to work with. :)

So to narrow it down for you, what did you dislike about the Beretta that wasn't a problem with the Canik?

I am guessing weight since the 92 is all steel. It's heavy. For a home defense the heavier gun isn't really that much a problem. For carry, the Canik is far lighter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look at the bersa tpr9 or the compact tpr9c. 450 bucks. It has full controls for right or left. Very well made all metal gun. Had a full size love it. Getting the compact. In a couple weeks.i have the ruger American compact 9mm. I do like it. I shoot it well. I like the bersa better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Okay. Now we have some information to work with. :)

So to narrow it down for you, what did you dislike about the Beretta that wasn't a problem with the Canik?

I am guessing weight since the 92 is all steel. It's heavy. For a home defense the heavier gun isn't really that much a problem. For carry, the Canik is far lighter.
I was referring the picture of the Beretta is to what I wanted to look at and the Canik is what I had got rid of. I just don't think it was a wise choice on my part to sell the Canik during this period of time. I have never owned the Beretta, so I am unaware of it's weight.

·
Registered
196 Posts
"I have never owned the Beretta, so I am unaware of it's weight. "

Mine is 30.2 ounces with no magazine. One empty 15 round magazine is 3 ounces. Copying text from a web search:

The Berretta M9 is a variant of the Berretta 92 series, and it’s being used in the US Armed Forces.
It has a 15-round magazine. Let’s say you’re loading this handgun with the Maxxtech 115 gr that weighs 14.06 grams.

So the rounds alone contribute 211 grams to the weight of the gun. An unloaded M9 weighs 970 grams (34 ounces).

Therefore, a loaded M9 will weigh approximately 1181 grams or 2.6 pounds.

·
Registered
215 Posts
To clarify, I sold my last 9 mm thinking I was going to get a wheel gun but now I am re thinking that I may want to go for another 9 mm if I can't find a wheel gun around the area. I sold my Canik cause I didn't know much about it when I bought it at the time and thought that getting the 45 auto ammo would be easy enough to get. Well I have a place I can get the ammo, just would like something more less to shoot with some bang. I guess you live and you learn, should have kept the Canik.
If you like wheel guns for SA and DA but want a semi auto too then you should take a look at the
GRAND POWER P-11 MK-12 It shoots DA,SA and semi auto. It also has a safety and a decocker.
It also has a rotating barrel which reduces recoil and is very accurate and controllable.

You can read about it here; American Rifleman | Official Journal Of The NRA | Tested: Grand Power P11 Pistol

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently just sold my 9 mm and now am in the search for a replacement for it. I would like another 9 so I am something cheap to shoot besides my 45 mm. I've been eyeing this up and wonder if anybody has had experience with it?

I don't own any 9mm Berettas. I have some smaller models, and they are very well made. My sole criticism of the little Berettas was that they did not include an extractor. The round came out "hot" but if it didn't come out you had to remove the case with a dowel rod.

Being this is a Ruger forum, have you considered the Security-9 or the American? These are currently in production.

Used... I own a pair of SR-40s. I like them. The sibling of the SR-40 was the SR-9. Accurate, reliable and much like the Glock in its striker firing.

I own a few Glocks. They are fine too.

This is the SR-9. Nice lines, fast recovery.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
894 Posts
I recently just sold my 9 mm and now am in the search for a replacement for it. I would like another 9 so I am something cheap to shoot besides my 45 mm. I've been eyeing this up and wonder if anybody has had experience with it?

S&W Shield Plus, 10 and 13 round mags. Very good 3.0 trigger.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts