Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start Gunsmithing school this spring and would like to know what tools I should bring. They supply their own tools at the program but I would like to bring some of my own to work with. I was wondering what companies tools are good and will last, what tools should I get to start off with and what are every ones favorite tool to use. I am also looking in to getting a mill, some software and making my own lowers and parts. I hope to make my own firearms down the road. I do a lot of woodworking, make my own bows, my own fly rods, fishing rods, tie flies and also got in to doing hydrographics. I love working with my hands and can't wait to start school. When we move back to Virginia in 5 years, I hope to get a job with one of the major gun manufacturing companies. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Tight groups,

Ricky V.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A good screwdriver set, a set of common sized punches, and a nylon/brass hammer. I got all my stuff from Brownells, and added stuff as needed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would call Brownells and let them make the suggestion. Or, get their catalog and tell them that you are going to start gun smithing school. They have a nice discount for professionals such as yourself.

Looking around at my tools, most of them came from garage sales over the last fifty years or so. You will need a lot of stuff. Probably first on the list would be a good set of screwdrivers. Brownells has some great ones.

Buy your tools used if you can. Used tools make it look like you know what you are doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts