Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in answers with personal experience involved rather than just opinions. I just left a junk 30-90 Chinese scope at the range because I couldn't it to focus. I got it to focus at the gun show when I bought it but couldn't get it to do so at the range yesterday.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
What is your price range? Sporting scopes vary greatly in price. I have a Nikon Monarch ED sporting scope 20-60 and I have no problem seeing .223 bullet holes at 200 yards and much further even on black NRA targets. But then again, I can see bullet holes at 200 yards with many of my scopes. But what I would bet you are running into is a clarity/quality issue with your scope you currently have rather than a purely magnification issue.

So help us help you and start with a price range? But if you are looking for actual recommendations and you are looking to spend $1500-$1600, I can recommend the Nikon Monarch ED 20-60X sporting scope. With its ED glass, it is bright and clear. I have taken it hunting out west and have been very impressed with its ability to look deep into shadows, even in the middle of a bright sunny day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I'm looking at Leupold and Vortex scopes in the $700-$900 range. At those prices I feel I should be able to get a darn good scope. I don't want to waste any more money on one I can't focus.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have the Barskahawk Spotting Scope 20-60x 60mm with Tripod and Hard Case. I think it's $146 at Midway right now. Not the most clear at 200 yards but 22 holes can be seen. For how often I shoot at 200+ it's fine for me. If you're going $700+ I would expect an AMAZING spotting scope. If I shot at distance more often I'd go big as well.

Pls let us know what you choose.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Should ask, is this just for the range? Vs a spotting scope, I put a Vortex Golden Eagle on my .223 Tikka T3x Varmint. Great glass and can easily watch your hits through the scope. Just a thought.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,559 Posts
I used to use spotting scopes, no more. A friend bought one of these on sale for half price, and it works awesone, it tracks shots, will work with the extender out a mile, and you can even get a warranty if it gets hit by a bullet. Works with android, or apple cell phones and tablets. There is no doubt where you hit with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is just for the range. I may get the SME system if I start to shoot longer distances but right now 300 yards is probably as long as I will shoot. Our club has a 600 yard range.

I just found a 20-60 BSA (also a very inexpensive thing) that I'd forgotten I had, set it up on the kitchen table, and it appears to be very clear so I will take it to the range this week and see how I like it.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,559 Posts
It is just for the range. I may get the SME system if I start to shoot longer distances but right now 300 yards is probably as long as I will shoot. Our club has a 600 yard range.

I just found a 20-60 BSA (also a very inexpensive thing) that I'd forgotten I had, set it up on the kitchen table, and it appears to be very clear so I will take it to the range this week and see how I like it.
We use his at 100 yards alot, and longer distances sometimes. This setup keeps you from having to replace your target due to multiple hits, will track the best scores, has a dueling mode for 2 shooters, even has a measuring system. plug iin your scopes measurement, and ballistiic data and it calculates what scope changes need to be made to zero.

I will admit i was skeptical at first, but after using it, i never take the spotting scope to the range anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts