1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Exchequer
4,635 Posts
For plinking, the longer barrel should provide a tad more accuracy - all things being equal.

For home defense, a shorter barrel may be a bit easier to maneuver through hallways, etc.

Advice? Get 'em both!😁

·
Registered
174 Posts
The shorter barrel is a target barrel. I'd lay odds that it would likely be a bit more accurate.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One is stainless, banded carbine, tapered barrel, with open sights and a standard 10/22 stock. The other is a fluted bull target barrel, free floating, threaded barrel with no open sights, on a Ruger American stock. The Ruger American stock is modular, and has pieces to extend length of pull & comb height for scope mount. You get an extra comb height piece with the gun. Strawdog is probably right on accuracy since it is a target barrel. It has no open sights so optics are required. Free floating barrels are almost always more accurate. The threaded barrel permits mounting a suppressor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is weight important to the OP? How does a slight increase in accuracy matter for a home defense arm? What does the OP plink at? The required optical/red dot/laser on the short barrel sight negates any accuracy deficiency due to a shorter sight radius - think guys! Get what you want regardless of any minor perceived differences - they really don’t matter.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
First, longer barrels are NOT inherently more accurate and any 22lr barrel longer than about 16" gives no velocity improvement. Longer barrels can have more practical accuracy if you use iron sights since the sight radius is longer but with optical sights there is no improvement.

As noted, the two 10/22s you mentioned are vastly different in features and price. Buy the one that has the features you need or want or at the price you want to spend.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The 21133 is what i would get. The modular stock, heavy barrel threaded barrel are all things nicer over the basic stainless. It's actually the only takedown version i would give a second look other than the lite

I would never consider .22lr for self defense. Especially out of a semiautomatic. Too much chance of the one time in your life you need it, it will go "click" and no bang. Is your life worth more than 6 cents?

For plinking either barrel will be just as accurate as the other. Do you plan on using irons or an optic of some sort? Actually the shorter barrel will probably be more accurate. With the modular stock it is easy to set it up for different length of pull and cheek comb for optics.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The weight difference is not a big deal to me. I did not even notice that the 21133 did not have sights. So, yes, I would have to add some sort of optic, correct? Can you somehow add iron sites to that barrel? If not, anybody have a basic optic that they recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would never consider .22lr for self defense. Especially out of a semiautomatic. Too much chance of the one time in your life you need it, it will go "click" and no bang. Is your life worth more than 6 cents?
While I certainly would never rely on .22lr for self-defense, I wonder if you have had jamming or other problems with 10/22? Mine was never particularly accurate, but it never failed to go bang. Bought it in the 60s though, so maybe they aren't as reliable now. FWIW my self defense guns are .357Sig.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The weight difference is not a big deal to me. I did not even notice that the 21133 did not have sights. So, yes, I would have to add some sort of optic, correct? Can you somehow add iron sites to that barrel? If not, anybody have a basic optic that they recommend? Thanks.
All depends on what kind of shooting you want to do.

A simple red dot like a Vortex Venom, C-More, or bushnell TRS-25 would work fine.

Or you could always scope it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
While I certainly would never rely on .22lr for self-defense, I wonder if you have had jamming or other problems with 10/22? Mine was never particularly accurate, but it never failed to go bang. Bought it in the 60s though, so maybe they aren't as reliable now. FWIW my self defense guns are .357Sig.
I have not had any issues with any of my 10/22's jamming. Jamming would not be the reason for me not use rimfire as a self defense round. The click no bang would be the big reason. The primer compound is spun into the rim of the case. That primer can have the chance to not adhere to the rim or can fall out of the rim. My life is worth far more than 6 cents and the high probability of a failure to fire when needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I will be adding a red dot. I see that you can add a magnifier to that as well. I have a 9mm pistol for home defense, but hope that another family member would be able to pick up the 10/22 and assist or defend themselves if it was all that was in reach. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts