Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what grade?
what features?
what series of Mk1/2 is the top gun as far as cost?
i know people can build them up into fancy race guns etc., but as far as buying one in original condition.....just the mention of it would turn heads and people would know its the best of the best.
im not talking NIB either. i mean the most well built, expensive, or rarist Mk1/2 available to the common man.
Someone made mention of a mk1 5 ¼ “ bull. What made it rare?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
In standard issue, the 10" stainless ones are certainly head turners. The Great 8 was a distributor exclusive, and rare. There were some two toned ones, and some anniversary ones also... 60th, 50th, not sure.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Don't know of any one Standard/Mark version that would make it to Holy Grail status, short of one that had a very low serial number.

Given the over the counter models, I've always lusted after an MKII Government, though it was not by any means rare. Just happens to be one I don't have, yet. :)

My '65 Mark I with stock walnut grips and 6 7/8 heavy tapered barrel (bottom gun) is not one you see that often, though. As old Mark versions go, these command as hefty a price as any.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Sweeeet!

·
Banned
56 Posts
Any gun that is bascically still in production

after 63 years is a classic. I have twelve Standard and Mark Is, IIs, and IIIs. I love them all. They are great guns. My favorite is the Mark II. I think,(MY OPINION) Ruger went over the edge on safety with the Mark IIIs. The added a safety that prevents the gun from being fires with the magazine removed and an loaded chamber indicator.

These may be fine for a new user. I was always taught that guns are ALWAYS considered loaded and why would you fire a gun with the magazine removed. Maybe they did this to prevent dry firing?

Many Mark III owners remove the magazine disconnect for convenience.

As far as value The original Standards and early Mark Is seem to have the most collectors value followed by the anniversary models followed by the stainless steel, long and bull barrel guns.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so it looks like the answer may be hidden in early guns of standard design?

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Although I'm not a collector, I've owned numerous Marks over the years. But I have a question for you collectors. Are the Marks/Standards I, II, III properly referred to as "generations", or "model years" ? What would be the correct terminology ? Thanks

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
You can roughly divide it on a Mark1, Mark II, Mark III basis, given the understanding that Ruger has sometimes been a bit ambiguous about how they labeled the Standard - models with fixed sights. The term Mark I, for instance, was only used to describe guns in the Mark I "era" that had adjustable sights. The Standard was any gun in that era that had fixed sights. There was no such a thing as a Mark I Standard, only a Mark I or a Standard. On the basis of features, though, most folks just categorize the evolution of Marks as Mark I, Mark II and Mark III, even though that labeling is not entirely accurate in some cases.

There is an excellent sticky at the top of the Rimfire Forum entitled Ruger Mark Series that explains the differences between the Mark I, Mark II and Mark III on the basis of features. By comparison to the labeling that has been used on this series over the years, identifying the various changes in terms of features is simple and straightforward.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Regards the One Millionth Ruger Standard in my post above:

Looked it up in R.L. Wilson's book. It went for $27,200 at the 1980 auction. Imagine its worth now?

The book says serials 1000000-1000004 were done this way, does not say what was done with the other four.

Maybe one of us will see one at the LGS?.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
marks

you can roughly divide it on a mark1, mark ii, mark iii basis, given the understanding that ruger has sometimes been a bit ambiguous about how they labeled the standard - models with fixed sights. The term mark i, for instance, was only used to describe guns in the mark i "era" that had adjustable sights. The standard was any gun in that era that had fixed sights. There was no such a thing as a mark i standard, only a mark i or a standard. On the basis of features, though, most folks just categorize the evolution of marks as mark i, mark ii and mark iii, even though that labeling is not entirely accurate in some cases.

There is an excellent sticky at the top of the rimfire forum entitled ruger mark series that explains the differences between the mark i, mark ii and mark iii on the basis of features. By comparison to the labeling that has been used on this series over the years, identifying the various changes in terms of features is simple and straightforward.
thankyou:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so the 1 millionth has top honors. but it is actually very limited and would expect to be expensive because of its rarity.

but so far, as standard production, still we havent touched on a rare or unique gun that holds interest as being odd or unique in the issued ranks.

all i have to go on as an example is the hi standards.
i/e: the slant grip victor. only 500 were made. and they werent commemoratives. anyone could have one.

so back to mk1 or mk2's.
is there one out there that wasnt made much, and is the one everyone wants or is looking for all the time? like a coin dealer going thru pennies looking for a rare year.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Nope, the Standard/Mark variations have followed suit with the design - pretty straightforward, just the opposite of High Standard and their endless variation on their autoloading pistols. No Holy Grail or find of a lifetime, just wonderful, basic, enduring 22 pistols that keep shooting and shooting.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ruger Mark's were made for the average person to purchase.
They have made millions & haven't changed that much.
I believe some of the Laminated 10/22 are some of the nicest stocks ever made.

They are of very high quality for what they cost. The Mark I, Mark II, Mark III, 22/45 are made to last for ever even when abused.
My first Mark I cost $49.95 in 1972 & they thru in the wooden grips. I was making less than $4.00 per hour. Had a New Ford Bronco & a new wife. Still have the the same pretty Blonde wife.
Like I said, they were made to last & be shot.
They have made some very collectable firearms. The serious Ruger collectors want them N.I.B.
Their customer Svc. rates very high.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what variation would be the lowest? 10" bbl? s/s variations? military govt issue?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Don't have access to production numbers, but, yes, I'd guess the 10" barrel models were as scarce as any variation. Super long barrel lengths in any pistol or revolver tend to be the least common, all the more so in this day and age of CCW.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im going out on a limb and assume that the red label grips are rarer than the black label grips. those 10" were popular for met.silo shooting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts