Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Got a Stevens mod 85, 410 bolt action detachable magazine. Guy said it was broke. Looked at it and saw that it was missing one of the extractors. Paid him a few dollars for the gun. Took the remaining extractor out and made a mirror image of it out of a hardened nail. Matched the spring put it together. Also did a complete refinish on it (cold blue) and stock refinish. Showed it to the guy I got it from and he did not belive it was the same gun. That was 25 years ago. Have used it extensively ever since.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Remington Wingmaster 12 ga (now a dedicated turkey gun with a cantilever mount and scope). Really cheap shotguns never appealed to me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My father gave me a 20 gauge Maverick pump a while back. For an inexpensive shotgun, it is pretty decent.

I occasionally hunt small game, but not enough to justify buying something expensive. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I added my Maverick to a very good Winchester 120 bird gun. I bought the Mav for $100, paid about $97 more for an 18.5" open barrel. Both barrels shoot just like you'd want them to. That pump action feeds very well. Always hits the target, and is completely versatile. I'd buy another Mossberg, if I ever had a need for one. I have come to appreciate how good shotguns really are. I'd bet that I would be just as happy with anybody's brand.

·
Noisemaker extraordinaire
620 Posts
The good-'ol 870

I bought my Remington 870 Express as a home defense gun 24 years ago for $179. It has an 18 inch barrel, and the shorter "youth" stock for maneuverability in tight quarters (I kinda like how it pulls in so tight to your shoulder now!)

After 24 years of use and several thousand shot shells fired, it still works like new and (ALMOST) looks new.

Can't ask for better than that.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cheapest?..,well if free, due to being a gift qualifies as chepest, then my Stevens Model 94 series K 12 ga. I received it from my father as my birthday present when I turned 12 Y.O. he also bought me a box of 3" magnums # 5 shot to put through it initially. Found out what a shoulder held cannon feels like when you touch it off.

Candidate # 2 is a Savage model 720 12 ga. given to me by my late grandfather before he passed away.

Still have them both, along with a couple of 870 Wingmasters in 12 ga.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My model 500 Mossberg .410, fixed choke full, $125.00 OTD when the Cocoa Florida Walmart was getting out of the gun business. Squirrels fear it and me when I carry it. Keep yer powder dry.........robin :cool:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Revelation , Western Auto store brand, bolt action , single shot , 410 shotgun.
When my daddy gave it to me that cold Christmas morning in 1961, I thought it was the finest gun on the face of the earth. Still think of the old man when I pick it up.
Mamma didn't want me to have a gun , he hid it in the trunk of his car and didn't bring it out until we were unwrapping presents , she didn't know about it and I'm sure he caught a lot of flack from mom on that end around . That was brave of him to do that for me, he was a good Dad. I still have the 410 too .
Gary

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My Remington 20 guage Model 870 Express that I purchased used but in excellent shape several years ago. When I handle it I certainly miss the walnut stocks and gloss blued steel from yesteryear, but this shotgun handles and performs just like all 870's. It's a great little shotgun!:)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
This is my Rock Island Armory model M5. Price was about $200, runs what you feed it, and a lot of features for the price. Cheap but a better gun than you would expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Winchester model 12. I have some Remington 870s and they are really good shotguns, I also absolutely love my 1187, and mossberg 590, but the model 12 is the one.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I really like my 870 Supermag. It was a gift from my father, so I don't really know how much it cost, but it's my go to when I need a shotgun.

·
Registered
499 Posts
New favorite shotgun

Some years ago, I found an H&R Topper 12 gauge in Missouri. It was made in 1947 and except for the condition, a dead ringer for my first shotgun. Only this one was 95% and in the original box with owner's manual! Naturally it followed me home, reminding me of those walks in the fields and woods of my youth. Last Sunday, an event caused me to remember the circumstances of the Christmas I got my first shotgun...

It was around 1968 or 1969. I really wanted a shotgun for Christmas and left more hints than Ralphie in Christmas Story. As the second of six kids and living on a very modest midwestern farm, we were used to getting only a few Christmas gifts; usually a needed new shirt or socks (Better than hand-me-downs!). The gifts were quickly distributed and Dad asked me if I got the Christmas present I wanted. I answered, "Sure Dad.." as I looked over my 'bounty' of a new shirt and a few other gifts. Then Dad pulled out an H&R shotgun with a ribbon around it and my name on the tag!! It was the exact same model as his...in fact, I glanced up at the gun rack and there was his Topper on the rack just as it always was. Only the Topper on the gun rack was worn out and rusty; Dad had given me his Topper and replaced it with a junker. I was thrilled and will remember his sacrifice always. My 'new' Topper will always remind me of Dad and my first shotgun. Dad passed last Sunday morning at 86 years old and I'll never forget him!

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
My favorite shotgun is Remington 1187. :D

I dont have a cheap one. :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
H&R Pardner Pump.

I'm not really a shotgun guy, but wanted to have a bit of everything in my collection. The Pardner is a Chinese manufactured 870 clone imported to the US by. . . the owner of Remington. Cheap (plastic stock) but works.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Given the criteria, mine is a Model 12 20 ga. Winchester Deluxe field grade(checkered stock and checkered extension forend) with vent rib $200 in '63.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My one and only 1978, Rem. Wingmaster 870, 2/3 12 gauge.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts